jmellie
It's been almost a week since we lost our 9 year old miniature schnauzer, Cody, and I am still in shock. His kidney disease to kidney failure progressed so quickly and nothing we tried seemed to help him. We took him to Cornell last Saturday and early Sunday morning he was gone, passing away on his own. We never got to say goodbye. We left him there that morning, not having any idea that would be the last time we would see him. We are heartbroken and holding onto some guilt over not being there with him in his final moments. I so wish I had the opportunity to say more than a perfunctory goodbye with a pat on the head. 

Cody was the best dog. He loved to snuggle and was pure love. We have two other dogs, but there was something special about our Cody. He was our first dog. We raised him since he was an 8 week old puppy. He never wanted anything other than to be with us, jumping in our laps and snuggling with us whenever we sat down. He was such a lover. I miss him terribly and I still can't believe that I will never see him in this world again. I am heartbroken. 

Thank you for letting me share about my Cody. He taught me so much about unconditional love. He will forever be part of our hearts.
Quote 0 0
animal_qwackers
Hi, jmellie,

Thank you for sharing your story of your beloved Cody. My sincere condolences and heartfelt sorrow at the loss of your beautiful boy.

You are in the right place here, as all of us share one common denominator – the loss of one or more four-legged friends. I am in the position of losing two, my adorable tabby cat, Gonzo, in July, and my beautiful German Shepherd, Solly, in September. The pain bites still.

I can appreciate your feelings of guilt as you were not with Cody in his last moments. However, you were not to know that would be the case. I was not with my Gonzo when he passed, as I couldn't bear to watch him being put to sleep. I chose a different option for Solly, and I was there. You didn't have a choice in the matter. That choice was taken from your hands. I am a great believer that when a human or animal passes, they go to the ones they love. In that case, I believe Cody was with you. He loved you unconditionally and you in return loved him. That love will never be broken. It will remain for the rest of your life.

The passing of a treasured pet is a heartbreaking issue. They become so entwined in our lives, they matter so much to us and, when they leave us behind, the devastation is torture. He will always be a part of your heart and forever by your side. He meant the world to you, the words in your post tell me so.

When you feel up to it, it would be lovely to see a picture(s) of Cody and so nice to hear more stories about your amazing fella. He sounds a delight, I am sure he was and always will be.

Be good to yourself and grieve in the way that suits you, not everyone else. The pain for you is fresh and raw, and it will take time to adapt. I know I am still suffering from my losses and will always grieve for my beautiful boys, but am slowly learning to adjust to a life without them. It's tough!

My thoughts are with you, and Cody too. Bless you both.

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Jack Lemmon

Solly, Gonzo, Daisy-Mae, Ebony, Jerry, Tigger, Bonnie, Suzy, Cleo, Spike, Sooty, and Tibby – dazzling lights that will never fade. Adored, cherished, I was privileged to know you all. Until we meet again, my beautiful babies. Bowls of love and cuddles, your ever-loving, devoted Mummy xxxxxxxxxx

Quote 0 0