bsmokey
My best friend, the love of my life my Basset Hound Ernie had to be put down yesterday, October 13, 2014.  Sunday, he could not move his back legs and a trip to the Emergency Vet revealed he had a ruptured disk.  $5,000 to $10,000 in surgery and no guarantees.  They gave us pain medications but they did not even help him and yesterday, my baby only 7 years old was put to sleep.  

I feel real guilty for not having the surgery but I don't have that kind of money.  He was so beautiful and slept  with me every day.  I feel so lost and hurt so bad.  

Please tell me this will pass this horrible feeling.

This is the last picture.  He was hurting so bad.

Lost in Virginia,

George

Ernie.jpg 
Quote 0 0
drewster1118
Bless him.  I know I lost my Cho Cho.. An Akita after 14.7 years.   I miss her so much.   RIP Ernie.  Maybe you met Cho Cho by now.  Praying for you and your family.
Quote 0 0
likeray
I lost my coby bear today after 16 years, I'm so sorry to hear about Ernie. This is a sad time, and it's ok. I relate to the pain, hang in there, talk about it, grieve. Ernie filled a big space for you like Coby did for me. No matter how much time with them you have, you'll always love them and miss them. But, they wouldn't want to struggle, they just wanted to be their old selves. There's no way it will be easy. But, Ernie would want you to remember the best of times. Try your best to think of all the good time you had with and for Ernie.
Quote 0 0
Kiril
I'm so sorry for your loss. Ernie looks like such a sweet, precious friend. It brings me joy to know that someone loved him and cared for him so much. The loss of family member is something that dramatically changes our lives. I wish there were words I could say that could take away your pain, but there are none. I lost my best friend 5 days ago, early morning to a speeding car. It is so quickly their life and happiness can be snatched away from us. I believe that you will be able to get through the worst of this- day by day, hour by hour. Ernie cared for you a great deal and he would only want the best for you, please take care of yourself during these hard times.
Quote 0 0
patent123
This is exactly what happened to my Basset Hound Fairchild.  My FC was only 7 or 8 (shelter dog age unsure) I also found her one day walking drunk and within hours she had no control of her back legs or control over going to the bathroom.  Like you I was recommended to do a very expensive surgery with no guarantee it would work. I didn't have the money either  if I did I would have spent every penny I had on her.  I tried anti inflammatory meds and laser therapy but it didn't work.  She spent 4 days in her cage unable to walk and messing herself it was horrible to watch.  Just like your Ernie my FC was SUCH A HUGE part of my life.  In bed with me every night, on the couch with me watching tv, stealing supper from my daughter at every opportunity.  I understand your pain 100%.  Its so hard to watch our faithful friends lose all independence all they want to do is be by our side.  When their legs are suddenly taken from them its HORRIBLE to watch.  

On Sept. 11 of this year I to made the heartbreaking decision to let my girl go.  Back injuries and ruptured disc are very common in long, low, and heavy dogs I am finding out.  I always wonder what could I have done to fix my girl? I'm sure you wonder the same thing... I've done research on this and for my girl with out surgery she had a 15-20% chance of walking again.  With surgery it was like 50% but if she ever suffered another back injury the chances of her coming out of that were slim to none.  Your Ernie though is beautiful.  Basset Hounds hold a special place in my heart.  They are such family dogs so happy and mellow yet when they get that burst of energy they are such clowns.  Just know its ok to be sad or angry.  I am still angry over losing my girl.  Its so unfair that they get this injuries so easily.  It happens over time having strain on their backs.  Its really out of our hands.  Ernie reminds me so much of my faithful girl.  Just know Ernie will always be close to you.  I feel my FC by me all the time.   I had my days were I would cry non stop.  Days I could hardly pull myself out of bed I was so heartbroken.  I'm still in complete shock over what happened.  I don't know that I will ever truly be over the pain but it has gotten easier to manage. Give yourself time to grieve over the loss of such a hansom and faithful friend.  Do something to honor Ernie's memory.  If I'm feeling extra crappy I just talk to my girl.  I have a lot of guilt over not being able to fix her.  I hope with time you feel better.  Just know you did everything you could for Ernie....putting our friends to sleep is the HARDEST decision we will ever have to make but its the best one.  A life with out independence wouldn't be fair.  Even though we did the best thing for our friends its still so sad for us.  Heres my final picture of my girl. Its a beautiful thing earning friendship from an animal.  They teach us so much and give us so much love.  Ernie and Fairchild can be eachothers friend and snuggle partner until we are ready to meet them.  I know its hard but look back on happier times that make you smile and laugh.  I still had a hard time doing this but when I can it makes me a lot happier.   556.jpg 
Quote 0 0
animal_qwackers
George,

I am so sorry to hear about Ernie. He looks and sounds like such a wonderful companion. Please try not to feel guilty – that is a lot of money to pay with no guarantees and you did the right thing by him. The final act of love to your beloved friend. He is at peace now with no more pain and suffering. For those of us who love our pets, that is all we want for them.

You need time to grieve. I am grieving the loss of my beautiful cat, Gonzo, who I had to say goodbye to on 17th July this year and also my loyal friend and soul mate, Solomon, a beloved GSD who went to Rainbow Bridge on 22nd September this year. I have lost three pets in less than two years and boy, does it hurt. We never stop grieving for them, we merely adapt to a life without them.

Solomon had congestive heart failure (diagnosed on 30th May 2014) and the last few weeks of his life he was on heavy medication but was still a happy fella. When his abdomen filled with fluid and his back legs were barely holding out, I knew he was suffering and his eyes told me it was time to go. The house is silent without my big bear but I know it was the best thing for him as I couldn't stand to see him in misery. Gonzo was diagnosed with cancer on 14th July, three days later he was gone. The deterioration was rapid and the shock hit me like a tsunami. I miss them both, ache for them and wish for one more day to be privileged by their presence. They were amazing animals and brought immeasurable joy to my life.

I also grieve my beloved British Blue cat, Daisy, who left me on 18th October 2012. She was such a character, in fact every pet I have ever owned had their own charm and personality.

Ernie will always be with you, George. He will never leave your heart or your memory. You were blessed to have him as a pet and he was blessed to have you as his owner.

Talk about him and work through your grief. I know it is difficult, but you are in good company on here as we have all had to bear the agony of losing a friend.

Take care x

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Jack Lemmon

Solly, Gonzo, Daisy-Mae, Ebony, Jerry, Tigger, Bonnie, Suzy, Cleo, Spike, Sooty, and Tibby – dazzling lights that will never fade. Adored, cherished, I was privileged to know you all. Until we meet again, my beautiful babies. Bowls of love and cuddles, your ever-loving, devoted Mummy xxxxxxxxxx

Quote 0 0
loft2111
Hi George,
Sorry for your loss.  Please don't feel guilty for not having the money for surgery.  We do the best we can for our friends and as long as we love them that's all that matters to them.  I spent a lot of money trying to save my LM and in the end nothing worked, we lost him 10/1.  It has been the saddest time of my life and very difficult for me as well.  You are amongst others who understand your pain and I've been told my others that it will get easier.
Take care.
LM's mom
Quote 0 0
bsmokey
Thank you all for the wonderful words. I miss Ernie so much.  Each of you have helped me tremendously and for that I am truly grateful.  This web site is a god send and I am again thankful someone had the foresight to set this up.  Again thank all of you.

Ernie's Dad 
Quote 0 0
MurphysMom_0831
Hi George,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your handsome boy Ernie. Always remember Ernie loves you unconditionally and his spirit will remain with you always. Being unable to afford the surgery is understandable, particularly considering no guarantees. You were right not to put Ernie through so much when the outcome is so questionable. My Golden Retriever, Murphy, was hospitalized for 13 days, had abdominal surgery, feeding tubes inserted in his belly, hyperbaric oxygen therapy treatments, you name it and it was done. Nothing worked, and I was forced to make the dreaded decision to send him to the Rainbow Bridge on June 18. He deteriorated something terrible the day before he was to come home. His bill at the hospital was over $14,000 plus over $1000 to our local vet before he was even admitted. I had no issue with the costs as I would have done anything to save him, but I still question myself; was it too much? Did I let them go way too far? Should I have insisted on taking him home a few days earlier when I visited to pass in the comfort and security of his own home? The questions never end it seems. You did what you thought was right and Ernie knows that. The shock eventually passes and we find ourselves trying to adjust to our new life, which isn't easy and takes a long time. Meanwhile, be sure to look for signs from Ernie that his spirit is still with you.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Blessings,
Murphy's Mom (Kathryn)
"Sometimes there is a dog who is so special, he is able to wrap himself so completely around your heart it is impossible to tell where you begin and he ends."  For My Beloved Murphy, 08/31/2004 - 06/18/2014

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MURPH121/Resident.htm

http://s327.photobucket.com/user/kathrynbrown1626/library/?sort=6&page=1
Quote 0 0
missingyou5
Hi George , is being 4 nights that I loss my dog,beutiful baby girl named Bell I don't know when we will feel better but you are not alone at this time many of us are going to bed missing our best friend, I am taking one day at a time, I feel so lonely she was like a child to me and she used to sleep with me , so far I smell her blanket everytime I want to feel her closed to me ,today it was a hard day for me, there is not to much to tell you but by sharing how I feel you can tell you are not alone with this pain, we will get better but only time will help us don't force it. we were lucky to have such as good friend in our life, I hope she will be waiting for me.

Take care
Karla
Hi baby is mommy, I miss you today and every day since you went to heaven, I miss your eyes that conection  that we had just by looking at each others eyes I cant wait to see you again
Quote 0 0