squares
Our elderly dog collapsed suddenly tonight with no warning.  Aside from hip pain, he'd had no major health issues, but tonight I knew something was seriously wrong.  We took him to the emergency veterinarian and were told that he had a mass on his spleen that was bleeding and another on his liver.  At his age, we decided to put him to sleep.  

It was all so sudden that I've hardly been able to process it, and right now I'm just thinking of what a sweet boy he was.  He had a heart of gold and loved everyone he met.  We got him from the pound when he was six.  He ran away from his first home during a fireworks event that scared him, and his owners never came for him, but I guess he was meant to be with us.  We had him for six more years after that, and he died tonight at twelve years old.

I just want Moose to know that I loved him and I hope he enjoyed his life with us.  Our other dog is sleeping alone tonight and wondering where his brother is and it will be hardest on him over the next few days.  I'm sad that this happened around Christmas because you won't be with us tomorrow night for Christmas Eve, but I hope you are sleeping peacefully now and have no more pain.  I hope you can feel how much we will miss you and how much we love you.  We will always remember you, Moose.  You were a good old boy.
Quote 0 0
squares
I am home from work today for the holidays, and the reality of what happened last night is starting to hit me harder.  Our other dog has been howling this morning from missing Moose, and everywhere there are reminders of him: his food bowl, his crate and bed, a little sign we had with his name on it.  I know that we did the right thing last night.  I'd never seen him look the way he did, frail and lifeless, before they put him to sleep.  He was barely alive from the internal bleeding.  It would have been cruel to prolong his suffering.  It was time.  But it still hurts so much to see that in my mind.  And I struggle with wondering what was going through his mind at the end.  Did he know we were there?  Was he scared?  Is he still with us in spirit or is he just gone now?  We have lost three pets in two years, all to cancer and old age, and we have two more elderly animals that I pray will live a few years more.  My pets are my family, and it hasn't been easy watching them all grow older and weaker.  I know in my heart that euthanasia was the right choice, but today I just wish I could make everything better for my dog and have him with us for another year or two.  There's an empty feeling in the house today.          
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
I am very sorry for your loss of your loving, boy Moose. I'm sure at the end he knew you were there and that was comforting to him.

Try to remember Moose as the sweet, loving, happy boy that he was instead of his final day. He would want that. And spend time with your two pets and give them extra attention. They may be confused and saddened by Moose's absence.

My condolences,
Jan
Quote 0 0