white

Yesterday my  pit mix rescue of 6 years killed my 14 year old cat. I’m beside myself with grief. I found her on my bedroom floor. She was my first pet, I adopted her at 19. They have lived In The same house peacefully for 6 years. 

My little cat only weight 7 pounds. And usually she would boss the dogs around. I lost my best boy Russo last June, an 80 pound red nose. They were best friends. She would curl up next to him or rub up against his nose. 

We recently took in a foster. A 12 pound terrier mix with a sweet demeanor and zero aggression issues. My pit Ella has always had issues with food and toys. She was emaciated with bad mange and a bad infection. She was lovely, and I spent day and night training her and fattening her up and healing her. She is so obedient and always tying to please. And I’ve always kept an eye on her. Fed her separately, lots of excessive. She was so good. I feel so betrayed by her now. I can’t look at her. But I also can’t imagine rehoming her. We also have a boy cat  I’ve brought hime to my moms. Ella used to try to break up the fights when the cats would get into little tiffs. 

I don’t know what happened. I feel like it’s my fault. I should have separated them when I wasn’t home. But they all seemed fine. I don’t know what to do now. My heart is broken. I’ve moved my other cat to my moms. And I’m taking the foster back to be rehomed because I feel like a failure. 

My little cat  was the only one in the house that likes to sit on my lap and would cuddle when I was sad. This hurts so bad. And any kind advice would be so appreciated. euthanasia is not and will never be an option.   has anyone been through this?..

Quote 0 0
Mamabird
Its not your fault.You can't be with them 24/7.You're a good person.Something triggered the dog,probably nothing the cat did,when you foster you really don't know what the pet went through.I'm sorry you're hurt.Take it one hour at a time.
Quote 0 0
JulieF
I am so sorry you are going through this.  Don't blame yourself although I know you are experiencing guilt.  The very fact that you take in pets no one else wants is a testament to your kind heart.  Mamabird is right - something triggered the dog.  Could Ella be feeling more anxious because of the new foster?  It is hard with animals and you don't know what Ella went through before you.  Do the best you can with Ella and show her more love, not less, although it is hard.  

Bless you and I know you will do the best you can.
Quote 0 0
white
Thank you so much.. the muscles in my face hurt from crying. My dog knows what she did and she is giving me space but she's watching my every move. I know she needs reassurance but I don't know how to give It to her. I still love her, I just keep replaying over and over in my head what could have happened. It keeps me awake at night and feels like ill never feel happy again. I know time will help, but im at home on SIP orders. I can't work from home, so It feels like this is going to last forvever. just at my house where it happened alone. 
Quote 0 0