Sarah27
I lost my little baby boy Chester on Friday. He was 15.5 years old when he gained his wings, and passed over the rainbow bridge. I know I’ll think of him everyday for the rest of my days. I am just glad he is no longer in pain. He wanted to keep going but it wasn’t fair any longer. He was deaf, had arthritis, cancer, could no longer walk without falling, and was losing too much weight. He did see a vet regularly to assess him, but when I read back how bad he was I feel terrible that I let him carry on so long. He was still eating (like a little piggy) and wagging his tail like a puppy. But I couldn’t stand the thought of what it would be like for him to carry on into the cold winter nights so ill. I hope with all my heart that we meet again one day, so I can tell him again just how much I love him, and thank him for all the happiness he brought to my life. Run free my boy xx
Quote 0 0
ZoeyBelle
Sarah what a lovely good boy Chester was. I am so so very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you kept him as healthy as possible through his ailments. And I know even if we got to have them with us for 50 years, it wouldn’t be enough but 15.5 isn’t too bad for a sweet dog. I too lost my dog Bella on Friday to kidney failure. It was terrible how sick she got so fast. I think they are our angels in life, giving us joy and unconditional love and we can help them pass to the Rainbow Bridge in death to ease their suffering and pain. I hope you find some comfort in your memories and that one day you can look back with more smiles than tears.
Quote 0 0
Sarah27
Thank you so much ZoeyBelle. I’m sorry for your loss too. They really do take a piece of your heart with them when they pass don’t they? Chester brought such love to my life. It feels weird that the world should carry on as if nothing has happened, when such a great soul has crossed over. A feather dropped out of the sky right next to me the day after, so I think you're right about them being our angels
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Sarah27:

My heart goes out to you over the loss of your beloved Chester. He was a beautiful specimen. I know you loved him dearly. Yes, everyone on this Forum is grappling with the loss of their special companions recently. I wish I could take everyone's pain away. Please grieve on your own terms. Crying, screaming, praying, etc. are are healthy to do. Glad you came to this Forum. There are lots of caring, compassionate people here to support you. Please post frequently. It can help. 

Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
LauriP92
Awww Sarah I am so sorry to hear about Chester. Its hard for us to recognize when they have to go because selfishly we want to keep them forever. You did right by Chester. He was telling you its time. All of us here on the forum are grieving and in agony over losing our pets. I helped my cat on Thurs to the bridge. He was here for 18.5 years and its sheer torture. Please know you did the best for Chester and I'm sure he was loved and spoiled rotten!
Lauri 
Quote 0 0
Sarah27
Thank you all so much. I’m betting all of our little fur babies were loved and spoilt rotten, or we wouldn’t be here with our grief. I’ve got such great memories of our time together. He was such a character. The world just seems a duller place without him.

Wishing you all the very best with your grief and loss of your beloved babies x

I posted this poem earlier. It’s heartbreaking, but somehow comforting at the same time

Lost Pet

I stood by your bed last night
I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying,
You found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly
as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you,
I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast,
I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times,
your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today,
Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels,
I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today,
You tend it with such care.
I want to reassure you,
that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house,
as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you,
I smiled and said "it's me."

You looked so very tired,
and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know,
that I was standing there.

It's possible for me,
to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty,
"I never went away."

You sat there very quietly,
then smiled, I think you knew
... in the stillness of that evening,
I was very close to you.

The day is over...
smile and watch you yawning
and say "goodnight, God bless,
I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you
to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you
and we'll stand, side by side.

I have so many things to show you,
there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out
...then come home to be with me.

Author unknown
Quote 0 0
LauriP92
That was so beautiful .Thank you for posting it. Made me cry but in a good way for a change
Lauri 
Quote 0 0
Mismaloya
I also cried when I saw that poem, but thank you for posting it . I lost my little girl Marilyn last Thursday and miss her so much, there is a real ache in my body. She was 15 years old and after the first shot, she started to give me kisses. She never stopped until she fell totally asleep. She was in half kiss mode too. It was just her and me ever since my Husband died .
Quote 0 0
Sarah27
Mismaloya I’m so sorry for all the losses you have faced. It sounds like your baby girl was thanking you for your decision, and saying I’ll see you again over the rainbow bridge
Quote 0 0
LauriP92
MIsamaloya-I'm so sorry to hear about Marilyn. You are so lucky she was giving you kisses as if you made the right decision. I would find some comfort in that. Please give yourself time to grieve and heal. We are all in a bit of a funk right now so we have to go easy on each other
All my best
Lauri 
Quote 0 0
nosunshine36
Hi Sarah
When I read the beautiful poem you posted on another thread I had to some and read your thread and I’m so happy I did. I loved your post about Chester and that picture! Oh, my! A little charmer he is!
I think you made the right decision not allowing him to go on longer with all of the challenges he was facing.
As a good pet parent we have to recognize when our babies are suffering and to let them go before their suffering becomes too great. That’s what you did! My deepest sympathies on your loss of sweet Chester!
Blessings,
Sharon
Quote 0 0
Sarah27
Thank you so much Sharon. You call Chester a charmer. You don’t know the half of it, ha ha. Everybody loved him. Me and Husband have been laughing because when we lost our other dog years ago, we swear we heard him straight away. We said he’d never want to be apart from us. But Chester loved a good adventure. His spirit won’t come back for at least 6 months, because he’ll be investigating, chasing Cats and sniffing every lamppost. It’s been a while since he’s had a good adventure! He deserves it Xx

P.S. Apologies everyone if it’s any of your Cat fur babies that he’s chasing. He’ll soon run a mile if they stop and stand up to him x
Quote 0 0