redgirlraven
My birthday is tomorrow. Tomorrow will be one month and 5 days from when I lost one of the greatest loves of my life (outside of my daughter). He was such a huge piece of my heart and soul I can’t stop crying. He was only 9 and a sneaky awful lung cancer took him swiftly with little warning. I lost him on the OR table while they were looking to see if it was a cyst or tumor in his chest. It was cancer. He was without me. The guilt still ravaged me and I feel miserable and sad.
AR
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Anne,

I am so, so sorry for the deep grief and overwhelming sorrow that you are experiencing with the tragic loss of your beloved Roary. He certainly was a handsome fella. Thank you so much for sharing that photo of him. I feel in some ways like I personally know everyones pets who are discussed here on this forum. I truly enjoy reading all the stories and viewing the photo images of everyone's loved ones. The felines and the canines. Although I am primarily a cat guy.

I am also sorry and saddened for the way in which you lost your sweet Roary. I didn't lose my Marmalade on the operating table, but he had a severe stroke (or some kind of nerve damage) during his 1st surgery and he was maimed. His left eye was left in a permanent squint, his left set of whiskers were lifeless and almost lay against his face and his balance was severely damaged. I would lean down to pet him and he would fall over with my touch. It was very sad to witness. My once proud, regal, noble, alpha-male Tom-Cat deteriorating. : ** (  Becoming a shadow of his former self. Tomorrow (Thursday - like so many others here, that was the day) will have been 10 weeks since putting my boy to sleep. And I was crying again just last night.

I'm sure you have thought that at least Roary did not have to go through any additional pain & suffering as a result of his cancer. Which can be so, so devastating to a cat. Not only the condition, but the treatment. We spent $4,000.00 on chemo for our cat Dusty years ago and it was a mistake. She only suffered more than she needed to.

I hope you continue to travel through time and heal. It is obvious how much you loved and adored your Roary. I am glad that your paths crossed when they did. My Marmalade was also one of "the great loves of my life."

Kind regards,
James

Quote 0 0
Farfel
I'm so sorry for your loss. We have much in common, we both live with the sorrow and guilt over the loss of our beloved pets. On June 11th I had to put my boy Miles to sleep and our haunts me to this day. Miles was my 18 month old Belgian malinois dog, he was I hired on a nature trail, caught ecoli and 2 other bacteria and after 2 weeks of trying to heal him we had to to let him go. I feel so guilty for taking him to the trail, for failing to cure him and for him only living 18 months. I held him as they put him to sleep and I still cry over the memory of that day. I'm so sorry you were not the to hold your your boy as he crossed the rainbow bridge. He was a beautiful kitty, tuxedo cats are my favorite.
It has been a month and almost two weeks since Miles crossed the rainbow bridge and it hurts as much today as it did that day. I'm hoping time will help heal our broken hearts, it is not the grief of loss I struggle with but the guilt! That is what haunts me. That I some how failed my boy.
I'm trying to move forward, think about the future, remember that Miles is not suffering and in pain and pray I am some day are able to forgive myself. I pray this for you as well. Always in our hearts....🐱🐶
Quote 0 0
vicz
I'm so sorry love. I just celebrated my birthday yesterday without my sweet boy. The pain runs deep for so long. Sending all my love & support.... <3
Quote 0 0
redgirlraven
So sorry to you too
AR
Quote 0 0
pannklaus
I am so sorry that your sweet Roary is not there to celebrate your birthday with you.  You obviously had a very deep love for him and fought hard to save  him.  After the fact when we know the outcome of treatment that either succeeded or failed, it is easy to know what we "should have" done.  But there is obviously no way to know that before making treatment decisions. If you had not tried treatment you would probably be writing that you felt guilty for not fighting hard enough.

There is no way to escape the miserable grief we all feel when we lose fur babies who mean so much to us.  Often guilt is a part of the grieving process.  The grieving process cannot be avoided.   But I hope that in time you will be able to get past the guilt that you feel and recognize that you made the best treatment decision that you could at the time and everything you did was based on your very strong love for your precious Roary.  Everyone here  understands the pain that you are going through.  We will continue to be here  for as long as you want to stay and grieve with us for our precious fur babies who we all miss  so very much.
Patsy
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Happy Birthday Anne! 

Sending you warm & kind wishes for a good day today and an even better evening & here's hoping you are continuing to be on the mend.

Cheers to you on this very special day.

Kind regards,
James
Quote 0 0
Ceceliadempsey3
Dear Anne,
I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful cat Roary.  I certainly understand how you would not feel like celebrating your birthday without your Roary with you.  My birthday was on the 23rd of July and all I could think of was Thatcher not being with me. (He's been gone since May 29)  Not that we did any big celebrating, but its getting through the first year for any occasion without them is just awful.
My wish for your birthday is for your pain and agony to ease.  
I don't really know what to say, I know your hurting, just know that you were a good mom to your beautiful Roary and will have many wonderful memories to hold in your heart.
Hugs to you on this special day.
Cecelia
Thatcher's mom

Quote 0 0