Steve
In August 1993 I moved into a small cottage by myself. By February of 1994 I decided I needed a furry friend so one day after work I went to a shelter "North Shore Animal League" located in Long Island New York and that is where Spookie picked me. There were many cats there but he stood out and when I approached to have a look he perked up and I immediately knew he wanted a friend. I went to fill out the paperwork and one of the questions asked "are you sure you want to make this long commitment" and I thought to myself "if I am 32 now in 15 years I will be almost 50. Well, Spookie lived to be 17 and today I am 49. He was kept indoors always and he was feisty but always a gentleman and greeted everyone who came to visit. He loved to play with everyone but if you got too carried away..well...you got a bite. If I went away for any length of time he went to stay  with my mom and dad. They loved him like he was family. He would nip the back of my moms legs when he wanted food which i didnt believe at first, but she was right, I caught him in the act. Well, time passed and we moved next door to a larger cottage with 2 floors and he loved the steps and there was a ledge from one floor to the other with a 4 ft jump onto my bed. I would lay down and he would literally fly through the air to sleep with me. As more time past Spookie and I moved into a smaller place and by this time he was about 6. We've been here 11 yrs and even though it was smaller he seemed to adapt. I would take him outside only under my supervision. A few months ago when he was 16 he started to become constipated and I tried pumpkin pie which I read sometimes helped and it did for a while. It started to become a problem so I had to find a vet. He spent one night at the vet and they sent him home cleaned out. I had to give hm fiber and a stool softener which seemed to help. In the last month or two his drinking increased and he seemed to have trouble eating so back to the vet we went and he was diagnosed with chronic renal failure. They didnt keep him but they did send me home with sub q's which he didnt mind at all. It kept him hydrated but his eating stopped almost completely, maybe he was eating a teaspoons worth of food a day. He became so skinny and lost interest in all that he liked to do. If I layed down he still came to sleep with me, he was still able to jump on the bed with the help of a pillow. He was so strong and still loved to snuggle. He would lay half on my chest and put his paws around my neck and we would fall asleep together. I would always wake with a stiff back or neck but it was worth knowing he felt secure and comfortable on me. Yesterday he woke me with a meow and he looked at me and I knew it was time. I put him in his carry box and he fought his way out as usual but I finally got him to the vet. A man waiting outside saw by my face that I was upset and said he was sorry. In the waiting room was a stranger who came over to see Spookie and gave me a hug. Within a few minutes we were in the examination room and the vet came and said it was time. I think we all know how cats go to sleep. So there you have it "Spookies Story" 1994 - 2011
Last night I slept with his catnip fish toy and it helped me to fall asleep. 
     I miss him so much :(
Quote 0 0
Tricia
Dear Steve,

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beloved Spookie. You were such a good daddy to Spookie and what a beautiful life you shared together. He's was a very special boy and  and so very handsome.You did all you could for your Spookie and he knows how very much he was  and still is loved and missed.You gave him a wonderful life and he gave back to you his unconditional love. Spookie's sweet and precious spirit will forever remain in your heart close to you and he will always be  a breath away from you.

Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Tricia, Burton&Ozzies' Mom
Tricia, Burton&Ozzie's Mom

"Good night sweet prince:And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!"
William Shakespere's Hamlet
Quote 0 0
chipperboy
Steve,

What a beautiful story of Spookie. It is so obvious how much you both love each other. I absolutely love the visual you gave us of his paws around your neck as you both sleep.

Its been a month since Chipper left for the bridge and I still sleep with his blanket. Its nice to have things that belonged to our babies to help us through the grieving process.

Thanks for posting about Spookie. We would love to hear more about him when you are able.

Take care.
Chipper's Mom

Momma's Chipper Boy (9/19/95 - 1/30/11) My heart, my love, my buddy! I miss you and love you so, so much! I can't wait to see you at the bridge! Love, Mommy

Lady "Ladybugs" (8/2/03 - 6/5/17) My sweet girl. Thanks for the walks, playtime, sock collection, boo boo kisses and love you gave all of us. We will miss you dearly! Until we meet again...we love you!
Quote 0 0
creampuff

Dear Steve, What wonderful, long years you had with your beloved Spookie!  I, too, had two wonderful purrbabies.  Inky was with me almost 16 years, then became ill so quickly.  Letting her go on to the rainbow bridge was the hardest decision I've ever made.  But I had to let her go, it was her time.   Then my boy, Bubba Lou, a big orange tabby, left me suddenly, so unexpectedly, and went over the bridge before I even had a chance to grieve my Inky.  I can tell you that it does get easier as time goes by.  I try to remember every sweet personality trait they both had.  I try to feel them hovering over me now, comforting me, somehow letting me know that they are happy, playing in a heavenly meadow and waiting for the day we will be reunited.  I know I'll see my two purrbabies again.  I know you'll see Spookie again.  Until it's our time to go, we have to remember all the years we had our little ones.  We have to cherish their memories with all of our hearts.  And we do, and that's what gets us through each day.  I know your heart will begin to heal as the days go by, but for now, please know that I care about your loss and your sadness.  We, here at the rainbow bridge site, are with you in your sorrow.  Please stay connected.  We care about you.  Jane

Quote 0 0
Steve
Thank you all so very much for your kind words. I sat here and cried reading each response. I know as time goes by it will get easier. As they say 'And this to shall come to pass'. Even though my heart is breaking I take comfort knowing Spookie is no longer suffering and wondering what is going on inside his body. My heart goes out to all those who care enough to come here and grieve for our beloved pets.

Steve
Quote 0 0
Polly
A beautiful story about the life you shared with your beloved Spookie. He sounded like a wonderful character and a perfect companion, and the love between you shone out from your writing.

I'm so sorry for your loss and, as you so rightly say, Spookie is now free from his sickness. He will remain forever in your heart and soul, where he will be safe forever. 

Polly
Quote 0 0