Oceandrive1
Mia was a beautiful mini schnauzer. I got her back in August at 10 weeks old. She was two toned black/silver, with eyebrows and a beard that really stood out. She also had rabbit ears that stood straight up, as opposed to floppy. She would pull them back whenever she was excited to see someone or was being mischievous. Her favorite spot to lay was curled up between my legs. That's where she slept when she was with me.

I would say she is a good sweet girl that just likes to be bad sometimes. She loved to chew (especially my baseboards which she destroyed) and especially loved shoes. If a shoe was left within her reach, she would grab it and run off with it. I really think she thought it was funny when I'd run after her trying to get my shoe back. She also loved to play chase. If I'd try to grab her she would jump away real quick. This would be aggravating when I was getting ready to leave the house. She would also stay with my mother a couple nights a week when I had to work and they very attached. She loved me and my mom and was very protective of us, and we loved her.

Last week we were at a party at my grandma's. At about 9:30 that night, the door for left open and as soon as mia saw it, she made her escape. You could never let her off leash outside, or she would run off and you could never catch her. She's just so quick. She ran full speed to the road with cars coming and there are no street lights. I flagged down one or two cars and got there attention. She ran to the corner of the road and looked at me with excitement on her face because she thought we were playing. She then ran and was going to do a loop in the middle of the road and that is when the front edge of a car smashed into her. It hit her so hard flung her through the air and knocked her collar off. This happened 10 feet in front of me. I picked her up and just wanted to get her to the emergency vet. My aunt drove me and my mom there and I held mia in my arms the whole time. I didn't want to believe it but I knew she was dead. The vet said it was instant.

I never cried so much in my life. It's been a week and i'm completely devastated. She was only 10 months old. She was so stubborn and hard headed but so perfect at once. I'm 27 and she was supposed to be with me until I was almost 40. This feels like I've lost a child and companion. How do I even think of getting another dog when this one was so perfect and so loved?

I do look back though and I see all the blessings we had that last weekend. I didn't do anything that weekend and I'm so glad I didn't. Mia and I lounged around the house. We went to the dog park 4 days in a row, including the day she died. She made a friend or two on those days. She had escaped earlier that day she died also, and had made her way down the street to a field of golden rod. She was hopping through the flowers and sunlight, and even though I was mad that she wouldnt come to me when I called her, she looked so beautiful in that field. I also feel she died happy and didn't know what hit her. Right before she was hit, she gave me a "dog laugh" and thought she was playing with me. She also didn't get decapitated or very beat up from the impact.

We had her cremated and her ashes are home and in a pretty urn.

Sorry if this is long and rambling but I needed to get this off my chest.
Quote 0 0
Sooz
I am so very sorry for your tragic loss!  I cannot imagine the horror of seeing this happen to your little one, right in front of you!  What a beautiful picture of your girl Mia.  I know things will never be the same for you, and your telling about how Mia was hopping through the field of flowers in the sunlight, and giving you her dog laugh, made me smile through the tears. 
Heaven is the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you.
Quote 0 0
Snowfire
I am so sorry and feel your loss. I lost my cat Timber a week ago and he was supposed to make it to 20 this summer. My broken heart to yours. God Bless.
Quote 0 0
zakatak
Hi Mia's Mom,

I am so very sorry for your loss - I also lost my puppy recently.  On March 28th, my 8 month old Great Dane puppy, Duncan, had a heart attack while laying down for a nap on the couch.  I was in the other room, heard a horrible howl and ran to him but he was gone, instantly.  I tried compressions and screaming, nothing brought him back to me.

It's a different kind of loss that we are going through.  I lost my 9 year old Newfie less than a year ago and this loss of Duncan is so much harder.  I think our brains know that time is coming to and end when our animals are older.  But a sudden loss, at such a young age, our brains don't know what to do with it.  We are not just grieving the loss of our pet, we are grieving the time we "assumed" we were going to have as well.  The future we were planning on.  All that disappeared in a second and our brains and our hearts are just stunned.  

I walked around for at least a week in what felt like a nightmare.  I could care less about eating, working, anything - I just wanted to wake up from the damn nightmare!  And one day, it dawned on me that it wasn't a nightmare - it was my new reality and I had no choice but to move forward without my Duncan.

It's a slow move, for sure... I still cry every day.  Just not all day which is an improvement.  I've made him a photo collage for the wall - with his Rules for a Happy Life (things he used to do so we would never, ever forget them).  He is upstairs on my bookshelf with my Newfie and I do say goodnight each night to both of them.

I took the lesson from this to be more grateful, never assume anyone has a tomorrow and be more mindful each day.  Nobody is ever promised a tomorrow and well, the lesson SUCKS but hopefully we can move forward as a more mindful person.  

When you're ready, Mia will show you to a new friend.  She wouldn't want you to suffer too long but she'll know when the moment is right.  Just listen...
Karen

*  Duncan the Dane - taken WAY too soon (7/27/17 - 3/28/18)
*  Missing Dudley the Newf (3/13/08 - 6/12/17)
Quote 0 0
Shortnsassy87
Dear Oceandrive1,
I’m so sorry for the loss of Mia. I lost my Beowulf a week ago today, and it truly does feel like I’ve lost a child as well. My baby was a 9 year old bullmastiff mix so he was already within his average life expectancy, but he appeared to have so much energy until shortly before he got sick. It was quite sudden. I thought we had more years together, and part of me is in shock that I lost him so quickly; I realized Sunday his breathing was labored and recognized that he was in congestive heart failure so I rushed him to the vet, but his results came back on Monday with tumors in his chest and abdomen. I put him to sleep Tuesday because the only thing we could do at that point was “make him comfortable”. I was in shock as I’m sure that’s how you feel as well. I’m still in shock. I also cry every day. Sometimes I have panicky moments when it actually dawns on me that my baby is really gone. It feels like a nightmare, and I’m drowning in my pain of losing my sweet baby. I brought Beowulf’s ashes home Thursday, and sometime they are a comfort but other times it makes me angry. I snapped to my husband that all I have of my baby are “stupid ashes”. I wish he could understand, but I know he doesn’t even while he tries to pretend he does. Rainbow’s Bridge is the only socializing I feel up to when I’m not having to work. You have come to the right place for support...everyone here understands how you are feeling and has experienced the pain themselves.
Quote 0 0
camunki
my heart aches for you and your sweet Mia, as this is a tragic accident.

Please do not consume yourself with guilt, i know that losing any pet under any circumstance, the guilt phase always comes to mind. You loved your lil' girl and she was a bundle of energy, and forever loved by you.

My heart breaks knowing what you had so see and the feelings that go along with it in the aftermath.

Please know your baby Mia is in no pain anymore on a new adventure, always waiting for you....til you meet again!!

Cam

Quote 0 0