Jules_Anne
I don't feel like I can carry on. Tess died on Saturday afternoon after my father drove over her. I still can't understand how it happened she was a large dog and even though she was lying down how could he have not seen her? I am so angry with him. He is 80 and I blame him for her death. I keep thinking this is just a terrible dream and I will wake up. I have lost dogs before, always at the vets after a decision was made. My heart is breaking and no one understands. Think that you should be over it after a few days. I just want her back I miss her so much.
Quote 0 0
MissingScooty
Oh gosh, Jules....no it will take much much more time than a few days ...and even then, you will not completely be "over it" but eventually, in months (not sure how long, and not giving you a timeline) will be much more healed, more feeling yourself...finding a way to live without your precious dog.
Anger is all a part of it. For me, it was directed at a particular vet in the animal hospital I went to. But that's another story. You might have to yell and scream somewhere...in your car, into your pillow...wherever people can't hear you - just to let it all out. And cry too.
Missing and loving Scooter Forever
- Melissa
Quote 0 0
Eileennellie
It takes more than a few days, for sure. Everyone is different, and any amount of time is ok. It's always harder when it's a sudden and unexpected loss, in my experience. And I'm sure your father feels awful about this. If it were me in your situation, I would have to question whether he should be driving, because that could have been a child. Although our pets are like our children, and any loss of a loved one hurts, there are also serious legal ramifications for one of them. I'm so sorry for your loss. We all have our heart animals, the ones we know are special, once in a lifetime loves. I lost my 12 1/2 year old Doberman, Paris, 10-29-17. She had degenerative myelopathy and we had to let her go after a short and fast onset of symptoms. And I lost my 8 1/2 year old boy, Dobie Gillis, on 7-10-17 to a fatal heart arrhythmia. So although we will get more Dobermans in the future, I know they will never be as special as these two were. And that's ok. It does get less difficult as it becomes routine to be without them. It's different, and we adjust over time.
Quote 0 0
catiebee
Oh no!  I'm so very very sorry! What an awful shock and loss. For sure, it will take time, probably a long time. I am just so sorry this happened and for the terrible grief you're walking through now. Keep writing. People here care lots. 
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
Margot4Ever
Jules, I totally understand. I am grieving so bad right now that NOTHING matters. Not a thing. The only thing that would matter is if we both had our babies back in our arms and hold them forever. I am angry at the universe. How in the world could this happen to such a loving, innocent dog? It's so unfair. I can't accept it and I can't stop crying and thinking about it. I feel so bad for both of our dogs. I will never be the same. I don't think it's possible to ever be happy again, knowing what happened and I wasn't there to protect her or prevent her from being hit by a car. I blame myself. Please know that you can always talk to me. I am in the same pain that you are. I am completely SHATTERED.
Allison Sledge
Quote 0 0
Eviee
It is not easy to get over a pets death, if in case cause involves human carelessness or accidents by humans.If , sorrow immediately occurs after the death,it surely signifies require human justification ,not rendered to lost life . I just tell this from past experiences.It may probably go on for years to relapse to normal state , esp for a love unaddressed, and carelessly overridden, answer may not be easy,if the pet,even of the pet was not so close. Growing ,many other ones with care, to appease for lost love ,may help. ...though this too might take years to relieve the died ones.
Just shared my opinion, to actual facts.
Evie...
Quote 0 0
Jules_Anne
Thank you for everyone's replies. Really means so much to me. What makes it worst was that 2 years ago my elderly mother (she had a massive stroke in 2006 which was when we actually got Tess) decided to take it upon herself to take her for a walk. Our other 3 dogs obviously tried to get out too and while she was trying to get them back inside Tess simply vanished. We looked for her for a week. Her back legs were weak so we knew she couldn't have gone far. On the 6th day we discovered her down in a hole where a gas station and workshop used to be, across the road from us. She survived that with no injuries. For this to happen 2 years later just seems so cruel. While searching for her back then a dog matching her description was said to be lying by the side of the road. When we first drove up we thought it was her. Then realised the collar was different but the image of that poor dog remains with me today. Then to see Tess in the same situation tears me up. I blame both my parents for this as my mum should have known to keep all dogs inside while my dad was out.
Today I feel such anger towards them as this was one of my biggest fears and now it's become a reality. They are acting like life is normal while I want to scream and throw things. I feel such rage....
Quote 0 0
gizmomybaby
Jules am so sorry for your loss , I understand and people that think you should be over losing your baby in days obviously haven't had that precious love you had for Tess x my baby boy gizmo passed 7 month ago and I will never get over it , its ripped my insides out Av never felt pain like that in my life alough it has eased a bit life will never be the same . Plz know am thinking of you and sending hugs at this hard time x Annemarie. Candy gizmo xxx
Quote 0 0