kate16

I had to say goodbye to my Greyhound Casey 2 days ago. She was diagnosed with bone cancer 3 weeks ago, and would have been 11 on April 4. I was so lucky to have had such a wonderful baby. I adopted her from the track when she was two years old, and I truly believe she saved my life. She was there through my 20's, which was a tremendously hard time.....I guess you could say that we rescued each other. The apartment is just so quiet with her gone, and I still can't bring myself to empty her bowls of food and water. When I look around at all of her pictures (and they are everywhere!), I can't believe that she's just a memory. I can certainly say that the reality of it hasn't hit me. I was fortunate to have my mom stay with me this weekend, so I didn't feel so alone, but I just can't wrap my head around it. I can't quite imagine leaving for work on Monday and not having to take her out....then coming home and not having her greet me. I think this week is going to be next to impossible.

Quote 0 0
Dixie

Dear Kate, I am so sorry for your loss.  I can only say I know you pain and feelings of loss.  I still miss Rambo.  It will be a month on Friday since I had to say goodbye to my four legged love of my life of 13 years.  I still cry sometimes, but it is not the gut wrenching, painful crying I did the first week.  I too have pics of Rambo everywhere, even on my phone.  I guess I will always miss him.  How could I not.  Just keep talking about it with other people that understand your loss and sadness.  Each day gets a tiny bit easier.  My compassion, hugs and prayers are with you. Dixie

Quote 0 0
nalasmom
Kate, I am so sorry to hear of Casey's passing.  A love like yours will endure time.  The first few days are the hardest to come to grips with the gaping hole in your heart and the absence of Casey's presence in your day to day routine. 

When my Nala passed 3 weeks ago I kept expecting to see her in all the usual places- racing her from my office to the kitchen in the evenings for dinner, stepping over her in the mornings to get out of bed, rubbing her back while we were watching TV.  The house felt bigger/emptier without her.  I still catch myself expecting to see her when I look over to her favorite 'spot'.  After 3 days, I did put all her things away to help with the transition. 

You will encounter people who are in the same place as you on this site and those at every interval ahead and behind in experiences.  I have found for me it's comforting to share along the way- you may also as well. 
Quote 0 0
kate16

Thank you both so much. I have still not been able to put most of her things away, but did make a Casey shelf that holds her favorite things, which did help a little. My friends are being great about keeping me out of my apartment. This morning was the hardest, as I haven't yet had a work day where I didn't go through my normal "Casey barks in my face until I wake up" day. Sitting outside for a bit before work helped, but it was hard to come home to an empty place. I guess there's part of me that still doesn't quite believe that she's gone.....

Quote 0 0
dalmatian

Kate, Morning--Won't say good for I'm sure It's not.  It's going to take time, lots of time. When I had to have my Max put to sleep last SEPT. I was gave his collar. Kate It is still In my car & I still can't take It out 6 months later. I find some comfort In leaving It there. Not sure why.  Casey is with the doggie angels now & the cancer is gone. He's whole again. He'll come back from time to time to let you know how He Is. There's that word again, time. Take care & know that all of us here have you In our thoughts & prayers.  Don't do what I did though & kick a hole In the wall. THAT HURTS :-)  Marty & critters

Quote 0 0