Forum

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
emjl81

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello I am so happy to find a support board. I have taken the loss of my cat very badly. Mainly because she was my moms cat who passed in 2011. She was the last piece I clung to missing her. I feel awful because like my mom she passed away at half life. She was almost 11 years old. It all started about 3 weeks ago I noticed she was sleeping in the sink, drinking lots of water, losing weight and had a strong urinary odor. I took her to the vet last week thinking it was a U.T.I or something. She was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. It took a week to get the meds going but just when I was about to start treatment I noticed 2 days ago she looked terrible and was rapidly breathing. I couldn't get her into the vet that prescribed treatment in time so last night I took her to an emergency vet hospital. They told me she was having heart failure. We could have attempted treating it but there were no guarantees and she was drowning in fluid that was around her heart. I am so confused because I received so much conflicting information from too many different vets. 
     The one that prescribed the meds said it could be fatal if untreated too long but by the time symptoms appeared it seems it was already too late. The emergency vet said it may have been a separate occurrence from the recent diagnosis. She may have even had a cancerous tumor on her heart. My children ages 5 and 8 were with me when they told us it was recommended we euthanized her. I made the terrible decision. I also felt like I neglected and abandoned her and she was so good to me and loyal and layed on me all day purring. She followed me everywhere. I am experiencing all the grief symptoms I have with people I have lost. I think also it came on so sudden. She was pretty active and healthy up until a few weeks ago.
    Another thing I am struggling with also is we got a new dog in July who stalked her and shewed her away from me but I did my best to make time for her. I just hope it didn't stress her condition out more. Another thing bothering me is a year ago I took her to another vet that said her thyroid levels were high but they never recommended treatment. I wish they had because this cat was so special and perfect for me and I have had many cats this is the best one I have ever had. We had an incredible bond. I would have done everything to prolong her life. Its like a really cruel lesson or something. I know she did not want to part with me. I have been crying a day straight. I have had many pets but nothing has effected me as the loss of this one. Thank you for listening. It would help to hear from people who have also experienced hyperthyroidism in cats even though I am still pretty confused. :(

Reply with quote  #2 
I am truly sorry for your loss, Emily. And I certainly do feel your pain, as I am going through it myself after losing my dear cat, Lady G. It's been terrible for me.

I wish you and your family all the best during this difficult time. There are some great people on here willing to help you through it. I didn't even know these type of forums existed till after my little girl died. Glad I found it.

Her Memorial Thread
https://forums.rainbowsbridge.com/post/in-loving-memory-of-lady-g-10037593
emjl81

Reply with quote  #3 
Here she is.

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_20190309_084406_175.jpg (191.80 KB, 6 views)

Jeffrey_In_USA

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjl81
Here she is.

She is beautiful, Emily! And that is a great pic of her.

By the way, what's the orange thing beside her? My Lady G. loved playing with a small, orange plastic cap from a Gatorade bottle, and a large, orange plastic cap from a Tropicana orange juice bottle. I could roll them around on the floor, and she loved to chase after them, and play with them. I still have them and will keep them forever. In fact, I keep them right beside me here at the computer.

Her Memorial Thread
emjl81

Reply with quote  #5 
I think it is a plastic egg my children had. i am so proud of them. They were in the room when the vet told us to euthanize her last night. My daughter is 5 and has been consoling me all day. She even found a stuffed kitty for me to hold onto. They handled it so well. They gave her kisses and we all said our good byes. Night time is difficult because our dog is in her spot for bed and my cat is not. The morning is not good either. I tossed and turned all night thinking about her. At 6:30 this morning the time she would be getting up there was a mourning dove cooing outside my window. When I took trash out earlier I heard it too. I believe it was her saying good bye to me. I know she did not want to leave me. :'(

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjl81
I think it is a plastic egg my children had. i am so proud of them. They were in the room when the vet told us to euthanize her last night. My daughter is 5 and has been consoling me all day. She even found a stuffed kitty for me to hold onto. They handled it so well. They gave her kisses and we all said our good byes. Night time is difficult because our dog is in her spot for bed and my cat is not. The morning is not good either. I tossed and turned all night thinking about her. At 6:30 this morning the time she would be getting up there was a mourning dove cooing outside my window. When I took trash out earlier I heard it too. I believe it was her saying good bye to me. I know she did not want to leave me. :'(

I actually thought that was the top of a plastic Easter egg. 😉

And great hearing that the little ones are helping mommy through this difficult time, instead of the other way around. That's pretty awesome!

Who knows what that mourning dove may or may not have been trying to tell you, but I do know one thing, if I were you, I'd be looking forward to seeing it every day! 😉 I like to believe that my sweet, little girl is sending me messages through the animals around my house, too. I don't care how weird it sounds, it does my heart good to believe in that, so why not?

Her Memorial Thread
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #7 
Emily I’m so sorry for the tragic loss of your beloved kitty. The connection with your Mom and the kitty isn’t lost and I believe the mourning dove was letting you know they’ll both be with you always. We are spiritual beings and souls are eternal❣️🐾❣️ I wish I knew why bad things happen, I wish with everything in me they didn’t but we’re all here because they did and just trying to support each other on this journey of tears. You’re not alone, hugs,,,,,

Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you. I had another very rough night. I am not sleeping at all. They are bringing her ashes to us today. Now im playing the senerio of i wish i didnt take her to that holistic vet last year. She was showing signs of the illness and they said her thyroid levels were high but they didnt offer treatment for it. Im wondering why. I hope it wasnt because they were holistic and didnt believe in medicating. I wish I could have known sooner i would have started the treatments i would have done anything to keep her here still. I read they could have had their lives prolonged 3-5 years with threatment. I feel like i was neglegent. Ultimately she would have had heart failure. When i picked up the script last week to get it started the pharmacy said they saw cats responded very well to it. Im struggeling very bad. Now im harbouring guilt. She was truley my best friend. It happened too fast. Here today gone tommarow....Im so heartbroken.

Attached Images
png Screenshot_20190310-090949.png (563.77 KB, 6 views)

Tankie12

Reply with quote  #9 
Nights are the worst, or any quiet alone time when your thoughts race.
She had 2 unrelated health issues. One will not contribute to the other. I’m thinking her thyroid numbers were elevated in the normal range, high-normal. Most wouldn’t start treatment until it’s actually crossed the line. Once you start there is no going back, the meds begin to work with the thyroid and you always want it to do it’s job for as long as possible. The pulmonary edema seemed to come on quickly from what you write, I’d wonder about a tumor as the Vet brought up. But CHF ( chronic heart failure) is very unpredictable as well. That and cancer are the number one reasons people are here, sadly.
We’re ever prepared, even when we’ve been advised in advance. The sweet unconditional love they give is a blessing and the loss is shattering, it’s just so painfully hard😔
She’s coming home, I hope this is some comfort for all of you🐾,,,,,

Reply with quote  #10 
I understand your pain and wish you peace. I’m sleepless and riddled with guilt. I’m shattered over having my cat Nemo who was 15 suffering with congestive heart failure for longer than I realized let go by a vet. He fought longer than I fought for him . I let him go at home with the vet whom I resent right now. Although I had him drained twice with red fluid from his lungs and chest it kept filling him and he had heavy laboured breathing after a few days of drainage. I was up all night for one week trying to give him food, water, lasix orally through a syringe and vetmedin and flavix. Which didn’t go down well. He was always interactive with me and trying. He didn’t give up but I felt hopeless one morning after watching him become restless and was panicked he’d go into respiratory failure. The vet said to let him go with dignity. I fought for him three times against various vets reccomendations. I made the mistake of trusting a soft spoken vet who said we were on the same team. I know logically she may have been right but I wanted to try one last time with primobentin and get him drained again. And add renal failure medicine and potassium. I should’ve tried again but I could feel myself letting go. He was full of fluid in his belly and his breathing was laboured. The vet convinced me otherwise and I can’t stop replaying the alternatives. I wish I had my wits about me that March 7th and rushed him to the emergency. He had cardiomegaly and I was told he was in palliative care. On March 1st they said they’re surprised he was still alive. He was fighting it to the end. And I cut it short. He fought to stay alive. Despite the odds and was in rough shape.he lost ten pounds rapidly. I wish I wouldn’t have let him go. He was loved and was loving. Now I’m waiting for his ashes. Shell shocked and devasted . They let me see him at the crematorium they were kind and the prepared him for viewing. He looked at peace and sleeping. I only saw his face the rest was covered. Nemo was always there for me when I came home he knew the time. He was always wanting to be around me -slept when i slept and lived to eat -loved to be brushed and would always purr after a few seconds -to a certain extent then just walked away -same with petting he swatted my hand away after he was done . he knew the word brush and the word food and go see and his name and nemo come. He was always trying to understand me and communicate with me. He would jump on the bed with me if I was laying down and try and nudge me to play and would scratch and play fight. In the morning he would gently put his paw on my face to wake him usually for food but more for attention. towards the end he would stare are me. Just stare trying to tell me something for months. I wish I knew his pain. He would jump and chase a ball and cry for me as a kitten when I’d leave the house. He lived to scratch and scratched walls sofas and other things nothing he did bothered me. I just let him be and tried to understand what he wanted . And he tried to understand me. He was always vocalizing to me. And I tried to get what the pitch of his meow meant. Usually attention and food. But I missed things as his heart was in failure for a while but not obviously. He started to slow down not a whole lot but enough. He was still same in eating and engaging with me but just not as frisky. Sometimes he would vomit . All Signs of heart failure I missed. Thinking it was old age and hair balls. I used to let him outside and he’d explore but I never let him go out of my eyesight when he did I’d look for him call his name and he’d come back. he was remarkably beautiful inside and out. So loving so sweet so handsome. He developed white substance in his stool and I took him for deworming on January 23rd became lethargic I took him back in he was 16lbs on February 15th I had xrays and bloodwork completed he was healthy except for a bladder stone, but after that he stated to not eat or drink as much so I’d coax him and hold his food for him but he Began panting on February 26th so I had him tapped then again on March 1st he was in congestive heart failure . I went another week hoping against the odds he was a fighter. But the fluid came back. So I Had the vet come to the house she came once then back later the last time she put him into heavy sedation but he was wide awake looked at me cried and then was gone . my baby nemo . Love you nemo . I’m so sorry.
emjl81

Reply with quote  #11 
Tankie- Thank you for clarifying things you seem knowledgeable about the health aspects of these conditions. I was left extremely confused because last week the vet I took her to that prescribed meds for hyperthyroidism downplayed the possibility of her dieing from it. She didn't seem overly concerned about it so I didn't rush to get started. That holistic vet didn't at the time either so I didn't realize how serious it could be. On Friday when I tried calling the vet that prescribed the meds she was too busy that day to return my call. I waited by the phone all day to ask what was happening to my cat. I finally took her to the emergency hospital and that vet said the 2 conditions were separate like you said. She said the hyperthyroidism did not cause the fluid in the chest. She mentioned possibly a mass surrounding the heart did. When I asked the crematory what the cause of death was they didn't have it on record. They said call the emergency hospital which I did yesterday and they said they didn't either and to call the same Dr on Monday. Your saying the fluid build up was a pulmonary edema? You think it was separate from the hyperthyroidism and could have been a form of cancer that ultimately took her? Its so weird because she was drinking all that water sitting in the sink she was at that time last week overeating so thats why we got the hyperthyroid diagnosis but it quickly turned to something tragic. It must have been a coincided problem but not connected to the death. It was just so sudden thank you for clarifying things for me. I have had so many cats my first cat as a child lived until he was 23. I did not expect this. She was the sweetest. Maybe her heart condition made her that way. I do recall way back when I first got her about 8 years ago the original vet I took her too mentioned something about her heart vaguely. I can't remember what they said but i do recall them mentioning heart failure down the road. This was my moms cat who I lost at 56 in 2011. Im really having a hard time with this loss. 

Nemosorry- I am sorry for your loss. Thats awesome he lived until 15 but still the longer they live the more used to them we get and it doesn't make it better. They say with cats by the time symptoms appear its almost always too late. They are so tough and resiliant you have no idea. I had no idea about Kitty until it was too late. She was dropping weight rapidly but still active and eating. She stopped eating 2 days before she died. I pulled her bag of temptation treats out on Friday she came running in habit. Looked at them turned and ran away. I knew something was terribly wrong. She would eat a whole bag of them if I let her! I tried putting her in my lap and she jumped down and went to the closet. I knew something was terribly wrong. The last image i have in my mind of her is her putting her head under the towel that was in her cat carrier like she knew it was the end. She hid her face from me. The vet appointment last week she sat behind my back when the vet came in. She was so shy. This was the best cat I ever had in my entire life and I'm thankful my mom passed her on to me. She had a very good life with us up until the last 2 days before she died. My dog bothered her though but i did my best to set time aside for her. I miss her terribly. I know how you feel!

Reply with quote  #12 
What a beautiful girl, oh how I’m crying. I’m so, so sorry for the guilt you feel, I understand completely. My dog recently gave birth to 4 spunky puppies, they’re 3 months old now, but big! They’ve gotten big enough to chase the cats around when they’re outside, all in fun, Big Boy was actually my only cat who loved to play with the puppies! But I can’t help but to think they may have chased my Big Boy into the road when he was hit. It wasn’t like him to go near that road, he was terrified of cars and loud sounds. Not to mention I live on a very big hill, a good distance from the road, so when Big Boy was out and about exploring, he always stayed in the back yard or the woods behind the house. Something definitely lured or chased him down the hill and into the road that night, I’m hoping it wasn’t the puppies bc they’re sweet and innocent too. But my guilt is unbareable. I worked a 12 hour shift Friday and was so tired I didn’t go the extra mile I usually do to make sure all my kitties are in the house before dark. That’s happened a few times, but Big Boy loved the outdoors, and he was always waiting for me at the door the very next morning. But that was before the puppies were born. I hope the stories we share with eachother, along with the photos of our beautiful angels, can help ease our pain a little. XOXO
emjl81

Reply with quote  #13 
Yes. It is Spring and there are animals awakening. He may have been hunting and doing something enjoyable during the time of his death. I keep googling her condition and it keeps saying hyperthyroidism can lead to congestive heart failure if untreated. I just want my angel here. I feel your pain. They were so special. i think once in a life time connections. 

Reply with quote  #14 
They just dropped off her ashes to me. I broke down sobbing. I am distraught. 

Reply with quote  #15 
Bless your heart! 😿 I know you miss her terribly and I know it hurts! I know it’s bittersweet, but I think the light at the end of this long tunnel is that your mom and your beautiful, sweet girl are together again, playing and waiting for the day that they are reunited with YOU! Forever! Please just be kind to yourself, every single day, and please take some comfort in knowing they are up there happy and content until that day comes!! I will be praying for you and your family! Sending lots and lots of love your way! ❤️❤️
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.