sshope
I apologize as this is very long winded. I am still trying to figure out how to navigate the sudden and unexpected loss.

This year is ending in one of my worst fears: losing my Olive, my sweet mini dachshund, way before her time. I began fostering Olive when she was just a few weeks old. She had to stay with me longer than her siblings due to needing surgery on a large inguinal hernia and being too tiny to get it. Over those couple extra months, I knew that I couldn't imagine life without her and I decided to adopt her. She had one of the biggest personalities I've ever seen. She always wanted attention and she made sure she got it. She had the biggest heart and never met a stranger. She would get so excited just seeing a person or dog in the vehicle next to us, in a store, or just walking down the street that she would start crying and wagging her tail unable to contain her excitement. She loved relentlessly with an endless stream of kisses. She never left my side no matter what I was doing. If I was studying she had to be in lap or laying on top of my desk or if I moved from one room to the next, she followed no matter what. She would do anything for a ball. She never tired and would play fetch for hours and hours. She would run and jump on me like a little kid and throw her ball to us as soon as she woke up. She loved to put her ball under furniture, in a bathtub, in any unreachable place and then bark/cry incessantly until we got it... and then did it again. She never stopped wagging her tail. She loved to play tag, chase squirrels, and dig and dig. For some reason she loved socks and it didnt matter if they were clean or dirty, she wanted them. She loved to snuggle and burrow under blankets. She loved to lay in the sun. She was demanding, loving and spoiled and so smart, funny, and joyful. Each new toy she got she acted like it was the best toy in on the planet. She was always so enthusiastic. She was so vocal. I would do anything just to hear her bark and make the silliest noises again. She was my support through any struggle. She helped through so many tough times. She made me the happiest and feel so loved. She was truly my best friend. Every day I looked forward to being with her. I am so thankful to have been blessed to have been her family for the way too short 4 years she had on this earth. Never did I think I would lose her so soon. It all started when she had a seizure on a friday afternoon. At the vet they did blood work which only showed elevated kidney levels (BUN, Creatinine, and phosphorus.) They assumed she was dehydrated and gave her fluids and started her on anti seizure medications. She had her yearly physical and shots one month prior and she was supposed t get bloodwork and I was charged for it. I never heard from them about the lab results and assumed that meant it was all normal- she was a very healthy young adult dog. After they told me the lab results from the day of the seizure, I asked if her bloodwork from one month ago was normal. And they informed me that they never sent it in and therefore didnt have the results... We took her home that afternoon and she did well, though not totally herself. Then about 11 pm that night, she had another seizure that lasted 7 mins. We rushed her to a 24 hour emergency veterinary hospital where she had cluster seizures that required her to receive multiple doses of diazepam and then an anesthetic to get it to stop. They wanted to keep her overnight and see if it was more than just epilepsy. The next morning when I caIled for an update we got the worst news. She had a large, very vascular tumor that encased her whole left kidney to the point that it wasnt functioning and had begun to reach across to her right kidney. Throughout the day and night she developed disseminated intravascular coagulation. At that point the emergency vet told us there was no real other option then to put her to sleep. I am so angry at our regular veterinary office for not running the bloodwork that I paid for a month ago. Though it may not have been able to make a difference in the long run, we would have at least been able to pursue options or at least known that our time together was coming to an end. I trusted them to care for her and they didn't. I am so completely devastated and still in disbelief by losing her. Her absence is so tangible in our lives. I should have had another 10 years with her. I will miss her for the rest of my life. Olive was the best dog and friend anyone could ever ask for and I've never loved someone or something so much. Losing her is so hard to bear. I dont know how to be without her.
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
I am very sorry for your loss of your sweet, adorable Olive. Clearly she was very much loved and had a very happy life. I know she brought you much joy and it is not fair she was taken so young. I cannot imagine why a vet would take blood and then not send it for analysis. Your anger is understandable. I hope in time happy memories help ease your pain.

My condolences,
Jan
Quote 0 0
squares
She was a beautiful girl with the sweetest face.  I'm so sorry that things happened the way they did, and her life was far too short.  My thoughts are with you, and I hope that you will find some peace soon.
Quote 0 0
sshope
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your kind words.
Quote 1 0
JCat
So very sorry for your loss. My what a beauty she was, and those eyes! My min pin died at 6 yrs old back in May, yet it still feels like yesterday. The daily crying sessions feel like they'll never subside.  For Olive's short time on this earth, she couldn't have been in better hands. She'll watch over you! Know you did your best! Maybe the new year will be bring some new magic to our lives. 

Quote 0 0
Wileykitten
Your little Olive was so beautiful.. Such a heartbreaking story I'm so sorry for the loss of your baby. My cat, Sevyn had CKD and seizures. Your story resonated with me when you spoke of cluster seizures and going to the ER Vet. I understand your heartache.. It's devastating.

Please know you are not alone.. Prayers are being lifted for you both.

Love,
Stacie
Quote 0 0