shawna
I am so incredibly sad. Nala was 20 years old. People have been kind, but I keep hearing well at least she lived that long. I mean ummm 20 years with my sweet kitty makes it even harder, not easier. She's been with me through my entire adult life. It's only been a day, but everything feels 'off'.  My kids are taking this really hard too. How can I be of encouragement to everyone else in the family when my Nala was my baby I'm probably hurting the most but gotta be there for everyone else... This sucks! :( My heart hurts!!
Quote 0 0
Indi_love19
Hi, I'm sorry for your loss of Nala. I lost my Indi girl one week ago today. She was almost 16, which is good for her breed. I hear the same, too, about a good long life. And I am very, very thankful for a good long life. Like you, I'm not sure how to "adult" without her. If I think of life before her, it was essentially my childhood.
It is excrutiatingly painful to lose a pet regardless of the circumstance. She had a chronic illness, I knew it was coming. She was old, I was supposed to "expect it." Still the grief is crushing for me and my world is upside down.
Allow you and your kids and family to be there for each other. Everyone is on their own grief path, and just being near one another is all that is necessary.
meghan kenney
Quote 1 0
swtsrndr
my condolences on the passing of nala. i think when people talk about pets having long lives they are trying to be comforting in their own way, but you're right, the longer we have with the the harder the separation. no matter how many years we have with our loves, i don't think it ever feels like we've had enough. i hope you can talk with your family about how you're feeling and get support from them too. knowing that other people here have dealt with the death of their loved pets helps me. it makes me feel connected because i know other people share in the depth of loss that i feel. best to you as you navigate life moving forward. - tim
Quote 0 0
Sil
Shawna,

I am very sorry for your loss of Nala.  You are grieving for a very special being, your "fur-baby" and this pain is overwhelming.  And, yes we are very grateful for having them in our lives, but the pain of their loss is just as immense as the love we have for them.  

And, just like meghan said, "Everyone is on their own grief path..." .

Meghan, I am truly sorry for your loss of Indi girl. And, you are right, "regardless of the circumstances, the grief is crushing..."

You are not alone.  Many hugs
Quote 0 0
Dan1984
Sorry for ur loss Shawna. Lost my 3.5yr old cat Balu, who was mauled by stray dogs. It was gruesome. I just cant begin to imagine the loss of a great companion that u hv suffered.
Quote 0 0
shawna
Indi_love19 wrote:
Hi, I'm sorry for your loss of Nala. I lost my Indi girl one week ago today. She was almost 16, which is good for her breed. I hear the same, too, about a good long life. And I am very, very thankful for a good long life. Like you, I'm not sure how to "adult" without her. If I think of life before her, it was essentially my childhood.
It is excrutiatingly painful to lose a pet regardless of the circumstance. She had a chronic illness, I knew it was coming. She was old, I was supposed to "expect it." Still the grief is crushing for me and my world is upside down.
Allow you and your kids and family to be there for each other. Everyone is on their own grief path, and just being near one another is all that is necessary.

Thank you very much and I'm so sorry for your loss as well. Nala had kidney disease and possibly cancer. She had a great life but the last year we saw a huge decline in her health. And then in the last days she deteriorated rapidly. I knew she only had days or even hours. Today will be super hard because I'm going to be cleaning up her things--cat bed, litter box, etc. :'( Thank you for your condolences. 
Quote 0 0
shawna
swtsrndr wrote:
my condolences on the passing of nala. i think when people talk about pets having long lives they are trying to be comforting in their own way, but you're right, the longer we have with the the harder the separation. no matter how many years we have with our loves, i don't think it ever feels like we've had enough. i hope you can talk with your family about how you're feeling and get support from them too. knowing that other people here have dealt with the death of their loved pets helps me. it makes me feel connected because i know other people share in the depth of loss that i feel. best to you as you navigate life moving forward. - tim

Thank you, Tim. I appreciate your advice and helpful words. I keep wishing I had one more day- I know that's selfish but this is so hard. :'(
Quote 0 0
shawna
Sil wrote:
Shawna,

I am very sorry for your loss of Nala.  You are grieving for a very special being, your "fur-baby" and this pain is overwhelming.  And, yes we are very grateful for having them in our lives, but the pain of their loss is just as immense as the love we have for them.  

And, just like meghan said, "Everyone is on their own grief path..." .

Meghan, I am truly sorry for your loss of Indi girl. And, you are right, "regardless of the circumstances, the grief is crushing..."

You are not alone.  Many hugs

Thank you for saying that. I've used a forum like this before and I am finding it very helpful in being able to write what I feel right now. I appreciate your kind words. 
Quote 0 0
shawna
Dan1984 wrote:
Sorry for ur loss Shawna. Lost my 3.5yr old cat Balu, who was mauled by stray dogs. It was gruesome. I just cant begin to imagine the loss of a great companion that u hv suffered.

Oh I am so sorry! That sounds so awful. :'( I guess this is all a reminder to love on our furbabies as much as we can cause as the saying goes 'you never know it's the last time until it is.'

Thank you for your condolences. 
Quote 0 0
Indi_love19
Shawna, Indi had kidney disease as well. I understand the difficulty cleaning things up. I spent a good part of yesterday taking my time, cleaning the whole house. It was sort of like I was in the zone, almost like a ritual.  I've gotten rid of some of her things, moved others around for now. Disposed of the fluid bags and needles. The end was rough here as well, but I'm so happy I was home and able to care for her. I think with time, my picture of her life will move beyond the narrow focus I have now of her decline and struggle in the end.
meghan kenney
Quote 0 0
Becky1990
Shawna,
I am so sorry for your loss of your 20 year old cat ( your baby.) I lost my 19 year old cat 16 days ago. You are right, it makes it harder because they have always been there for us!! When people say "well he lived a long time" I replace it with what my veterinarian said to me. Please give yourself a pat on the back for giving him such a wonderful loving life.
People greive differently so please don't discard yours. You have the right to greive your process. When people say well he lived a long life, I look at them straight in the eyes and say nothing. The "look" let's them know that, that conversation has ended!
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Big hugs. xx
Quote 0 0
Dai
I'm very sorry for the loss of your baby Nala. I know it's a terrible pain and I wish you comfort. It's been 3 weeks since I lost my baby Spin and I still cry everyday, some days are harder than the next. Grief settled there in my chest. 

There are a few podcasts that talk about how to talk to children after the loss of a family pet. Put pet loss in the search bar of any podcast app you may have or in youtube.

Hang in there Nala's mom.
Quote 0 0