laudirandell Show full post »
laudirandell
Hi SHaron,

I did indeed talk to another vet and he feels I did the right thing but he is just going on what I am telling him without having actually seen Zambo. I also went back to talk to my vet on this past Tuesday and like any vet she thinks I made a perfectly sound decision and the best one for him. She didn't feel that xrays were going to change the outcome an the only way to potentially determine a diagnosis was to have that mri or ct scan. How is it we determine quality of life? his stumbling and periodic rolling, were his greatest issues. his head tilt he could have adjusted to as we humans sometimes have to do after a stroke or loss of a limb. He was so willing to eat and drink which doesn't scream dying dog to me. His willingness and the fact that he could still stand, walk with a stagger says I should have disregarded the vet, gave him a little more time and get second opinion. 

laudi
laudi
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

H Laudi,

I wondered if it was a Vestibular issue in my boy Marmalade, and did extensive research, but prior to, during and post Marmalade's ear canal surgery (he had X-rays prior to his operation) 2 separate Animal Hospitals could not properly diagnosis his symptoms. The trouble is even with blood tests, Ultrasound(s), X-Rays and MRI / CT Scan Vet's and Animal Hospitals can still miss things and misdiagnosis and their are no guarantees. Including brain cancer. And symptoms can be applied to a myriad of other potential health issues such as all kinds of other head cancer ( mouth, lower jaw, throat, ear, etc.)

And the ongoing tests, treatments, the endless medications etc. can negatively impact overall quality of life.

As we know, our pets can't communicate the pain they are feeling. Once again, they are pack animals, so they will try and hide whatever pain or suffering they are enduring to avoid being ostracized. Even if we don't push them out of our family unit, they are still instinctively wired to feel that danger. And as we discussed, they also feel it is their job to show us love, to entertain us (make us laugh & smile) and keep us company etc. They can't speak English. They can't communicate potential side effects (such as "My stomach hurts" "I have pain in my intestines" "My head hearts" "It is hard to breath" "I feel disoriented Mommy" "I'm terrified Daddy" etc.) They just bare the pain and suffering as we continue to treat them. They endure it for US. But when is enough enough? Is it worth it for them to continue to live if they are in agony? Just so that they can continue to keep us company a little longer?

It is so easy to have our pets continuously tested, man-handled, examined, injected, treated, operated on and administered medication, but they may be experiencing torture in their minds. They may not think that it is ever going to end, as they perceive time only in the present, nor do they realize that they will eventually feel better. As Jackie (a fellow member here) once posted. She "did not want her boy to become a science experiment." I had to remember this in order to try and allow myself to heal.

But I understand your feelings, emotions and position. I still blame myself also, every single day and night. : ** (

Hugs,
James

Quote 0 0
laudirandell
Hi James,

I thank you for your support and understand your opinion. You definitely seem to be the person on here who uplifts everyone that is struggling from loss.
I know the endless tests are exhausting and the medications come with many side effects but my little guy was never on any medications nor was he put through endless tests. A blood draw and urine dip was the extent of his tests. It was my vets obligation to make sure I was informed of all options that were available and to ensure I as a pet parent fully understood my dogs symptoms and prognosis. Now that I am able to look back and analyze the situation, the day I went into her office for the final time with him I was completely historical, I couldn't think and all I think about is her saying you can't leave him to suffer like this and then the next thing I am making an appointment to have him euthanized. She wasn't supportive, she clearly didn't acknowledge my feelings or the fact I wasn't of sound mind to comprehend everything. I even remember her looking at me and saying well we can do it today at 1230...what vet suggests that so quickly. he was on his death bed not even close. I had all of his records sent to me and took them to 3 other vets who said the situation was handle very wrongly and she should have at least explained and exhausted all options, made sure I understood why she came to the conclusion that his life needed to be over. Having him assessed by a neurologists was something that I should have been referred to. Having an MRI completed isn't a painful process, its something that needs to happen to determine the underlying cause especially when a dogs symptoms are neurological. I may have euthanized my dog when all he had was a severe bought of vestibular syndrome. I made a decision based on a lack of information from my vet. 
laudi
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

I'm confused Laudi. You mention numeros medications being administered in your original post. And your boy was examined repeatedly at the Vet's. : / 

I understand your feelings about the Vets. I will never trust one again, nor will I ever trust a so-called Animal Hospital. I took my Marmalade to 5 Vets, 3 of those being at Animal Hospitals and all misdiagnosed or could not cure him. I totally understand. Having an MRI is painful to an animal as being knocked out against their will is TERRIFYING for most. They do not know what is occuring as they are forced to pass out. It's also disorienting and often has side effects. I know you will not hear me on this, but I am trying to help.

James
Quote 0 0
redgirlraven
I had nearly the same situation as you about 15 years ago with my cat Pink, and the choice I made has always haunted me.  She started having seizures, almost constantly one day after having a dental cleaning.  
I done know what caused it.  I never will.  I put her on anti-seizure meds, did blood work etc. but when it came to getting a CAT scan I simply didn't have the money - and if she had a tumor I would never have been able to pay for chemo or surgery.  I let her go.  It was horrible, and I too felt stressed and under pressure.  When they are seizing it is torturous to watch.  She would be post-ictil when she was conscious and drugged when she was awake from the meds.  She was only 3 and she was amazing.  I grieved and grieved.
Now I came here because of my sweet Roary - who you can look back through posts and read about.  I did everything for him... imaging, ICU, you name it- and sadly he died on the operating room table, I wasn't there to hold him as he passed.  Its tears me up in the worst way. Its been 7 months and I still cry and visit here.
I guess my point is, we can do everything and they can still die and the time we spent doing everything (life I did) is sometimes scary and torturous and if I could do it over again with Roary I would not do what I did but have him put to sleep in his home with his brothers.  But if I could do it over with Pink I would have begged borrowed and stole to get the money for a CAT scan.  It will never be the right decision when they end up dead.  It's hell no matter hat we do. Now we just have to try and heal together.  I am sorry for your loss.
AR
Quote 0 0
laudirandell
Hi James

Sorry if I dou d confusing. I mean he wasn't on any long term meds over the course of his life until the last week of October then it was a week of something dor dizziness, then the prednisone for a konth. The vet should have never put him on seizure meds because he wasn't having seizures it was vestibular rolling and he started these only two days befor he passed. I could afford to have the mri and to see the neurologist but I trusted my vet when I should have taken him for a second opinion. I had him eithanized as a resultnof what ifs and an MRI would have given me some sort of peace. I'm not sure I agree with you in terms of having an MRI because it isn't an invasive procedure. Yes they go under general anesthesia but that isn't a painful experience and its so quick that an animal would be asleep. What if it was something that was treatble and I put him down for no reason. My vet misinformed me, didn't provide me support, didn't ensure I was fully informed and as a result I am without my baby. Vets love the almigty dollar NOT animals.
laudi
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Please re-read your first post. All kinds of meds were mentioned. But I am not here to try and disrespect you, rather to try and make you feel better, so I will keep my opinions to myself, other than to ask you to consider this scenario - If you (like a pet) had no idea what was going on, and you were put under? you would be afraid you were dying. Believe it. It IS traumatic for any animal. They have no clue what is happening to them, all they know is their system and consciousness is shutting down against their will, which to them must feel like dying. So I respectfully disagree. And yes, I do agree that the vets and animal hospitals the majority of the time, at least in my experience, feed off of pet parents fear, anxiety, and worry and are all about cashing out at the end of our pets lives. 

James
Quote 0 0
laudirandell
Hi James

I truly apologize and I don't take any disrespect from your opinions. I know you are truly trying to make me feel better. I'm just having a hard time to accept that what I did for Zambo was enough and that I didn't fail him by not really knowing what was wrong with him and questioning everything after the fact which doesn't matter because he will never return. I am just really struggling with all of this. The grief and guilt is so overwhelming I can barely function. I have been so depressed, I have lost 26 lbs in just 4 weeks, I just don't know how to come to terms with the decision I made...I joined this forum to try and gain some understanding. I'm sorry if I offended you or I seem to disgree with your opinions....I am just not coping well without him and moving forward seems almost neat impossible. May I ask where it is you reside?

laudi
laudi
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Hi Laudi,

I'm in Los Angeles, Ca. Not even, I totally understand. I didn't mean to sound like that if I did, no tone in posts and comments as you know, so kind of difficult at times to read into what people actually mean. I too lost a lot of weight. I stopped eating almost altogether. Had to force myself to do so as I was anemic in 2018 and ended up having to the hospital.

I wish you healing and peace. It is obvious how much you adored, loved and cherished your beloved pup.

All best,
James
Quote 0 0