BeautifulDK
At some point at 3 am, I almost heard my dog saying: Don't just look at me - do something! 

For the first time in 5 days I didn't wake up sad, but angry as hell. Angry at the lack of options presented to me and my Rosco. I think what unchained this has a 6-long letter I made on the last week of my dog's life. I tried to recreate the chain of events with doctor journals, photos, emails, timeline of phone calls, etc. Until now, I have been feeling SO guilty that I had not done enough for my dog as I perhaps was in denial. But after doing this exercise, I can see that I was desperately trying to get help and answers and there were many things that could have been improved. And many of the things, I think are systematic. JUST TO MENTION TWO.

a. When my 14-year old dog was diagnosed with terminal illness, why was the ONLY option mentioned an aggressive medicine treatment? I would like, and will work for, that all pet owners are given more options and information.

Euthanasia should be mentioned by veterinarians from the outset, just as last option, but also mentioned. Palliative care, pain-killers, success rates, etc. I was given a list of pills to give 4 times a day, and a forecast of one year. No mentioning of side-effects, probable lack of success, etc.

Owners should be presented OPTIONS.

b. When I called the hospital at 3am in distress and desperation, why does the vet suggest euthanasia as the only option? The call took less than  a minute. I was pushed over the edge, as my dog had fluid in the lungs. The only sentence I heard from the vet was "good that you came". Nothing else. No examination. No questions asked. We left the euthanasia room alone, like thieves in the night, leaving our pet behind.

Veterinarians should ask questions and find out if this is a critical emergency, or is palliative care can be offered until the family gets hold of their own vet. Owners should be offered a meeting with the veterinarian making the call that this is a good option some days after the euthanasia has taken place to hear about the decision-making process.

Owners should be presented with OPTIONS.

Today I am going to see my vet, and when I am stronger, I am going to make my point wherever I need to - at the university hospital where my dog is treated, at pet-owner associations, etc. Rosco's death, his pain and our pain should not be wasted.

I bear still the responsibility, pain and guilt of what happened to Rosco. But hopefully I can help to improve the standards going forward - at least give the two vets involved a bit of conscience.
Quote 0 0
Mysweetsimba
Beautiful DK

I feel you. We put our faith in these people, we pay good money to these people. Vets don't tell you that you can do basic examinations at home with your pet, to know if something is going wrong. Vets don't tell you or discuss nutrition and food with you. They don't tell you who you can go to if you have an emergency. They don't tell you that the pet funeral company they recommend is because they contract out to them, and may not respect your loved one.
Their jobs are hard, and they have alot on their hands. But I think they have become so desensitised to the whole situation and we are the ones struggling to put ourselves together after this.
Quote 0 0
Bibbi
Oh i so agree to what you are saying BeautifulDK,
My vet told me to go research google when my dog was diagnosed with a hemiangiosarcoma, I was asking about options and meds.. and all i got was that i should do some research on the cancer....
I was told that his tumor (the size of a football) could burst any day, and that he might bleed to death - but i should go home and we should live like normal.... And all i should check for was the colour of his gums...
I was in shock, getting a diagnose like that, and had so many questions - and my head was racing - but i got no time with the vet forunderstanding the diagnose... its like the vet clinics here in Norway just are set up for the money, not for the animal welfare... i was rushed out of the vet's office cos he had another appointment, and he was running late... This is a vet i have been using for 14 years, and the vet i trusted the most.
I have also had misdiagnoses and mistreatments with horse vets here, i spent 4 years with 12 different vets before i found out it was a tendon injury on my horse... it is so sad..
Quote 0 0
BeautifulDK
Dear Bibbi and MysweetSimba, my letter made an impression on my vet, whom has scheduled a meeting with the director of the university hospital. He will call me to follow up. I knew that he would help me - so sorry he was on holidays when I most needed him... but I feel supported and validated with his actions ❤️🙏 many hugs to you and love to your furry babies in heaven 🐶
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Gabriela, I 100 % agree with your observations, opinion and position. I am glad that you have taken the steps necessary to convey same to the powers that be. Well done!

All best,
James
Quote 0 0
BeautifulDK
The meeting with the hospital director and the two employees who treated Rosco went very well. It was meaningful.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Hi Gabriella,

I'm glad your meeting went well and that you were able to gain some closure. That is some good news for a change here on the forum.

All best,
James
Quote 0 0
BeautifulDK
Memories_of_Marmalade wrote:

Hi Gabriella,

I'm glad your meeting went well and that you were able to gain some closure. That is some good news for a change here on the forum.

All best,
James

Thanks James. It is still very sad, but it helped to have some accountability on this.
Quote 0 0
anang
My heart and love goes out to all that have lost a beloved furry baby, kitty, cat, dog, doggie, lizard, chicken, bird, any creature in this universe. It seems that animals oftentimes understand us better than humans.

I think that every city should have a comprehensive animal hospital that is open 24 hours a day, that fully functions as an emergency room. It should be staffed with caring and competent staff that can meet with each pet parent and review the options as well as emergency staff that can tend to animals in emergency states.

Unfortunately, imho, the services available for our beloved pets all comes down to money.
K. Unger
Quote 0 0