Peach
She was doing fine, then over the weekend she just stopped eating. I took her to the vet and they told me the best they could do was give her meds to make her comfortable, which may or may not help her appetite. At best, it would buy me a few more days with her.
I made the decision to let her go. I'm now looking back and thinking maybe I should have fought for those few extra days but I don't know if that's being selfish or in denial???

I'm sorry Cleo!!! I hope you don't think I abandoned you because I didn't mean to. I love you so much and all I could think at the time is that I didn't want you to suffer. I hope you know that!! Family should never be left behind like your previous owners did to you!!! I will always love you my little old ladybug and I will never forget you, ever. Rest well at Rainbow Bridge and share some of those kisses I gave you with Beck. 
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened” ~ Anatole France
Quote 0 0
LaGata
I'm sorry for your loss. Hospice.....a tough decision, I think you made the right choice not to let your baby suffer.
Quote 0 0
mrcatsam
It is neither selfish nor denial. In my eyes, you acted selflessly, wanting to protect them, but realising they were just in pain.  Losing a pet is losing a child, a sibling, a member of the family who's with you all day, every day. There's no correct answer to life, death, and the mystery of it all, but I can offer you my support in this time of loss.

Sincerely,
Samuel
Quote 0 0
Peach
LaGata wrote:
I'm sorry for your loss. Hospice.....a tough decision, I think you made the right choice not to let your baby suffer.

Thank you, I think I made the right choice too. I just feel so guilty right now. I hope Cleo knows I did what I thought was best. 
mrcatsam wrote:
It is neither selfish nor denial. In my eyes, you acted selflessly, wanting to protect them, but realising they were just in pain.  Losing a pet is losing a child, a sibling, a member of the family who's with you all day, every day. There's no correct answer to life, death, and the mystery of it all, but I can offer you my support in this time of loss.

Sincerely,

Thank you for saying so. I've had my share of loses and from experience I find losing a pet is the loneliest type of loss. I find I grieve even more alone with pet loss. I appreciate sites like these because it brings people that see pets as family together and who understand this isn't just a sad day in life, it's a death of a loved one.

I think I will use this site to talk to them too. I've never done that before, I've seen many posts like it. And when I talked to Cleo in my first post of this thread it made me feel way better.
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened” ~ Anatole France
Quote 0 0
codysmum102
I am so sorry you lost your furbaby. I lost my Cody 7 weeks ago and am still grieving. Sending your loved one over the rainbow bridge is such a hard decision but like you I didn't want my baby boy to suffer. I have a thread on here that I use to "talk" to my boy and it does seem to help. We do whatever we have to do to get by. It is so very hard.
Take care,
Julie
Julie 💔
"Grief only exists where love lived first."
--Franchesca Cox
Quote 0 0
Peach
codysmum102 wrote:
I am so sorry you lost your furbaby. I lost my Cody 7 weeks ago and am still grieving. Sending your loved one over the rainbow bridge is such a hard decision but like you I didn't want my baby boy to suffer. I have a thread on here that I use to "talk" to my boy and it does seem to help. We do whatever we have to do to get by. It is so very hard.
Take care,
Julie

Thank you , I'm sorry for the loss of your Cody.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade
When the time came you did what you had to do. You did not prolong the inevitable. You did not prolong your beloved's possible pain and suffering and anguish. You ended it.

I was faced with a similar scenario. I also chose to let my boy go vs. watching him suffer. I did not know how much longer he would be existing in pain and suffering. He could no longer drink and was barely eating a tiny portion of food. He shrieked at the sound of a can of cat food being opened and when being approached with a tiny piece of turkey.

In the end I could no longer allow him to become a shadow of his former noble self. I had to let him go. I had to think of his needs and not my own. Even if it completely destroyed me and my life. And it did destroy me. It drove me insane with grief. But at least he was calm before he was put to sleep. He went out still knowing who I was and that I loved, cherished and adored him. And that means the World to me. 

I am sorry for your loss.

My kindest regards and most sincere condolences,
James
Quote 0 0
Peach
Thank you for your kind words, and sorry for the loss of your baby boy. I hope that the grief isn't as heavy for you - of course it never goes away but it does become something we learn to live with. It's so hard to let them go but that is the cost of love.  
Quote 0 0
Peach
I realize this thread is vague and somewhat incomplete, so I wanted to reiterate what happened with my Little Old Ladybug...

Her name was Cleo and I adopted her on February 18th, 2019. It was a spur of the moment decision brought on by the recent passing of my soulmate, Beck (pic in my avatar) on February 2nd 2019, and what would have been my mother's 67th birthday on February 15th. 

I had found a non profit organization devoted to senior cats who needed homes. I had my mind set on picking the oldest cat there, no matter what.

She was tiny, 3.5 kg in weight, and 17 years old. She was in early stages of kidney failure. Her owners had "turned her outside" as the site kindly worded it. I immediately filled out the online form and submitted it. In the back of my mind I couldn't help but wonder if I was rushing into something because I was grieving for the loss of my Beck. But I went through with the adoption process anyways. 

Three days later I picked her up and took her to what I would refer to as her cozy little retirement home. She adjusted well, although she didn't much care for my other two cats. But we made it work and she spent most of her time in my room, sitting on my bed with a hot water balloon. She was content, and I always looked forward to coming home from work and laying in bed with her snuggled up beside me, stealing my warmth. At first she seemed confused by affection, I don't think she received much of it from her previous family. She grew to like it and even began giving me small licks (kisses) on my forehead once in a while. 

She was a wonderful addition to my little family. 

She passed away with me by her side on March 2nd 2020. It had been my decision after her last checkup showed progression of the kidney disease - it was now at its final stages.

Whether or not I had rushed into things by adopting her, I may never know. The mind is hard to decipher when it's reeling from grief. But what I do know is I do not regret it. I was blessed to have had her in my life for a year, and that she got to know what it's like to have a forever home.

One day I will help out another senior cat because too often older animals are overlooked. For the time being I need to look after myself and my last living cat, Nile. I've had him since he was a kitten and he has always had older siblings. My second eldest cat Sphinx passed away from Leukemia on May 28th, so now it's just him and I. He's grieving too and I need to focus all my love and attention on him.

Quote 0 0
Peach
I meant to add a picture of her but forgot before I posted... here is my little old ladybug, Cleo:

Cleo to print - Edited.jpg 
Quote 0 0