Veronica_skinner
I have lost dogs as a child but it never felt like this. My first dog that was actually mine is one of my current dogs, a 9 year old pit. Me and my husband always thought she would be the first to go as she is the oldest. We also have one other pit, min pin, dalmatian, and had a great dane. My dogs are family, and we always work our lives around them. We will only go on vacation with our dogs and take them everywhere. Our Great Dane was only 6 years old, this may be old for a large dog but she was completely healthy, lean and in great shape with no medical issues. One day we took all the dogs to the beach and it was a great day, until our Dane triped over a measly stick protruding from the sand. Luckily the fire department was so kind to come and help carry her up the rocky embankment into our truck. I was hopfull that she only had a dislocated hip. X-rays revealed a shattered femur. Surgery would have been up wards of 8 to 10,000k. With only a 20% of success rate and 6 month recovery time. We also had the option of amputation. I did not think any of those options would be good for her. She would have had to wait 2 whole days for surgery, as this happend on the weekend. I really did not think that was right and did not like the fact she would have had to use the bathroom while laying down. Having a 3 legged Dane did not seem fair either especially considering she was allready 6 and would never have been able to be as active as she was before. I made the choice to let her go but I am having so much regret and I can't seem to stop thinking about her. It has been almost 3 weeks. I still cry every night and find myself drinking much more to try and get rid of this pain. I know they all say time heals everything but how much time? And did I make the right choice? I just wish we could have prepared for this day, but it was such a sudden and tragic accident. I have not been able to take the dogs back out hiking or to the beach, maybe in fear of something happening to them? I don't think I could loose 2 dogs in one year. Any advice in how to make this go easier? She is the first dog I have had to go through this before. We even had a memorial service for her with family and friends. Will this ever get easier? Thank you for reading, I know it was a long stroy.
Quote 0 0
wendywoo
I wish I had the answers to the questions, 'how to make this go easier ?' 'Will this ever get easier ?' as I am still searching for a magic wand to wave to make my pain go. It's two weeks today for me and I still feel the rawness of the pain and I can't yet get comfort from happy memories. I just feel wrapped in grief and loss. So I am sorry I can't say anything that helps, but just want to say I am sorry ... however the loss occurs it is hellishly painful.  We make the decisions we do out of love and nothing else, we do what we do is right at the time FOR THEM and considering all options but most of all the quality of their life. I think second-guessing afterwards is a normal reaction, I know I have, but it's from the position of missing them so much and wishing you could turn the clock back and still have them with you. I am sorry, and I am exactly where you are in the questions, the pain, the grief. x
Zippy 13/01/2008, Button 06/01/2016, Jake 11/05/2016
Quote 0 0
GunnersMama
I also had lost dogs before but when I lost my Gunner it was like my whole world had ended and my heart shattered into a million pieces. I always thought that I had so much more time with him too. He was only 7 and was playing outside with his glow in the dark ball when he ran into a tree and was gone instantly. I went into a complete depression. I couldn't really eat for about 3 months, sat and stared and was in a fog, either couldn't sleep or wanted to sleep all of the time only to be woken up with anxiety. It was the most horrible feeling that I have ever felt. Just go with your emotions. It will be a roller coaster of them but I have read that when you cry, the tears release toxins from your grief. I also read a book called Animals and the Afterlife by Kim Sheridan. Also Brent Atwater has books, videos on YouTube and a Facebook page. They both have helped me a great deal and given me a new outlook. Be kind to yourself. Sending hugs and prayers your way.
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
Veronica I am so sorry for both of your losses.  It is indeed very early in your grief.  I know you don't believe it now, but time does eventually heal.  From what I know about Danes they don't have a long life span because of their age.  You only had 2 crappy options! I know how much vets charge.  I am still paying off medical bills for my Winston.  I am on Disability and I couldn't afford a lot of testing for Winston.  I still have a lot of guilt for this.  Your Danes quality of life would have been seriously affected if you chose amputation. 

And the price for surgery was outrageous!! Just weigh your options.  Try and think how he would have felt with only 3 legs.  I don't know if you had the money for surgery, but that was a huge amount of money, and the recovery would have been difficult for both you and the dog.  I hope when you weigh these options, you will be at peace with your decision.  Good Luck and Blessings   Sue
Susan
Quote 0 0
BeachieGirl33
So sorry for your loss.  Such a sad story.  My 96 year old Mother fell 3 years ago and broke her femur.  At first they thought they could do surgery but she had to be so doped up because of the pain and at her age, surgery was ruled out.  Long story short, 6 days later she passed away.  So I know first hand how a fall can be fatal.  Letting my Little kitty go to the Rainbow Bridge was the hardest thing I've ever done besides that situation with my Mother.  Today is 13 weeks since he has been gone.  I'm still hurting and grieving.  He was my everything and it has been so hard to cope with him being gone.  He was 18 years old and had cancer. 

My thoughts and prayers go out to you.  I hope you can find a bit of peace somewhere along your road of grieving. 

Betty
Quote 0 0
silvermini3
Veronica - You took a step back and looked at her future quality of life. It wasn't what you wanted for her, you wanted more for her, because you loved her. You were her voice and you showed much compassion with your decision, as hard as it was. You are to be respected for that. Guilt seems to be the biggest and ugliest enemy for many on this forum, including myself. We have done more for our animals than they even probably expected, but we are still so hard on ourselves. Who has rehearsed all these moments? None of us. Even if we've done it before, it still remains so hard to do with each time we have to do it. Sorry for your loss. 
Quote 0 0
Veronica_skinner
Thank you, I am hoping it gets easier soon. Having the other dogs around dose help as they still need to be walked and given attention to. I am so afraid to take them hiking again as I dont know what I would do if another tragic accident happend again. I am hoping to get over this soon, the dogs love being out so much. I know that the options for keeping her alive were not good and she would have been miserable, I think at times I wish we would have tried but know it would have just made everything much harder. I stayed with her during the euthanasia and her taking her last 3 breaths is what I think about every night no matter how much I try not to.
Quote 0 0
Veronica_skinner
Chasca about 2 years old
Quote 0 0
Veronica_skinner
She loved the beach so much. Always finding sticks and playing keep away.
Quote 0 0