Tiger07
my two cats chloe and tiger were brother and sister from the same litter.  they have lived together, ate together, slept together, cuddled and fought with each other and followed each other for nearly 11 years. chloe, having a more 'grown up' personality, i always thought acting more like a mother to tiger than his sister.  after a relatively short period of illness at home, i make the heartbreaking decision to have tiger euthanized two days ago.  this took place at the vets surgery, not at home but for the previous 3 weeks weeks he had been deteriorating and i am sure he was slowly dying as he lay around in the house and garden.  i thought it might have been a good idea for me to bring his body home to show him to chloe and then if possible return him to the vet to send for cremation.  i was advised against this though as it would be traumatic for me and my son to have to do this.

since sunday chloe will not enter the house except to the kitchen to eat, she looks into the hallway that leads off the kitchen but will not enter it. she eats quickly and then goes straight back outside to the garden again.  i have tried to coax her in, but i will not force the issue. instead, i sit in the garden with her, on the sun lounger where tiger last sat before i picked him up to take him on his final journey to the vets.  this is where i am now, with chloe beside me, meowing sometimes (she was never previously a vocal cat) and every time she hears the wooden fence panels rattle with the wind she looks suddenly to the walk way at the side of the house were tiger used jump down from the fence and come sauntering around, from his adventures in the street.   she is spending all her time in the garden.  i have no way of knowing if she avoids the house as she feels some kind of negative energy from his period of suffering in there, or whether she stays in the garden waiting for him to return from one of his little adventures.  

i have tried to google this subject on the internet, but no results match our situation.  so, is this something any of you have experienced? i am not forcing the issue with her. it breaks my heart though, while grieving myself, i know that she is as although i was incredibly close to tiger, there was no one closer to him than his sister.  i dread going back to work next week and leaving her.  she has never been alone before as the cats always had each other while i was out 
Quote 0 0
Cat_of_Mine55

1. Keep to your routine as much as you can

Cats are creatures of habit, and they tend to find any change disturbing. The loss of a beloved friend is a huge change. You can ease the stress of these turbulent times by doing things like keeping to their regular feeding schedules and being consistent with the times you’re at home and out of the house as much as you can.

2. Honor your cat’s way of showing her grief

If your cat is grieving, you almost certainly are, too. In the throes of your feelings, it might be hard to respond appropriately to a grieving cat’s behavior. If your cat becomes more affectionate and clingy and you get frustrated by her constant demands for attention, try to understand that it’s her way of grieving. Likewise, if she’s not her usual cuddly self, don’t take it as a lack of caring.

3. Talk to your sad cat

A grieving cat might find the sound of your voice soothing. Even if you don’t believe she understands the words your voice is saying, the words your heart is saying needs no interspecies translation. After Dahlia died, I took the time to hold Thomas on my lap at least once a day and tell him, “I know, sweetheart. I know you miss your Dahlia. I feel so sad, and I know you do, too. I love you so much, and we’ll get through this together.” You might find talking to your cat comforting, too; after all, she’ll listen without judgment.

4. Keep track of your cat’s intake and output

A grieving cat might show a greatly reduced appetite or even stop eating. If a cat doesn’t eat for a few days, she risks developing a potentially fatal condition called hepatic lipidosis. Even if she doesn’t get sick from that condition, she becomes more vulnerable to respiratory viruses and other illnesses if she isn’t getting appropriate nutrition. If your cat stops eating and drinking, consult your veterinarian to see what you can do to stimulate her appetite.

5. Don’t get another cat right away

Your cat — and you— need to take the time to work through your grief before you add another cat to your household. A new cat is stressful for the resident cat even under the best of circumstances, and getting a cat “on the rebound,” so to speak, is bound to create difficulties in your feline family.

I hope this helps and I am sending prayers for you and your fur baby's heart to heal and be at peace! RIP Tiger xo Your friend Tara!

Quote 0 0
Tiger07
thank you Tara. i have bought a feliway plug in today in the hopes that it might make the house a bit more welcoming for chloe.  my sister advised me to just pick her up and take her to my bedroom, which i wasnt sure about but did it anyway and she did stay there for some time and fell asleep on the window ledge until my son came in and he kind of disturbed her, he meant well, he just wants to fuss her as he misses Tiger so much. i will do the same tonight and hope that she will sleep in my room with me as for the last two nights she has stayed outside. thankfully the weather is lovely here at the moment 
Quote 0 0
ChronicallyAce
A couple of years ago, we had to put our cat Ru to sleep. She had feline leukemia virus and was extremely ill. She and Dante were a part of the same litter and had been together their whole lives, so when she passed it was a difficult adjustment for him. I noticed that he became increasingly vocal, especially at night. Previously it was the routine for him to sleep with Ru out in the living room, but with her gone he would cry until he was allowed to sleep with us.

He did okay though. I kept up his routine and eventually he got used to her absence. His personality changed a little, but mostly I think it was just him adjusting to being the sole kitty in the house.

Chloe might also find it stressful to be in the house right now with all of the emotions running high in the human occupants. Cats are very sensitive to our stress and negative emotions, so maybe it's a little overwhelming right now.
Dante
3/19/2013 - 5/4/2018
You are gone, my special boy, but I will love you forever. R.I.P.
Quote 0 0
Tiger07
i try to remain upbeat when i talk to chloe, but animals are not so dumb, they can read body language better than any human can i think. she will not even come into the house now that it has started raining heavily. i have left the door open and there is a soft blanket in the doorway for her to sit on and shelter, so she can maybe feel like she is still outside but at least will be out of the rain 
Quote 0 0