Poshpaws86
I lost my dog today. I chose to put her to sleep and have been crying on and off for hours.

She was a pomeranian age of 12. She had severe arhritis and kneecap issues because of former patella. She could barely take walks anymore and I carried her in and out but also put her on the grass and picked her up when she was done.

Recently she started having seizures which the vet believed could be organ failure or brain tumour because of her age. I felt like that was it and she shouldn’t suffer anymore.

She was still happy, she had a good appetite, she ate candy, drank water and loved to cuddle. But she hardly walked anymore and the seizures came 4 days in a row.

I am heartbroken because I lost my best friend and right now I can’t help but feel guilty. Should I have waited och fought more for her? She was still so happy and eating candy from my hand before she fell asleep.

This feels worse than I could ever imagine and I’m wondering if I did the wright thing...

Thankful if anyone felt the same and could share. Will this guilt pass?
Quote 0 0
FionaD_16
I'm really sorry to hear that.
I had a devastating day too- different scenario- my 10 month old got knocked down by a car this morning at half 7- he didn't make it.
The sadness, The tears, the devastation and heartbreak is almost unbearable.
My doggie went out the gate because I forgot to close it- so I understand the guilt.
There is no easy answer- you don't have anything to feel guilty for- as long as you loved your dog and treated her well you did what was right.
It doesn't make the loss any easier though.
I am lost- I am dreading the next few weeks especially- No more Woody. I miss him so much......
FionaDX
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
Bella,

I am very sorry for your loss of your sweet Pomeranian. It is normal to feel guilty and wonder if the time was right. It is better to make that decision a day too early than to wait too long. And it is best if the last day is a good one. Your Pomeranian fell asleep enjoying candy from your hand. You ended her suffering from seizures and painful arthritis. You did it out of love for her. Animals can reach a part of our hearts that others do not. And when they leave it is heartbreaking. It will get easier but you will never forget her.

My condolences,
Jan
Quote 0 0
Wileykitten
This is heart wrenching .. I feel your pain as I lost my Tanner today. We must allow ourselves to grieve no matter how long it takes...
Quote 0 0
Achilly
Bella I'm am so sorry for your baby. We made a similar decision for our almost 12 year old Dane/ boxer mix Chance almost 3 weeks ago. The second guessing is so hard as well as the emptiness. Just know you did what you felt best for your pup. You didn't want to see her suffer anymore and you put her needs before your own. I miss my boy more than words can describe 😢 please take care. Some times it helps to share pics and tell your story.
Quote 0 0
Faceinyou
Poshpaws86 wrote:
I lost my dog today. I chose to put her to sleep and have been crying on and off for hours.

She was a pomeranian age of 12. She had severe arhritis and kneecap issues because of former patella. She could barely take walks anymore and I carried her in and out but also put her on the grass and picked her up when she was done.

Recently she started having seizures which the vet believed could be organ failure or brain tumour because of her age. I felt like that was it and she shouldn’t suffer anymore.

She was still happy, she had a good appetite, she ate candy, drank water and loved to cuddle. But she hardly walked anymore and the seizures came 4 days in a row.

I am heartbroken because I lost my best friend and right now I can’t help but feel guilty. Should I have waited och fought more for her? She was still so happy and eating candy from my hand before she fell asleep.

This feels worse than I could ever imagine and I’m wondering if I did the wright thing...

Thankful if anyone felt the same and could share. Will this guilt pass?

Poshpaws86,
I have lost a few dogs in different ways now. One way I lost my dog was to have to make a decision similar to your decision. I had a very difficult time and had to make the decision in about a day or two max. My dog of 14 years was bleeding inside suddenly and literally could have ...I won’t say..the point is he was suffering and the choice had to be made. I felt guilty at first and really was so incredibly sad...I miss him to this day but the pain lessened.... and I knew I had done the best thing given the situation. You did what you did because you love your dog. I am very sorry you are hurting right now so much. The pain ..It will come and go and it will get better...after some time. Sending love.
Toby’s Dad
Quote 0 0
Faceinyou
FionaD_16 wrote:
I'm really sorry to hear that.
I had a devastating day too- different scenario- my 10 month old got knocked down by a car this morning at half 7- he didn't make it.
The sadness, The tears, the devastation and heartbreak is almost unbearable.
My doggie went out the gate because I forgot to close it- so I understand the guilt.
There is no easy answer- you don't have anything to feel guilty for- as long as you loved your dog and treated her well you did what was right.
It doesn't make the loss any easier though.
I am lost- I am dreading the next few weeks especially- No more Woody. I miss him so much......

This happened to me 2 weeks ago with my 4 year old dog. It’s so awful ...mine got outta the leash ..I feel I shoulda pulled it so much tighter and shoulda coulda woulda so many things....
...he was infamous for being a Houdini dog and getting outta leashes ...even a choker...I didn’t want to hurt him... and pulled him tight . my grip was good all the time ....I was say to myself how could this happen....every scenario of how it would have not happened if I would have ...only ....not ?

It did happen and my dog ran right in front of a car got hit and died.
He was my beautiful baby and I miss him terribly . I can’t believe it still but I have to go on.,,,I walk alone now without him. It’s so hard. I’ve been on the forum and reading a good book on pet loss. I’m doing better but not great. I wish you the best ....it’s not your fault ...please know it was an accident. Sending love because that’s what our dogs and us still do ...you don’t lose that.
Toby’s Dad
Quote 0 0
Poshpaws86
Thanks for all your support.

It felt worse waking up today and I cried all morning.
Everyone who has had a pet knows the daily routines and loneliness that follows after your pet leaves you...Just waking up and not having my dog there was so tough. Breakfast alone, no best friend to take on a walk and just looking around and wondering where your dog is before you understand what happened.

I don't even want to go out yet because walking around in my neighborhood will just remind me of my dog and the places we used to go.

I think this is the hardest thing you can go through as a human being. It is such big loss to lose your pet and best friend.

Sending love to all of you, there are many of us feeling the same way. I don't think the pain will ever go away. I just hope we can look back and be thankful for the moments we had and smile while remembering our pets.

Quote 0 0
LaGata
The pain, the grief, and the loneliness is the price you pay for love....the unconditional love of our babies will always be with us. In a memory, in a place, or maybe a dream. The tears are always just a moment away. Every now and then a smile, then back to reality.....hugs to all-we too now have a link to each other.
Quote 0 0
Poshpaws86
I had a dream about my dog last night. I was out walking to meet up with a friend and I came towards a bridge. My friend was waiting there and behind her I saw my sweet beloved dog running towards me.
She looked happy and healthy...I remember thinking: Wow is it really her? She could run like she hasn’t in a long time and her fur looked better. It looked like she had a haircut :) I honestly woke up feeling better for the first time in a couple days.

I almost get goosebumps thinking about the dream and the fact that she was on a bridge...just the whole meaning of being on the other side. It was beautiful to see her so happy and healthy. I’m so glad because it feels like I’m calmer today and she assured me she is in a good place...

I felt stronger today because of my dream so I started the day with looking at old videos and pictures of her. It was difficult and I had many tears but also many smiles. It also made me realize how bad shape she was in towards the end. Her looks, her walk and everything about her was different just a year back.

When you are ready for it I suggest you try and remember good times. Seeing happy pictures and videos of your dog makes you think of all the good times and the love you shared...it made me remember what a good life she had. Just remembering that your dog was happy and loved gives some relief in these difficult times ❤️✨ we did our best...
Quote 1 0
Gmr
What a wonderful dream! She truly was telling you look at me I feel great and I'm so happy. I hope that my baby will come to me that way too soon. It would just help so much just as you said. I too have pictures of my baby a year ago and when I look at the most recent ones I can see the major change. That's what helps me know I did the right thing.
Quote 0 0
Poshpaws86
Thanks for your reply Gmr. It really was a beautiful dream and it made me feel a little bit better.

And I do believe the pics/videos can be a way to cope for cope of us who feel guilty for putting our beloved pets to sleep. I’m glad you feel you did the right thing.

I hope you get to see your baby soon too.
Quote 1 0
SweetCoco
I'm so sorry for your loss, Poshpaws86. For different reasons, but I have a lot of guilt too. I don't know if the guilt passes or not. I don't know if the paint gets better or not. What I do know is that I was sooo lucky to have had the greatest, reciprocated, and unconditional love of my Sweet Coco.  
Quote 0 0
Dino_927
To all of us who feel guilt. First I wish you no further  pain. But as I said above this is one of the most beautiful things we can do for our fur babies. There are no doctors prohibiting, no lawyers no others saying this or that. It is our heart. The scratching you feel or the pain in your abdomen is your fur baby settling down for a while. Sooner or later it slowly diminshes and goes away. Then we have memories. Our hospital gave us paw prints and pieces of his fur. My wife made a small  picture of him when he was healthy. Its been 6 months and we are talking about new fur babies. But I still cry  when I see these.
Our life is empty. I believe thats why God made their lives short so we could have a maybe few during our lives.We have lots of love.
 Thats my opinion and you may not agree.
I wish you comfort and diminished pain. May his memory comfort you at this time.

Quote 0 0
Poshpaws86
Thank you for your kind words Dino.
I see now that losing our fur babies are one of the most difficult experinces in life. We are there from the beginning to the end. We are their world and they become such a huge part of us. When they die a part of us die too...

At this moment I can’t think of having a new one but in time maybe I’ll be ready.

For some people I think it’s a good idea to keep memories like paw prints or fur. I personally chose separate cremation and got the urn yesterday.

Now I have a picture of my dog next to it and it someway comforts me to be able to see her and have her remains close to me. They are still in our memories and hearts...they will be forever ❤️
Quote 0 0