DanHenao
Hello, my name is Danny. I am 20 going on 21, and an aspiring writer and carpenter from Canada. This morning, i lost my cat, my long time friend, my baby brother Rupert. He was getting close to 16 years old when he died. Me and my older sister grew up with him, having first adopted him in 2001 when he was 8 months old. I was 6 years old and my sister was 8. When i first laid my eyes on him, i was immediately attached to him. We grew a special bond, one of a kind. As a Star Wars nerd, i always thought of him as the "Chewbacca to my Han Solo." Due his pudginess starting from his middle life, i lovingly called him "Rupert the Hutt." He was just one of a kind.

He was always there for me when i needed him. He was there with me and my sister through thick and thin. He was just so full of energy. I loved how he always slept bedside me and kept me warm. Even when he gained weight, he still had a lot of energy. He still had energy even when he was old. He still looked healthy last year, I thought he would last a few more years. I was wrong.

Today just felt so long. I woke up, and my cat got off my bed as usual, i opened the door to let him out. I went back to sleep. Then the next thing i know, my mom comes in crying and tells me that Rupert was dead. I couldn't believe what i heard. Next thing i see is him dead, lying on the floor, passed away. I wanted to believe he was alive somehow, and i put my ear to his body, and i did not hear any heartbeat. Then it sank in. Rupert was dead, and he's not coming back to me. She called my sister and my dad from college and work. My dad started crying when he came in and me and my sister were bawling like babies. I was literally shaking at the thought of Rupert dead. I couldn't stop shaking, even when i wanted to stop. I had to put a thick blanket to stop shaking.

I had a bad feeling in my gut a few days ago that this would be the last week of his , because he was getting much skinnier than before, losing weight more than he should have. I could feel his bones. He wasn't eating as much. We thought he was constipated or something. i wanted to be be wrong. i wish i was. We were going to take him to the vet to see what was wrong. Obviously it won't happen.

I miss my friend, my little brother already. The house now just feels empty without him. Today, i lost a big part of me. Rest in peace Rupert.

Danny

My friend, my brother, Rupert, pre 2001-January 25, 2016 
I love you and I miss you. 

Quote 0 0
Eric_H
Sorry to hear about the loss of Rupert. Sounds like you were were an excellent companion and brought him plenty of love. RIP Rupert.
Quote 0 0
DanHenao
Thank you Eric. You don't know how much your support means to me. 

I still turn around, expecting to see Rupert on my bed, or hear him run across the house. It still aches to not see him there. I just couldn't bear to see his body, and me and my mom covered it. The last thing i did before my dad put in a box and took him to the Animal hospital was kiss him on the forehead, and say, "Goodbye, little brother." When i took him to the animal hospital, i even dressed in a black suit. 

I feel like i'm gonna see that in my dreams. I cried my eyes out multiple times today. I just wasn't ready at all. I had that bad feeling, but i still was not ready to endure this.

I love you so much, Rupert, my big boy.

Danny

Quote 0 0
DanHenao
Here are a few pictures of my baby brother, circa 2009:

p_00021.jpg  p_00026.jpg  p_00018.jpg 

And one more from last June. Being a Star Wars fan and a big movie nerd in general, his pose here reminds me of Jabba the Hutt.

IMG_20150616_132248326.jpg 

I'll miss those beautiful green eyes.

Danny

Quote 0 0
LUCYLULU
Oh Danny. Thank you for sharing pictures of your awesome friend & brother Rupert. His green eyes are amazing-- looking right @ you taking the pictures. Very soulful. There are no words of comfort. It hurts really really bad...and will be the kind of loss & pain that we all will carry for the rest of our lives. It may lessen in time-- or on some days-- but the love we shared with our cats, dogs, animals is a such a strong, powerful bond that it will stay with us forever-- to ease our pain and to strengthen us--  as we try to go forward. Hugs,KC
Quote 0 0
DanHenao
Thank you for your kind words. 

I couldn't sleep at night at all. I looked at my door, and i kept expecting him to scratch at the door like he usually does, and i would let him in to go on my bed. i had to remind myself he was gone. I felt cold and helpless without him. I had no one to warm me up in these cold Canadian nights. 

When i talked to my high school friends last night before i joined the forum, they heard me break down and cry. In the six years I've known them, they never saw me cry, and not the way i was. 

I don't think i could ever watch a movie where a cat or a dog dies, not anymore. It will just remind me about my boy being gone from this earth. 
Danny

Quote 0 0
DanHenao
Here he is in his prime, around 2002-2003: YoungRupert.jpg 
He had a lot of tabby markings back then. They faded with age. He was still so beautiful.
Danny

Quote 0 0
Goonie35
A beautiful boy Rupert was. My heart hurts with yours as I just lost my kitty Lucy. My mom told me to take it day by day and if that's too hard then take it minute by minute. Breathe through your pain, cry when you need too. You lost a friend and you need to take the time for that hole in your heart to heal.
I am still just taking it minute by minute but I understand.
Quote 0 0
DanHenao
Thank you for your kind words, Goonie35.

I still feel like my heart is gonna explode out of my chest right now. Me and my family really do appreciate the things we are hearing here so far. I am still trying many ways to cheer myself up. I feel a little better than yesterday, but it still hurts very much. It really was like losing a brother. I love Rupert so much.  

Danny

Quote 0 0
DanHenao
Here's a picture of him in December 2014, posing with my Han Solo figure:

IMG_20141217_163535873.jpg 

and another picture from last January, a much healthier looking Rupert being pet. What a difference a year makes.
IMG_20150101_230430842.jpg 
So cute, so beautiful, so full of life. He was the best thing in my life.
Danny

Quote 0 0
SweetBetty
I am so very sorry for your loss.  Rupert was beautiful and what wonderful kind eyes he had.  I lost my heart cat, Betty, September 14th, and I still miss her terribly.  I've had a few cats and dogs over my lifetime (I'm 66 years old now) and I truly loved them all.  But Betty was different.  She was the most gentle animal I have ever known.  Rupert was so very loved, and so very lucky to have you and your family.  I wish there was an easy way of grieving, but we just have to let nature take its course.  You will never ever forget Rupert, but with time, you will think about him and smile.  He will always have a very special place in your heart.  
Quote 0 0
DanHenao
Thank you very much for you wise and kind words, SweetBetty. I am sorry to hear for your loss too.

You put it well. I loved Rupert with every fiber of my being. Rupert had a very kind heart, he always loved to be pet, loved belly rubs. I will never forget the sound of him purring. 

In an odd way, our pets achieved immortality, though our photos, and our minds. They may not be with us physically, but here with us in spirit, and live on in our photos, or any videos we have of them. 

When i donated my remaining food and litter to the animal shelter. The exact same shelter my family adopted him in 2001, and spent the rest of his life with us. My eyes leaked when i saw the other cats there. This cat named Russell started rubbing me and i petted him. There was a part of me that wanted to take him in, but i was not ready yet. I didn't want to feel he was replacing Rupert. I need a little more time to recover. Still, i hope he and those other cats enjoy what Rupert did not have a chance to. It was an emotional experience. I hope Rupert is smiling at me in heaven.
Danny

Quote 0 0
Trudijane
Danny,

Rupert was beautiful and I know what you're feeling and going through.  Rupert was so lucky to have a family like yours and having such a loving brother and sister.  He was a big part of your family.  And you were very lucky to share this world with such a beautiful soul for 16 years!

I, myself, have had 3 generations of cats.  I lost Coony (my Gentle Giant Maine Coon) in August at too early an age (age 9) when I thought I'd have him for at least another 9 years or so.  He was my favorite soulmate cat of all my cats so the pain was profound.

I just want to say to you that someday I hope you will be ready to love another cat.  My first cat lived for 17 years (Cazzie) and we went through so much together during that time.  When I lost him, I never thought I'd get over it, which is I bet what you're feeling now.  That was 35 years ago, and I'm here to tell you that I did, but I'll never forget him.  He can never be replaced.  It took me awhile to adopt 2 cats (2 years later) and they both died within a week of each other (from 2 different causes).  I went a little crazy.  And now the most beautiful cat of all is gone and I miss him each and every day, but I also notice that the pain is not as sharp as it was the first month, but every once in awhile, his last days bring me down to sobbing again and remembering how much we bonded and loved each other.  He has brother also who misses him as well.

Let another cat find you someday.  You sound like the kind of person that can give another cat a lot of love - but we all know that the others we've lost can NEVER be replaced.  It's hard, but think of all the kitties that need your love & care.

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.  I do understand.
TrudiJaneNeiverth
Quote 0 0
DanHenao
Thank you for you kind words, Trudijane.

I am still trying to recover from this loss. I hope that the cat that i will adopt in the future will help me heal from this. But i will never forget Rupert. I want to help any other cat or dog I can to honor him. I was thinking of volunteering at an animal shelter to help other animals. 

I am glad to know that I am not alone in this. Any kind words and support from anybody, even if it's from one person really means a lot to me. 
Danny

Quote 0 0