LokiRIP
4 years ago, my family got a cat that we rescued from an animal shelter. He was a kitten and his name was Loki. He already responded to the name so we decided to keep the name. When we first got home he was immensely shy, cowering behind the couch and hiding underneath the television stand. Eventually, though, he came out of his shell and became a member of the family. He was very boisterous and liked to bite and play, but it was nothing new as we have had many cats before him. It stayed like that for 4 years and we thought it was fine. It started to escalate with him attacking unprovoked while I was sitting on the couch or biting and scratching me while I was sitting at the table doing my homework. In the beginning it was fine, but its gotten to the point where yesterday, he jumped on my dad and made a huge gash in his cheek that needed stitches to close it because it was so deep. It's gotten to the point where I'm scared to be in the same room as him... My dad has made the decision to put him to sleep because he simply worries that what will happen to him will happen to me or my brother or that he may scratch my eye and cause irreparable damage. He's an amazing cat and he's so loving but we've talked to countless vets and animal behaviorists who have all said that the best option is to put him down before he can cause irreversable damage. I'm histerical and I dont know what to do. I love him more than words can describe but I cant bear to be in the same room as him anymore. He's taking his final sleep in 3 days but it's all I can think about and I cant stop crying. He's my baby and the last thing I want is for something bad to happen to him. I dont know how to handle this... Please help me. 
Quote 0 0
camunki
I am so sorry what you are going thru with your Loki, and its sad that he started off a bit shy, yet came out of his shell in time. With Loki being rescued from the shelter I wonder what his past life was like, maybe he was abused and does this to be protective of himself.

Either way, it is a very sad thing, and I am sorry you have to go thru with this. Please talk again with the vets and animal bevahorists and see if they can shed more light for you, so you can understand more why this is happening.

My heart goes out to you.

Cam

Quote 0 0
Sampson
My deepest sympathy for this distressing situation. I think Camunki is right and if you can ask your dad to talk to another vet to find out if there are any medications that could help to calm him. Do you know if any blood work has been run on him to find out if something could be wrong? An animal in pain could act this way. In any case try and spend time with Loki now. You will feel happy later on that you did. Something is obviously wrong for him to be acting this way. If there is nothing else that can be done you will know you've been there for him. Give Loki his favourite treats and be as kind as you possibly can to him now. It will be comforting for you later. I wish you the best my dear. Please post an update.
Sam
Quote 0 0
LokiRIP
Thank you Cam and Thank you Sampson your messages really helped me over the last couple of days. Loki has peacefully passed over the bridge today and honestly it was one of the hardest days of my life. We've tried everything we could and all that we got from the vets in terms of solutions were experimental drugs. These we're drugs that had about a 5% chance of working and even if they did work, the cat would remain in a zombie-like state for the remainder of his life. We decided that it would be better for both us and Loki that we give him a peaceful sendoff before anything serious happened. All of his things are away in cupboards and I've made sure that all traces of him in the house aren't around at the moment. I might bring them out again later but I can't look at anything that makes me think of him without an overwhelming feeling of guilt and shame. All I can think is that I made the wrong decision and that there was something that I could of done. He's gone and I just think of memories that I had with him and just get emotionally distraught. I feel like it's my fault but I know that it will dissipate eventually. 

Thanks 

Quote 0 0