Forum

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
jeffreyburcham

Reply with quote  #1 
I had to say goodbye to my precious Lab girl Satin Marie June 1, 207 because of Mast Cell Tumors coming back. I was able to afford the chemo and radiation treatments then.

December 27, 2017 I had to say goodbye to my Shepherd kid who was with me for almost 7 years and 8 months, due to aggression with my Black Mouth Cur baby Jesse, who I rescued from Florida, having seen his face on facebook. Paid his vet bills and plane ride from Tampa to Chicago to St. Louis. Over the course of the years since 2011, my Apollo had started 8 fights with Jesse. I had no choice but to make the hardest (I thought) decision and murder my Apollo, which is what it feels like still.

Earlier this year, my Boxer-mix first boy Elvis, a rescue from the streets of East St. Louis, IL in 2009, had a massive Mast Cell Tumor removed from behind his head. He came through it just fine.

Today, I took him to his vet due to a mass on his lower right rear leg, knowing it was another Mast Cell Tumor.

We cannot afford the radiation treatment and his doctor does not think he can remove all of the tumor and amputation is not an option, neither is the Prednisone treatments. he is overweight and the steroids will cause his hunger to increase. He will be 10 in a few months.

I have decided that I cannot watch him suffer, like I did with my Satin Marie. I already know how aggressive these tumors are. I just noticed the lump Thursday and already it is bigger. It will only get worse.

I too am giving Elvis Benadryl and Pepcid. The Benadryl helps with the histamine the tumor will release, the Pepcid with the stomach acid and formation of ulcers. Unfortunately, my time is limited so I am going to spoil my first boy with cheeseburgers.

I tell you this because I know what you are going through. What now scares me is I too have a Black Mouth Cur. I am now scared to death the same will happen to him. 

The thought of losing another dog so soon is killing me. I am sending you all the positive thoughts I can and want you to know, you are not alone in this.

Jeffrey
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #2 
I am so soo very sorry for all you’ve been through! Give that boy all the cheeseburgers he wants! And order shakes for you, you’ll need your strength as well. This has been a Hurricane for you, devastating. Please try your best to live this to the fullest. Relish every day. Try not to let grief rob you of the time you have left. Include your Cur as much as possible on this journey.
When you can, take your Cur for a complete age appropriate physical with blood work. Do this to rule anything out so you don’t have to worry as much.
Many prayers for your family, you are not alone💞

Reply with quote  #3 
I can only add that I agree with everything that Tankie12 said.
I'm sorry for those difficult choices you've had to make. I think you have made the right decision with Elvis from everything that you've described.
I noticed you have a lot of dogs that you have rescued.
Bless you and hugs to you!
CK
camunki

Reply with quote  #4 
I am so sorry about what you are going thru with your Elvis, and yes the benedryl / pepcid combo is really good. I have lost pets with MCTumors also and gave them fish oil, curcumin and absolutely no carbs...cancer feeds off of sugar so make sure Elvis is getting grain free, low carb diet..............you never know how long you have. My Daizy exceeded expectations with her tumor, and so did my Munki...she lived alot longer than predicted. 

My heart goes out to you, just keep loving your Elvis every single day and i wish you as much time as possible with your boy. And, yes as Tankie said bring your Jesse in for a complete physical with all the bloodwork.

My heart goes out to you and many prayers for the best life for your Elvis.

Cam

jeffreyburcham

Reply with quote  #5 
Well, yesterday (Friday) Elvis had surgery to remove as much of the MCT as they could. Been moving around since last night, going outside to potty and eating. 

I have been giving him the Benadryl and Pepcid for some time now, on a regular schedule since he saw his vet last Saturday.

Changed his diet to boiled chicken breast, cottage cheese and ricotta cheese, not together, just switch them around. Also have my Jesse on same diet. Been mixing it with their regular food as I just bought a 52 pound bag. lol Will change the dry food shortly to something grain-free. Started adding fish oil today, will be getting Lysine soon to add.

There is a facebook page I joined that promotes a holistic treatment. Not doing chemo this go around but will be looking into radiation, provided we can afford it or get the financing the clinic now offers. Not giving up on him. 

Jesse was just at the vet not too long ago for a check up so he is good to go.

The facebook page has a diet called Cleo's Diet and it seems to work according to people who have put their four legged kids on it who have these nasty MCT's. Milk thistle is one thing they recommend, will get some as soon as I can.

Waiting for pathology report to come back before the vet sends the referral to University of Missouri cancer clinic near us. We live across the Mississippi River in Illinois, about 35-40 miles from the clinic. That's where I took my Lab girl Satin Marie. I have to figure out how I will get Elvis into my truck each day, since the radiation treatments are once a day for 15 days straight. He weighs over a 100 pounds and is not easy to lift up! I'll figure it out though.
jeffreyburcham

Reply with quote  #6 
Just a sad, final update on my Elvis. The tumor, which was removed last month, of course it's a bad one (aren't they all?) The wound is still not healing properly.

Now, in the past few days, it has become harder and harder for him to get up, stand, walk, and go outside, having to go down three steps and then back up them.

I cannot handle knowing he is in pain. As such, I can no longer be selfish. I have called one of our local veterinarian hospitals and will be taking Elvis there tonight at 7:00 p.m. CDT to end his pain and to send him home to my beloved Satin Marie and Apollo.

This is killing me to no end. But I have to do what is best for Elvis.

He is my boyo, my first boy and my BEST boy. And he always will be.
jeffreyburcham

Reply with quote  #7 
At 7:40 p.m. September 12, 2018 my Elvis left us and went home to be with his girl, my Satin Marie and my kid Apollo. Run free now my boyo, no more pain and you're with your girl and The Kid. Until we meet again my baby boyo, my bubbers.
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #8 
I’m so sorry Jeffrey, hugs,,,,,

Reply with quote  #9 
It's been one week now since you left us my sweet bubbers. Jesse knows you are gone. It's not the same anymore but then again, things changed for the worse the day Satin left us.

I know you are with her and Apollo and Gizmo and Molly and Sparkle and Patches and all the other fur babies there in the Meadow and to know you are no longer in pain makes me feel a little better.

I just miss your face and I miss you terribly. You will ALWAYS be my first boy, my boyo, my bubber boy.

Elvis2.jpg 

jeffreyburcham

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankie12
I’m so sorry Jeffrey, hugs,,,,,

Thank you. ELvis is the 3rd pup to leave since June 1, 2017 when my beloved girl had to go, the December 27, 2017 my baby Apollo left. I just don't know how much more I can handle to be honest.
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #11 
I know you’ve really been through a lot. My girl died Jan 3rd but I didn’t find Ginny’s place, here, till the end of March. I’ve read most of your threads and it’s all heartbreaking you’ve truly loved them with everything you have and given them as much. Things like these make no sense, the *whys* have no answers. I wish we could see the bigger picture. I look at a tree that survives so much and lives so long and wonder why that
Smother Jessie with love, I know you already are. She’s as lost as you are but has no idea why. I pray for some calm, some peace in knowing they run that meadow together. One day you will have quite the welcoming, hugs,,,,,

Reply with quote  #12 
Lynn, today makes it 2 weeks since we had to say goodbye. Knowing he is not in pain makes things easier than it was for my Satin, knowing she was suffering from the Mast Cell Tumors. Still, the house is not the same. Our last remaining pup Jesse knows Elvis is gone and not coming back.

Yesterday I brought Elvis's remains home form the vet. His box is much bigger than my Apollo's, of course Elvis was twice the size of Apollo-106 lbs to be exact!

Soon, I will create a memorial here and then order his stone to place at my Satin's grave and where the other kids are buried, except for Apollo. His remains are inside here next to Elvis.

3 dogs leaving in a matter of a little over a year is a bit too much to handle at times.  I'll never understand any of it, just like everyone else here. 
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #13 
I’m so sorry, the one thing you can always be sure of is your pups knew they were loved!
Poor Jesse, it really breaks my heart for the ones left behind. As hard as it is for us there are no words to even attempt an explanation to them. I feel like they are just left wondering. Tankie’s littermate had a real hard time. I bottle fed them from birth so aside from me Tankie was her everything.
I’m kind of working on a memorial, it’s really hard. Yet I write it everyday in my head,
Please keep in touch from time to time, wishing for moments of comfort for you and your wife, many hugs,,,,,

Reply with quote  #14 
Today, October 12, 2018, makes it one month since we said goodbye to you, my bubber boy. Jesse misses you as I can see it in his eyes. The house is not the same. I keep looking at your place in the house where you slept and really wish I had gotten you a new bed. 9 years and 3 months was not nearly enough time together but I know you are with Satin and Apollo and Molly and have met Sparkle, Patches and Gizmo. Run free and easy my boyo!
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #15 
Jeffrey they are such a part of our lives the physical absence is felt everywhere you look and deep in our soul. The dynamics of our lives change the second their physical bodies leave. Stilll we feel the deep burning love and bond that’s been created between our hearts over years of memories and knowing each other’s soul. That can’t be broken. We can’t see our soul but we know we have one and that’s what we are and that doesn’t die, ever. Elvis is running with the gang but he also stays close to his dad, never doubt his love for you keeps him close.
Poor Jessie, I remember that look in their eyes.
I read this as the newest member here sleeps, finally. I had to get Tankie’s liter mate a puppy. She needed a canine companion. There are some things a person can’t provide certain dogs.
Wishing you blessings of comfort,,,,,

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.