AZTiger98

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums and community.  Joined today, because I fear I'm close to losing my beloved furbaby Stormy - 11 year-old tabby.  And the pain and hurt is killing me inside.  How I'm even making it through work today, or how I'm going to get through next week, I honestly don't know.

I adopted Stormy from the local humane society about 7 years ago.  I had gone looking for a young kitten, because I was going through a very rough time in life and, knowing little about the "typical" life span of cats, didn't want to take a chance on getting an older cat and then having to suffer through that loss in the near-term (nothing against older pets, just wouldn't have been a good idea for me at the time). The staff, though, asked me if I would consider a cat who was a little older, and I said I’d at least take a look, even though I wasn’t initially thrilled with the idea. But, Stormy was SO cute.  As we walked by her cage, she started meowing and pawing at the cage door like, “Hi! I want to play with you!”.  When we opened the door, she immediately shrank to the back of the cage, but then when it was closed again, she started meowing and pawing at us.  I decided to give her a chance.  Her card said she’d do best as an “only pet”, and at the time I was a bachelor with no children or furbabies, so I thought that would be perfect.  Life has changed those situations quite a bit, as I’m now married with children and some other furbabies, but she has stuck by me through it all with completely unconditional love.

Long story short (as I know there’s another forum for memories and plan to post there later), the last 7 years with her have been more wonderful than I could ask for.  She’s 11 years old now.  Still sleeps with me at night, still tries to wake me up in the mornings if my alarm doesn’t get me up, still comes and follows me around the bathroom in the mornings while I get ready for work.  And occasionally sits in my lap once the house is quiet and my kids and other pets are in bed.  She’s at the point now where her colon isn’t contracting properly, so relieving herself isn’t always the most “pleasant” experience – and apparently she is occasionally having accidents outside the litterbox.

My wife is thinking it’s time for Stormy to make the journey to Rainbow Bridge, but I can’t bring myself to consider that yet.  I struggle, not because I want Stormy to suffer, but because I feel like sending her on that final journey at this point would ultimately be for no reason other than “cleaning up after her is inconvenient.”   Even though we have other furbabies, the thought of losing “Daddy’s little girl” is ripping my heart to shreds.

Well, I’m going to close this out now, as it’s starting to make me cry again, and I’ve still got half a day of work to go.  Thanks for listening, all.  I’m sure when the time DOES finally come, I’ll probably be posting here again to help deal with THAT load of grief…but I knew if I didn’t at least get this off my chest now, it was going to keep eating at me.

David

David

Daddy to beloved fur baby Stormy
08/2003 - 05/19/18
Stormy’s Residency https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/STORM059/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
animal_qwackers
Hi, David,

I am so sorry to hear of the turmoil you are going through with your beloved furbaby, Stormy. She sounds like such a little darling.

It is a terrible time when our furbabies become ill and our heads and hearts are taken on a relentless, tormented roller coaster of emotions and stress. I have experienced the loss of my beloved tabby in July this year (21 weeks to the day actually) and, in September, my beautiful German Shepherd made his journey to the Rainbow Bridge. Losing my canine and feline soul mates, less than ten weeks apart, has been heartbreaking, nerve shattering, and gut wrenching. I am still trying to come to terms with the losses I have endured.

Have you had Stormy to the vet for his/her opinion? If not, it may be best to take her and find out if she is suffering badly. If she is, then it really is the best solution to say farewell to her and it won't be because she is causing an inconvenience to you and your family, it will be because she is in pain and misery and you would not want that for your beloved little girl. None of us want to see our pets suffer unnecessarily – unfortunately, it does happen, as sometimes it is unavoidable but, in an ideal world, no pet owner/animal lover wants to see their furbabies in distress.

I sincerely hope that Stormy can hang on a while longer and bring further joy and happiness to your world. However, if she is miserable, you have to do what is best for her. She can't make that decision. You must do it for her.

I wish you the very best. Please keep us posted on what is happening with Stormy.

Hugs to you, and cuddles to Stormy.

Wendy

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Jack Lemmon

Solly, Gonzo, Daisy-Mae, Ebony, Jerry, Tigger, Bonnie, Suzy, Cleo, Spike, Sooty, and Tibby – dazzling lights that will never fade. Adored, cherished, I was privileged to know you all. Until we meet again, my beautiful babies. Bowls of love and cuddles, your ever-loving, devoted Mummy xxxxxxxxxx

Quote 0 0
shantismom
All of us have had to make decisions about when our babies time is up.  Only you can decide if Stormy is there yet.  My Shanti had bowel problems and he did sometimes go outside the litter box but when he did it was right outside and on the newspaper that was under the box so it wasn't that hard to clean up.  He had to go over the rainbow bridge when he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer so his bowel problems didn't factor in.
There are other things to consider at times, family factors, cat droppings would not be healthy for your
children to get into and it can be a mess. I am trying to think of what your wife is seeing.  Maybe Stormy is in pain when trying to go, that would also factor in.
All of us no matter what, feel guilty, we wonder if we could have done more, for me I just think that maybe with pain meds my Shanti could have lived comfortably for a while longer.  He had a number of things wrong and at the last diagnoses I just said, he has had enough, it is time to let him go.  Now with my broken heart I rethink that but really I do know it was best.
I will pray that you will have wisdom, that you will do the right thing for Stormy and your family and when you do have to say goodbye you will find comfort in that fact.

Marlene Wagner
Quote 0 0
AZTiger98
Thanks, y'all.

To answer your questions from earlier, my wife IS the vet.  I don't really want to get into the reasons why I disagree with her assessment, b/c I don't want to feel like I'm bashing her, but I don't think Stormy's reached a point where she's in pain and has no quality of life left. Since the initial conversation my wife and I had about it (which was the night prior to my posting here), Stormy actually seems to me like she's feeling fine...certainly not bad enough to be at a point of "no quality of life left." She may still be having a hard time with going, but she's not lying around howling in pain, either.  She pretty much stays in our bedroom in the bed most of the day, but she's done that ever since we got kids 3 years ago - she doesn't like all the noise and sudden movements they make.  She comes out when things are quiet in the evenings and either sits in my lap or on the back of the couch behind me.

I do appreciate the encouragement and words of comfort.  I don't know how much longer I'll have with my little girl, but I'm trying to treasure every moment as much as I can.

Will continue to keep you updated as best I can especially if things take a turn for the worse.

David
David

08/2003 - 05/19/18
Stormy’s Residency https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/STORM059/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
AZTiger98
Decided to start writing out some things that I know I will want down the road whenever Stormy makes the trip to Rainbow Bridge.  She seems to be feeling ok these days - not showing any signs of pain or anything, which is good.  I started on a list of memories of her - got through almost 3 typed pages, and by the time I was done, I was an emotional wreck.  Then tried typing out a little bit of a last will and testament, and THAT set me crying.

Today, I started writing down some poetry that was coming to mind.  Didn't finish it, but I got a pretty good start on it - so maybe it'll be something I'll put aside for now and add to as time goes.

One of these days, maybe I'll post some of that stuff on here.

To all who are currently struggling with the loss of a furbaby, my heart goes out to you.

David
David

08/2003 - 05/19/18
Quote 0 0
AZTiger98
Update on Stormy - We're getting her some medicine to see if it will help her with her difficulty in relieving herself.  We tried a med from a compounding pharmacy.  It worked the first time, but it hasn't worked since.  My wife is wondering if the pharmacy didn't research it very well and sent us a 2-week supply that wouldn't be any good after about 1 day.

The good thing is that even though Stormy's system appears backed up, she isn't crying in pain or howling.  We're going to try an enema to see if that will help her get cleaned out and are still trying to figure out if we can get some medicine that will be long-term helpful.  What my wife can feel in Stormy's intestines also doesn't feel "dried out", so things SHOULD be ok if we can just get her going to the litterbox on a daily basis.

David
David

08/2003 - 05/19/18
Quote 0 0
spiritdog
I am glad your wife is working with you. It must be hard with her being a vet. Take lots of pictures or videos of Stormy on good days, and good times. I wish you all more time.
spiritdog

"People disappoint, dogs never do" - spiritdog

"You MUST be your pets ADVOCATE, if it doesn't feel right walk away." - spiritdog
Quote 0 0
Beesmom123
Hi David
I'm glad Stormy is hanging in there

Have you considered Cisipride? This is a motility agent to help the colon contract
I have a similar problem with my cat Liam, who has had several episodes where he was very bound up, impacted
I use it in a liquid form from local compounding pharmacy, squirt in his mouth , the pharmacy can make it in many flavors
I also have it in capsule form , and can be mixed in their food
I also give him 1/4 teaspoon of Miralax in food twice daily to soften the stool
Miralax is available over the counter for humans

Hang in there , I know this is a challenging problem but I like you can't see a cat having to lose his life for a problem like this Lima is otherwise a healthy handful of a cat and only 12.5 years old
Bee- "Good night sweet prince & flights of angels see thee to thy rest"
Quote 0 0
AZTiger98
Hi Beesmom,

Cisapride is exactly what we're trying.  My wife tried ordering it from a local compounding pharmacy to try and get it quicker and without having to have it shipped, and they messed up the solution (she thinks).  I don't know if what we're giving Stormy now is the rest of that solution (it did start working eventually), or if we've already gotten the latest shipment from medsforvets - but it seems to be helping.  Stormy's eating like a pig and seems to have more energy these days...she's even ventured out of the bedroom earlier in the evenings (though still not until after the kids and dogs are down for the night).

Praying and hoping she continues to hang in there with this.

Thanks for the support and reply.  Much appreciated.

David
David

08/2003 - 05/19/18
Quote 0 0
Beesmom123
David
Glad to hear things are looking up for Stormy

Good luck with everything , sending positive thoughts!

Diana

Bee- "Good night sweet prince & flights of angels see thee to thy rest"
Quote 0 0
redcoffe
Praying and hoping she continues to hang in there with this.

Bellamum
Hi David,
I am glad that Stormy is improving.  It is so nice to read some positive news on the forum.  It helps us all smile a little once more.
I will keep you and Stormy in my thoughts.  Enjoy every moment with her.
Karen
(Bella, Charli and Buddy's very lucky mum)

My gorgeous girl, Bella  26/07/2004 - 03/04/2014
"You were once by our side, but you will be forever in our hearts. Until we meet again baby girl."
Quote 0 0
Julia_Loves_McCartney
Hi David, my prayers are going out to you and Stormy. I hope that she continues to improve. Please keep us updated!

~I love you eternally, McCartney boy~

You can visit my kitty McCartney's Rainbow Bridge Memorial here: http://www.rainbowbridge.com/residents/MCCAR001/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
Apollo_the_great
I'm so sorry
William
Quote 0 0
ehloar
Hi David, sending love and prayers for your Stormy girl, that she keeps improving. I am partial to Tabbies, as my lovely FatCat was tortoiseshell tabby, and my Morris, is (as his name implies) an orange classic tabby. Keep us updated, and reach out if you need us!
[fVv4TwH] 
Itty Bitty "Fat Cat" 
<3 1998 - 9.25.13
[OlggnSk] 
Serena <3 4.13.02 - 1.13.15

You can visit Serena's Rainbow Residency here
Quote 0 0