Chuck
Friday I had to say good bye to the closest and most loyal friend I ever had. Our chocolate lab RUGER. He just turned 12 in April. A few months ago he was diagnosed with a nerve problem that affected his back legs. He was getting physical therapy and thought he was improving but Friday I got home and he couldn't stand anymore. We didn't want him to be in pain but was awful because he was still giving me kisses up until we said good bye.
I've never felt this kind of pain or sorrow. I pray that what I've read about rainbow bridge is true and that we'll be together again.
Quote 0 0
Eddiesmom
I'm so sorry.  What a cutie, I love that tennis ball in his mouth, you can tell he was a character.  You did the hardest and unselfish thing for your buddy. It's so hard when their body gives out but their spirit doesn't, my dog was in the same situation.
Sue E
Quote 0 0
camunki
chuck,  your lab Ruger is a beauty, such a cutie pie....and when the quality of life diminishes, this is what has to be done, for the sake of your pup, and yes as Sue e said..you did a selfless thing for your baby. There are great people on this site, so keep reading topics and posting, it will help a bit, for now I am sorry for the loss of your baby & know you are not alone.

Cam

Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
What a beautiful pic. of Ruger.  When I was married, my husband always brought home Labs.  His favorite breed.  Our last one Sasha, also had the same problem as Ruger.  She was 12 too.  I am so sorry for your loss. It is very normal to feel the way you do.  All of us are grieving the loss of our babies.  It takes time, and everyone is differant.  You had 12 great years with Ruger.  I always say time is the only true healer.  It has only been a very, very short time for this shock.  It's ok to grieve, cry, scream etc.  I come on this forum to grieve my Winston.  My family doesn't get it.  Please come here often to express your grief.  Bless You  Sue
Susan
Quote 0 0
Kat_05
 Ruger must have been joy to have as a companion. I'm sorry for your grief. It is hard to bear. I'm here every night reading and searching for comforting words to ease the pain or heal my heart. Knowing that I am not alone helps me day by day. I hope it will help you also.  
Kat
Quote 0 0
Kat_05
Today I picked up the ashes of my Riley-boy.  It was difficult walking into the clinic to pick him up, but I had to bring him home. As I drove home clinging to the redwood box, I thought of the love and companionship he gave me for over 12 years. I remembered so many funny little puppy things he did, and all the big doberman things he did. The yard was patrolled for lizards and frogs. That included the air above the yard. It was definitely a no-fly zone for birds, bees, and planes.  He loved long walks, but if he saw a path to freedom at the front door, he would bolt to run like the wind. He knew I would follow him in the car, so he would slow and wait for me to catch up.  Only after he was tired, he would stop and jump in the car for a ride home. He has left a void in my heart and will love and miss him always. I wanted to share this poem that was on his certificate. It touched my heart.  

"Farewell, Master yet not farewell,
Where I go, ye, too, shall dwell,
I am gone, before your face,
moment's time, a little space,
When ye come where I have stepped
Ye will wonder why we wept."

"After Death" by Edwin Arnold 

Kat
Quote 0 0
Ell99
dear chuck - i am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful ruger. it is such a shock when they seem to be going ok and then suddenly bad news. it is so horrible when we lose our best friends. i wish there was an easy way to get thru this process. elle
Quote 0 0
Ell99
dear kat- i am so sorry for the loss of your riley. i totally understand the void you are talking about as im sure i will have that void also forever. im glad you have bought your riley home. hugs. elle
Quote 0 0
Kat_05
Elle, thank you reading my message. I so appreciate the response. It feels like a confirmation of importance of life of my Riley-boy. I'm am finding that after weeks of grieving over the would've, should've, could've guilt of what ifs; I find myself now remembering all the fun stories of the life we shared and the heart strings he wrapped around my soul.  My heart goes out the everyone that carries the sorrow of losing their companion and wish all peace. Kat
Kat
Quote 0 0
Chuck
Thanks for the kind replies. My wife picks him up tomorrow, he was cremated. It will be hard on her going there, I drive all week and feel terrible I can't be there to help. I drive all week with nothing but thoughts of Ruger and just wishing it wasn't over then I get home and just stare at all the places he would lay in the house and can't believe he's not there to jump on me when I get home.
Our other lab Jack is having a hard time like my wife and I too. We try keeping him busy but he keeps picking up the tennis balls we threw to them and dropping them because I think he smells Ruger. Then he walks around and lays in the spots Ruger used to lay.
Quote 0 0
Bailey15
Hi Chuck,
Ruger was a beautiful dog! I love the picture of him with the tennis ball in his mouth. That must have been so sad having to let him go while he was still giving you kisses. Since I lost Bailey back in November I've come to believe that animals know when it's time to go and they are not afraid but they want you to be with them. My husband and I talked to Bailey for a while before we left for the vet. He stared straight at us as if he knew exactly what we were saying and then he slept in my arms at the vet clinic while we talked. We had brought his bed and blanket so when the vet went out to give us some time and we put him on his bed he immediately stood up but as soon as I sat on the floor he laid down and put his little head in my hand - he was so calm and peaceful. I think maybe Ruger knew and was kissing you to thank you and tell you how much he loved you. (Just my thought). I hope your wife was okay with picking up his ashes. Maybe she and Jack will be able to comfort each other until you get back.
My heartfelt sympathy to you and your wife (and Jack)!
MJ
Quote 0 0
Chuck
Thank you, that .eans alot and I really hope that's what he eas doing. We hated to make the decision. All we wanted was to bring him home and for him to get better, but we knew it wasn't going to happen this time.
Quote 0 0
jessie2000
Hi Chuck,
I'm so sorry to hear about Ruger.
Thank you for replying to my post.
Like you, I knew when I took Jessie to the vet last week, she wouldn't be coming home.

Richard S.
Quote 0 0
annamarie_onesti54
Chuck wrote:
Friday I had to say good bye to the closest and most loyal friend I ever had. Our chocolate lab RUGER. He just turned 12 in April. A few months ago he was diagnosed with a nerve problem that affected his back legs. He was getting physical therapy and thought he was improving but Friday I got home and he couldn't stand anymore. We didn't want him to be in pain but was awful because he was still giving me kisses up until we said good bye.
I've never felt this kind of pain or sorrow. I pray that what I've read about rainbow bridge is true and that we'll be together again.
Quote 0 0
annamarie_onesti54
Im sorry
I lost my Choco 12 yrs 5 weeks ago it was the worst 3 days at the end of his precocious life.
Due to my vet which i have a better name for him but thats a long story.
I had him cremated i have his ashes an they gave me a foot print of his in plaster,an a angle pin that looks like him i ware it for protection an no hes with me.
I believe he is with my dear mother and Jesus and we will be together again.
Quote 0 0