Tiffwright2
I just had to make the hard decision to put down my best friend of 16 years, Little (aka poot). My mother brought him from a farm where he had been poisoned (accidentally) but he lived and at 11 I got my little orange and white cat. When I was 13 he got ran over and it shattered his jaw and I BEGGED my mother to save him and thankfully it did. We found out about 6 months ago he had bladder cancer and since he was so old there was nothing we could do.  I know I should be happy he lived through all those trials to be the old age of 17/18 (farm cat, don’t know exactly when he was born) but I feel sooooo guilty about putting him down. I have stomach aches, nausea and heart flutters that even wake me up at night. I miss him sooo much. I know he wasn’t healthy and he was tired, but I miss him.  Here is a picture of him and I when we were both much younger. ❤️CADB393A-7438-4D81-83A1-B90B665B9883.jpeg
Quote 3 0
Sunnysmama
I'm so sorry for your loss.  
16 years is such a long time.  It's a whole portion of our lives that we share with our beloved babies. 
I'm glad that you rescued him and that your mom helped save his life. 
He was very much loved and he would have known it and felt that love. 
There is nothing that can be said that will lessen the pain, but it is good to not be alone in grieving. 
I lost my baby girl, Sunny (Golden Retreiver), 5 days ago and I can't bear it. 
All that we can do is...I don't know.  Feel the pain.  Keep waking up every day when we don't want to. 
Keep coming home when we don't want to. 
Talk with people who understand. 

Someday the pain will lessen. 

Quote 2 0
Memories_of_Marmalade
Dear Tiffwright2.

Oh he's adorable. What a delightful photo of you and your beloved "Little" (aka Poot.) Now we know some of his and your story. You can see in that photo just how completely over the moon you were at the time about having him in your life. And it is so evident in your words how much you loved, cherished and adored your boy.

Like your "Little" (aka Poot) my cat was an orange and white tabby that I named "Marmalade." I witnessed him use up at least 4 or 5 lives right in front of me. He was a true survivor, and we had many adventures which I have written about some of here on this forum, but he too was sick in the end and becoming a shadow of his former noble self. So I also had to let him go. It broke my heart into 1 million pieces and I am still struggling to put those pieces back together. But I am doing better than I was. Now I mostly think of our time together with joy and smiles and even laughter at times.

Marmalade was once the King of a colony of feral and stray cats in the high desert country of New Mexico, U.S. He was feared and respected by the much larger and healthier males (all Marmalade had to do was regally raise a paw up slowly, and not even strike any of them, and they would cower) and was loved by the females in the colony who trusted him with the kittens as he was never unkind to the females or the kittens, even those he was not the Father to. Towards the end of his life he had gotten into a major Tom Cat fight with a rival who had attacked his girlfriend cat "Star" (our neighbors cat from next door) and Marmalade was wounded in his left ear which never healed correctly which required surgery. This lead to his health deteriorating. I owed him a peaceful passing. 

I am so sorry your boy fell so ill and that you had to do what needed to be done. But I'm so grateful that your paths crossed when they did and that for so, so many years you two had each other. All cats and humans should be so fortunate. 

The depth of your grief is the depth of the love that Poot felt from you for most of the days of his life. How wonderful must that have been for him, to know how much he meant to you. You gave him a family, a friend, love, affection, safety and purpose.

Kind regards & my sincerest condolences,
James
Quote 2 0
Tiffwright2
Sunnysmama wrote:
I'm so sorry for your loss.  
16 years is such a long time.  It's a whole portion of our lives that we share with our beloved babies. 
I'm glad that you rescued him and that your mom helped save his life. 
He was very much loved and he would have known it and felt that love. 
There is nothing that can be said that will lessen the pain, but it is good to not be alone in grieving. 
I lost my baby girl, Sunny (Golden Retreiver), 5 days ago and I can't bear it. 
All that we can do is...I don't know.  Feel the pain.  Keep waking up every day when we don't want to. 
Keep coming home when we don't want to. 
Talk with people who understand. 

Someday the pain will lessen. 

i am so sorry to hear about your baby girl. 🙁 it’s only been three days for me but I still feel awful. I feel so guilty for having to send him to the rainbow bridge even though I know that it was the best choice for him. I just kept sobbing and holding him and telling him I loved him.  
Quote 1 0
Tiffwright2
Dear Tiffwright2.

Oh he's adorable. What a delightful photo of you and your beloved "Little" (aka Poot.) Now we know some of his and your story. You can see in that photo just how completely over the moon you were at the time about having him in your life. And it is so evident in your words how much you loved, cherished and adored your boy.

Like your "Little" (aka Poot) my cat was an orange and white tabby that I named "Marmalade." I witnessed him use up at least 4 or 5 lives right in front of me. He was a true survivor, and we had many adventures which I have written about some of here on this forum, but he too was sick in the end and becoming a shadow of his former noble self. So I also had to let him go. It broke my heart into 1 million pieces and I am still struggling to put those pieces back together. But I am doing better than I was. Now I mostly think of our time together with joy and smiles and even laughter at times.

Marmalade was once the King of a colony of feral and stray cats in the high desert country of New Mexico, U.S. He was feared and respected by the much larger and healthier males (all Marmalade had to do was regally raise a paw up slowly, and not even strike any of them, and they would cower) and was loved by the females in the colony who trusted him with the kittens as he was never unkind to the females or the kittens, even those he was not the Father to. Towards the end of his life he had gotten into a major Tom Cat fight with a rival who had attacked his girlfriend cat "Star" (our neighbors cat from next door) and Marmalade was wounded in his left ear which never healed correctly which required surgery. This lead to his health deteriorating. I owed him a peaceful passing. 

I am so sorry your boy fell so ill and that you had to do what needed to be done. But I'm so grateful that your paths crossed when they did and that for so, so many years you two had each other. All cats and humans should be so fortunate. 

The depth of your grief is the depth of the love that Poot felt from you for most of the days of his life. How wonderful must that have been for him, to know how much he meant to you. You gave him a family, a friend, love, affection, safety and purpose.

Kind regards & my sincerest condolences,
James

james, I loved hearing about your marmalade. Aren’t orange and white cats so handsome? Your story made me smile on days where smiling is often forced and not sincere. It seems like your time with him was amazing. Thank you for sharing. 
Quote 1 0
Memories_of_Marmalade
They sure are. So unique in many ways. We have many pet parents here who had orange cats. Many boys and only 2 girls (only 20% of orange cats are girls. They are quite scarce evidently.) Did you know what Sir Winston Churchill also adored orange cats? He left instructions in his Will that at all times a rescued orange cat must live on his property and one still does to this day: 

Quote 1 0
Tiffwright2
Thank you, James! I love that! That makes me smile. 🙂 
Quote 1 0