slyon89
Hey everyone,

I don't really know where to start. I've had pets before and all of them have lived long and fruitful lives. This Sunday I lost my dog Duke, he was only a year and a half old.

Duke.jpg 

This past Friday my girlfriend and I took him to the vet for what we thought was a UTI / bladder infection. The veterinarian took blood work and prescribed him amoxicillin because there were crystals in his urine. She wanted to have him come back this week and have his liver tested. She was afraid he might have a liver shunt. A liver shunt is a genetic disease and sometimes the signs don't show until one year of age.

Fast forward to Sunday, Duke's health was declining and I thought he might not be taking to the antibiotics very well. I made him comfortable by wrapping him in blankets and pillows, took a nap with him and loved on him. I had plans to call the vet's office on Monday for another visit.

I left for my parents house to watch the Super Bowl, rubbed Duke's face and kissed him on his head and I had no idea it would be the last time I'd see his loving face. 

I returned home around 9:30 PM to check on him, I couldn't find him any where in the house, I called his name repeatedly. It was then that I knew something was terribly wrong. I searched this house high and low and found Duke passed away behind my computer desk. 

As any one would do, I broke down into tears, called my girlfriend hysterically. I called my parents and everyone came to the house. I wrapped Duke in a sheet, we all said our good byes. 

The hardest part of this situation was having to take Duke outside and load him into my truck, knowing that I would never see him greet me at the door, crawl on my lap like he was 6 months old, see him and my other dog Maggie play outside, see his smiling face, and miss his aura that he displayed on a daily basis. 

The next morning my girlfriend and I took Duke to a pet crematorium and said our final good byes, he will be returned to us on Wednesday.

The last 48 hours have been miserable to say the least. Our house feels lonely without him. I thought it would help to share our story and to perhaps hear words of encouragement. Like I said before, I have had pets live long and fruitful lives, but this was a tragic loss and one that I keep playing over and over in my head. If anyone has lost a pet at such a young age, please let us know how you coped. 

Thanks for taking the time to read our story.
Quote 0 0
tilikum
ohhhh we are so sorry for your loss , wasn't he a beautiful dog , we lost our dog 16 years ago , when he was 16 , he had cancer and his last few months were terrible , we then said no more pets because the grief is horrific , but 5 years ago we got a chinchilla because her owners could no longer look after her , she is the baby of the family , until we popped in a pet shop for bird seed , 2016 , and came out with baby rabbit , it was love at first sight , she had the run of the house , no room was out of bounds , and she was well loved , but the 14th January she was lethargic so got in touch with the emergency vets , here in england there is none in my city , but 2 in the neighbouring city , so on monday morning the 15th January she was taken to the big vet hospital , she had to stay and be put on a drip all night , we rang on the hour every hour , but at 4.30 am the nurse said they were going to syringe feed her  , she was heavily sedated , and on 8 medications , she said don't ring back the vet will ring me when she does her rounds , between 8 and 10 am , she rang 8.30 am and said that she wasn't swallowing and the food was just dropping from her mouth and she was starting to suffer, she asked what i wanted to do , i said we are on our way she said i will try to get her to hold on , but she said she is in a bad way , so i made the decision to have her put to sleep ,  then the vet went in and she was gone within minutes , the vet said she was ready to go , we have since found out she had a brain tumour , and have got her ashes back , if this helps you in any way , i just want to let you know , what we have been doing , i bought myself a  cremation pendant , and have a wee bit of her ashes inside so she is always with me , and our dog who died years ago has a grave in the garden with beautiful blue gravel on top , so we are going to bury her ashes with his , and have got a plaque made with her picture and a message , , little things to help us cope might work for some , is we got a flash drive and have downloaded all her pictures and videos from the pc , so we can watch anytime , we have got photo albums and filled them with pictures , , its not easy , it has been 3 weeks today and we still struggle , but i try to get through by thinking this is not the end she has just gone ahead of me , and i will see her again , maybe not today or tomorrow , but she will be waiting when the time is  right , she was only 19 month old , but i would not change the time i had with her , and am grateful she chose me yo be her mama , both of you look after yourself , xxxx
Quote 0 0
slyon89
Thank you for your response Tilikum.

I'm praying that having Duke back in our home, in an urn, will help alleviate some of the pain we are going through.

I'm sorry to hear about your bunny, I think we can all agree that no matter what kind of pet you have, they take a piece of your heart with them, when they leave this Earth. There love is unconditional. 

Thank you for sharing the things you have done to cope with your bunny's loss.
Quote 0 0
Kyle
Duke was beautiful. I wish I had the words to help you but I can't find them and I'm having such a hard day with my grief for my pup. But I just wanted to tell you that he was beautiful and that he was lucky to have you around for his journey. Take care.
Quote 0 0
RileysMom
Duke was very beautiful. I am sorry for your loss. It’s horrible to lose them at any age, but especially so when they’re young.

I lost one of my dogs when she was 7 months old, one of the best dogs I’ve ever had. We had gotten some compost for our garden, and unknown to us there was some rat poison in it which she ate. We had no idea until she died very suddenly because of internal bleeding. We looked around the yard after to try to figure out how it happened, and almost didn’t see it because it blended in with the compost so much. The loss of her was very overwhelming at the time. One regret I did have was not cremating her and keeping her ashes in one way or another with us. I think it helps to have them near us in some way and to feel like we’re honoring their life.

My 10 year old girl died yesterday, which is why I’ve been on the forum. Definitely not as young as your Duke, but still her life was cut much shorter than it should have been. It hurts deeply and the house does feel empty without her, even though we have two other dogs. I look at her food bowl and feel so bad just seeing it sit there empty, but not wanting to move it or use it in any other way because it’s hers and that was her spot. It feels weird not to call her name and to not hear her around. Last night I missed the sound of her sleeping, my bedroom seemed so quiet. You just don’t realize these things you get used to until it’s not there anymore.

I think doing anything you can to feel like you’re honoring his life and what he meant to you helps. I’m sorry you’re having to go through this.

Val
—Loving Riley, Rosy & Axl always 🐾

Quote 0 0
camunki
I am so sorry for the loss of your Duke and he is a very handsome boy!  And losing your precious Duke at such a young age does hurt, we feel like they were discounted on life.

I lost my beloved dog Dakota way back in 2007 and she was a bit older, she was 4 1/2 y/o and not sure what happened with her health, but she went to the vets numerous times within an 8 week period and she had so many symptons (6 of them, really bad ones like anemia, pneumonia, thickening of her heart, lining on her stomach, leg issues and losing mass muscle on her head).....that came out of nowhere and she lost the battle with life.  I know losing any dog or pet does hurt, it seems the ones we lose a "bit too young" will always pull at our heartstrings, and I know i always questioned myself about what I did wrong, should i have brought her to the vet "sooner" even though i brought her numerous times for so many tests over and over for 8 weeks. It takes a long time to grieve, you will have so many ups and downs and meltdowns thru the first few months, and even after that, tears will come out of nowhere. Losing our pets is like losing family, because they are family.

I know celebrating my dogs life did bring me joy, when the time was right, by finding that special urn, with that special picture to put on it, and having pictures on my keychain, even buying a necklace to put ashes in of my babies, I even have a calendar for 2018 with all my past beloved pets who went to heaven, because i cherish them and love seeing pics of them. I talk with them daily, and that helps so much.....and when you get that dream, that visit, that is a great sign that your Duke is telling you he is ok!!

Please keep talking and sharing, it truly helps and takes away that alone feeling.

Cam

Quote 0 0
slyon89
Thank you everyone for your kind words and remarks about Duke.

It helps knowing I’m not alone and there are people out there coping with the loss of their pets, just like me. It hurts and I know it’s a long journey but we will be ok over time.
Quote 0 0
1967Pinecone
I'm so sorry about Duke. He looks like a real sweetie and a joy!

I lost a cat to cancer a few years back. He was only 5 and he had a really aggressive form. The prognosis was so bad, even if I had thousands of dollars available for treatment it wouldn't have done any good. If he had been older it would have been easier for me to accept. But 5?
"Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow" and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater." But I say unto you, they are inseparable. Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed." Khalil Gibran
Quote 0 0
xoostation
I am so sorry this poor baby's life was cut short. Their lives are already so short even if they live it to the fullest. I'm sorry you didn't get more time. I've noticed from all the posts here that no matter how old or young, it's hard to accept that they are gone forever. I lost my baby 12 days ago, and completely understand what you are going through. 
I hope it gets easier for all of us. 
Quote 0 0
tilikum
Even though it has been 3 weeks since my baby died , way to young at 19 months , my heart is still shattered , i have other pets , chinchilla fish ect , but the fact she died so young and sudden , is what we cannot get our heads around , when our dog died 16 years ago , he had cancer and we new it was coming, but there has not been a day i don't say hello to his picture , or too his grave when i'm in the garden , , everyone of our pets have been loved equally , and clearly everyone on this forum , thought the world of their pets , , the stories are heartbreaking ,  but just wanted to tell a wee story , , i have been going to our local park daily for a few years now to feed the ducks ect , there is always Canadian geese , swans and a whole host of wildlife , 2 years ago there was a greylag goose ,with a stump for its right foot , on its own the only greylag there , and away from the other geese , when we went up to it it always hobbled up to get hand fed from me , would let me pat it and never showed any aggression at all , we nicknamed it oscar , and it would literally come when i called its name , none of the other geese would let him in their pack , which was awful it once got stuck in the slippery mud when the weather was bad and it never flickered when i gently moved it back in the water , lovely thing , then out of the blue one morning , gone , now this goose was there all weather day and night every single day ,  2 days later still nothing , so asked about and everyone else who saw him , had not heard anything so just assumed he had flown somewhere , 3 days later in our local news , there was a story about him , he had been shot through the head with a arrow while sitting beside a swan who was sitting on her nest , the swan also shot through the head , the pair of them had apparently been roosting for the night on one of the little islands the birds use to nest ,when somebody from the path behind them had shot across the pond and killed the pair of them , i was literally devastated, there is absolutely no need for any body to do such a horrific act ,i later found out  the swans eggs didn't hatch because there was no body to incubate them , to this day nobody has been caught about it , and i suspect if they did , it would be a slap on the wrists , i have said many a time , all animals are living creatures , i mean we are animals as well , they should get what they would if it had been a human they shot through the head , i know this is a long and horrible post , but what i am trying to say , in a ridiculous long way is these poor animals had nobody to protect them  , and died horrible  and painful deaths , for no reason that some things passing of as human beings thought they were clever , probably only me shed a tear for them , it still breaks my heart the thought of them crying in the night alone , at least every pet on this forum had somebody to love and look after them , a home , blankets , toys , treats , nice food , cuddles and unconditional love forever,  even after they have departed , i try to think in the bad days , at least they were part of a family right up until the end , no matter how long or short their visit to us was , and spare a thought for the not so fortunate animals of the world , my heart bleeds for them all xxxxxxxxxx
Quote 0 0
ForMitookie_03
What a gorgeous boy with such soulful eyes.  I was told I would feel a little better once Mitookie was "back home with me."  It actually did help to have him with me.  I'm sorry for your pain.  There is nothing I can say that will lessen the pain, but just know you are not alone.  I'll be praying that you find peace and comfort in the days to come.  I"m still waiting for it to feel even a little better.  I think things are going to be okay, and then, boom, another wave of memories and tears and feelings of disbelief that he is gone.   
Marina ~ Mitookie's Mom
Quote 0 0
xoostation
WOW I just don't understand the cruelty in the world. It just breaks m my heart and makes me sick. Those poor babies :(

tilikum wrote:
Even though it has been 3 weeks since my baby died , way to young at 19 months , my heart is still shattered , i have other pets , chinchilla fish ect , but the fact she died so young and sudden , is what we cannot get our heads around , when our dog died 16 years ago , he had cancer and we new it was coming, but there has not been a day i don't say hello to his picture , or too his grave when i'm in the garden , , everyone of our pets have been loved equally , and clearly everyone on this forum , thought the world of their pets , , the stories are heartbreaking ,  but just wanted to tell a wee story , , i have been going to our local park daily for a few years now to feed the ducks ect , there is always Canadian geese , swans and a whole host of wildlife , 2 years ago there was a greylag goose ,with a stump for its right foot , on its own the only greylag there , and away from the other geese , when we went up to it it always hobbled up to get hand fed from me , would let me pat it and never showed any aggression at all , we nicknamed it oscar , and it would literally come when i called its name , none of the other geese would let him in their pack , which was awful it once got stuck in the slippery mud when the weather was bad and it never flickered when i gently moved it back in the water , lovely thing , then out of the blue one morning , gone , now this goose was there all weather day and night every single day ,  2 days later still nothing , so asked about and everyone else who saw him , had not heard anything so just assumed he had flown somewhere , 3 days later in our local news , there was a story about him , he had been shot through the head with a arrow while sitting beside a swan who was sitting on her nest , the swan also shot through the head , the pair of them had apparently been roosting for the night on one of the little islands the birds use to nest ,when somebody from the path behind them had shot across the pond and killed the pair of them , i was literally devastated, there is absolutely no need for any body to do such a horrific act ,i later found out  the swans eggs didn't hatch because there was no body to incubate them , to this day nobody has been caught about it , and i suspect if they did , it would be a slap on the wrists , i have said many a time , all animals are living creatures , i mean we are animals as well , they should get what they would if it had been a human they shot through the head , i know this is a long and horrible post , but what i am trying to say , in a ridiculous long way is these poor animals had nobody to protect them  , and died horrible  and painful deaths , for no reason that some things passing of as human beings thought they were clever , probably only me shed a tear for them , it still breaks my heart the thought of them crying in the night alone , at least every pet on this forum had somebody to love and look after them , a home , blankets , toys , treats , nice food , cuddles and unconditional love forever,  even after they have departed , i try to think in the bad days , at least they were part of a family right up until the end , no matter how long or short their visit to us was , and spare a thought for the not so fortunate animals of the world , my heart bleeds for them all xxxxxxxxxx
Quote 0 0