Missingmybaby101
I joined this forum a couple of years ago when my cat, Pepper, passed. Then, I rejoined when my beloved dog, Daisy, passed about a month and a half ago. But now, my sweet boy, Max, passed unexpectedly last night. I found him early this morning all stiff and cold on the floor. He had been battling kidney lymphoma for a few months and his heart just likely have out. He just had gotten treated yesterday with chemo. My boy was just here yesterday.....
My heart is still so broken from my dog dying, and now it just feels like my world is crumbling. How will my heart be whole again? He has been having trouble breathing the last few days due to fluid in the chest cavity. The vet said that I could drain it, but risk them puncturing his lungs. One part of me is wondering what if I would have gotten the fluid drained? Would be still be alive? Yet, another part of me is thankful for not doing that because he could have died on the table. I just knew he wasn’t going to be around much longer. He fought so hard. He was 13 years old. My boy was big and gushy and had the biggest heart imaginable.

To my boy:
You were my strength in hard times and you got me through hardships that were unimaginable. You were (and still are) my rock and my comfort. Though you are no longer physically here, our bond is not, and will never be broken. You will always be my sweet boy, my heart, my hero. RIP my love....
Quote 0 0
xxcesarxx
Bless your heart for having to go through this so many times, and bless your heart for having so much love for your pets. I lost my baby boy 4 months ago and i could never go through so much pain again. Everyone keeps asking me to get another dog and it bothers me, I can only love 1 and that is it, thats how I feel and nobody can change that. I believe that he is in heaven waiting for me and I believe in god, he is all powerful and can do anything. His sovereign hand is in control. Stay strong👨‍⚕️
Quote 0 0
Sil
Missingmybaby101,

I am truly sorry for your losses, and for Max.  He will be secured in your heart forever.  Like you, I have suffered the pain of losing a beloved pet.  Sol, my fur-baby-boy, said good bye eleven months ago. I know, words cannot define the profound pain, you are going through. The bond between a fur-baby is incomparable to the bond with a human.  They are always with us and give us  their all.  Our fur-babies ONLY leave us when is time for them to leave this earth.   But, take comfort in knowing that in this forum, we all understand and we are here to give support.   
Quote 0 0
Missingmybaby101
Thank you all for your kind words. I know you all know what I am going through. I am truly sorry for your losses. I know that this bond we share with our fur babies cannot be broken and will live on in our hearts forever. My deepest sympathies are with you all. ❤️
Quote 0 0
PipersMother
Hi Missingmybaby101,  I am so very sorry for the sudden loss of your sweet boy, Max.  I am also so very sorry to hear that you have lost three pets in such a short period of time.  I lost two kitties 10 months apart.  Piper died 10 months ago, and I was just starting to feel okay again, when Miranda died last week.  It's hard no matter when it happens, but when they pass away so close to each other it makes grieving even more complex. 

With regard to your question about draining fluid from the chest cavity: I had to make that decision with Miranda. She was a 22 year-old kitty who had kidney disease and a thyroid condition. We were trying to keep both of them in balance through medication and sub-q fluids, but her heart couldn't keep up and ultimately she developed significant fluid.  My vet told me the same thing your vet said: we could drain it but there were several risks and the fluid would recur anyway.  They advised against draining, given Miranda's age and overall condition, and I agreed.  I just knew that she wouldn't want to go through all of that. She was tired, I could see it in her eyes. She was ready to go, to be set free from all the discomfort and medicines, fluids, poking, and vet visits.  It broke my heart but I knew what was best for her.  

So, for what it's worth, you probably did the right thing by not draining the fluid. It's so hard, no matter what, but trust that you made the right decision.  Your sweet Max understands. Animals have a way of knowing and forgiving.  Blessings to you and blessings to your sweet boy Max for the life he lived on this earth and all that he gave to you. 

Quote 0 0
Missingmybaby101
Thank you PipersMother for your kind words. I am so terribly sorry to hear about your sweet Miranda. I am trying so hard to not beat myself up for not draining the fluid as I know he would have died soon anyway. I just didn't want to put him through anymore stress. It is just such rotten timing that I just lost my dear Daisy, and now I am having to start the grieving process all over again with my Max. Bless you and your Miranda's heart as well. I hope you are hanging in there. 
Quote 0 0
Missingmybaby101
It has only been a couple of days since I found that my Max had passed away. The pain is so excruciating. I was making such progress with my Daisy's passing that happened about 7 weeks ago. I didn't think he was going to die this soon, especially after Daisy's death. He was really helping me get through each day. Now, I have only one cat left (Belle) that I just got a few months ago. Though, she is not Daisy or my sweet Max that I have spent years with. 

To Max (Mr. M):
I miss you so much sweet boy. You really have been my rock through the years and I am so lost without you and your sister. My life is officially so awful without you or Daisy. I cannot stop shedding tears for you and cannot shake the image out of my mind of you laying so lifeless on the cold floor. I hope you know how much I loved (and still love) you and cherished you. You brought me such laughter and joy over the years. I cannot thank you enough for helping me through some of the toughest times in my life. I know you are right here with me as I can feel you. It just breaks my heart that we can no longer be together physically. I still keep looking for you and listening for you. My days are so long and awful without you. Please know that I will forever love you and keep you safe in my heart. I hope you are ok and are with your sisters, Daisy and Pepper. If anything, I know that you are out of pain. You will never have to go to the vet or get poked and prodded again. I hope you are enjoying your time at the bridge, eating your favorite meals, playing, and getting endless love. We are apart physically my boy, but never spiritually. Max, you were (and will always be) my sweet boy, my heart, and my hero.

Love you forever,
Mom
Quote 0 0
Sil
Missingmybaby101,

My heart breaks for you.  The first days, weeks are the hardest. They will be forever safe and secured in your heart.  Hugs
Quote 0 0
Snowfire
Can so relate to losing so many and sorry too. Draining fluid may have helped but maybe just delayed outcome. Had same discussion before so yeah such a hard call. I know I couldn't be a vet as would come home every night crying I think from dealing with death. Though I can say they do help ease a loved one out of a body that's giving up. Why grateful for them. Hang in there.
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Snowfire thank you for allowing me to say that most caring Vets do go home after an especially emotional day drained, as do the techs. We, Most of us, get in this field because of our love for animals and euthanasia is the hardest part of the job, even when we know there is no kinder resolve. There is an alarming rate of mental/emotional fatigue among them, suicide has increased as well.
I’m very sorry for the loss of your babies, as many as I’ve had this has been the most painful I’ve experienced. My Tankie grief is epic, she will be loved, missed and mourned forever, but I know her spirit lives and therefore so does she and our bond will remain till I’m blessed to be with her again and run my fingers through her beautiful silky coat and plant kisses all over her sweet face,,,,,take care and be kind to you, both
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
Snowfire
Thank you too Tankie. I took classes in medical assisting humans and learned from being around pets of many kinds. Some conditions similar but I know it's harder to be a vet because unless you specialize you get it all. My country vet friends would chuckle at that especially one I knew who treated a young Tiger. Picture in his office along with others. He had quite the collection of critters every time I saw him.
I never realized how hard it is for the vets and techs but can see it does affect everyone different. So really will keep in mind more and feel their pain. Thanks for that reminder.
I had a dog once that if she didn't like the vet I took her to another. Her last vet of several years really liked each other and he was the one who came out to us early am to put her down. She weighed 100 lbs and 14+ and was a horrible day for both Leroy and me. He said "goodbye old friend" while I held her. I've never really gotten over that one. Misty saved myself and my family during a gang trying to break in our house almost 35 years ago. She always looked after my mom close. The gang thought we were someone else I guess or easy target. Misty changed their mind.
Have a wonderful Sunday all of you. All of us.
Quote 0 0