ahartofilis
Hello, my name is Andrea. I had a 10 yr. old Lab Pointer named Coco. put her to rest yesterday as she was suffering with Bone Cancer. Coco was a beautiful dog with a lot of energy and love for life. We got in daily walks of almost a mile daily. She was well known in the neighborhood for her beauty as well as her antics and playful personality. But most of all she was my companion and sweet friend as my older daughters were moving on with their lives. When she was diagnosed almost a month ago I was hurled into a world of confusion and disbelief about it all. I looked into all the treatments, leg amputation, chemo, radiation. My vet told me that it had spread to lungs. I would only be buying her a few months to a year at most. Was it all worth it to prolong her life in and out of medical procedures and she had pretty much decided not to step foot inside a vets office as it was. I decided to keep her comfortable with the advice of my vet and we tried. But only 3 weeks after I could see that the pain was just to much for her to really have any quality of life. She could not go on walks and perhaps had one good day out of 4 or 5. I knew I had to let her go. Sometimes I think she was hanging on for me. I know she was brave for all of us but It was my job to see through that and do the best thing for her. So I put her to rest on Sunday with a home visit from the vet. I am really upset right now and trying to deal with this. I miss Coco but I know it was the right thing to do. thanks for reading.
Quote 0 0
loft2111
I am so sorry to hear about your loss of Coco.  Bone cancer is very difficult for dogs and the pain is extreme, you did the right thing.  Dogs do not show pain, and by the time we see their discomfort it's almost unbearable to them.  It's very difficult saying goodbye, I had to let my Little Man go on 10/1 and still cry, my heart is truly broken. 
Take care, you came to the right place.
LM's mom.
Quote 0 0
animal_qwackers
Hello, Andrea,

My deepest condolences over the loss of Coco. On here you are, without a doubt, in good company, each one of us having lost a beloved friend. It is said that our pets do hold on for us and will bear terrible pain without it showing. I believe you did the right thing for Coco, the last act of love and devotion to your wonderful girl. It takes immense courage to make that shattering decision but, if Coco was suffering, it was for the best.

I have lost two of my beautiful babies recently and the pain and despair is still unbearable at times. However, I will go through the misery, as the delight, joy, and unconditional love, with which they enriched my life, was worth every tear I have shed and will continue to shed.

When you feel up to it, it would be lovely to see a picture of Coco. She was a credit to you and I am sure you feel privileged to have had her in your life. Remember her always with deepest love and affection. She will always be with you, no matter where you are.

My thoughts are with you.

Wendy

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Jack Lemmon

Solly, Gonzo, Daisy-Mae, Ebony, Jerry, Tigger, Bonnie, Suzy, Cleo, Spike, Sooty, and Tibby – dazzling lights that will never fade. Adored, cherished, I was privileged to know you all. Until we meet again, my beautiful babies. Bowls of love and cuddles, your ever-loving, devoted Mummy xxxxxxxxxx

Quote 0 0
Dalidog
Andrea...  Your post about Coco shows how much you love her and didn't want her to suffer.  It is so hard when they go from being so vibrant to leaving us in such a short amount of time.  But then, no time is enough time when are furbabies cross the bridge.   Grief has a lot of stages, and the guilt and "what ifs" are so very hard to deal with.  It sounds like you did all you could do for your Coco.  Take comfort in that.  The silence and the loneliness are so hard to deal with at times.  I still cry every day and tell my Dali how sorry I am that she is not here.  She has sent me signs that have helped me tremendously, but life is different forever now and can never be the same.  When you can, post some pictures of your Coco and tell us stories about her.  We all love to hear about the babies that have gone to the bridge.  I get great comfort talking about my Dali and also reading stories and seeing pictures of the forever pets that are posted on this site.  It took me a long time to be able to even look at pictures, but now I sleep with one and keep them close.  I am so sorry for your loss.  The most important thing I can say is to take your time and grieve at your own pace.  Never let anyone tell you to "move on" or "it was just a dog".  The loss of a forever pet IS losing a child and you never get over it, just learn to cope.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Coco.

Dali, as much a daughter as any human...  pure love
Until we meet again

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/DALI003/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
ahartofilis
I want to thank L.M.s mom, Wendy, and Dali's mom for your condolences and sentiments. I appreciate your heart felt thoughts at this time in my life. The past couple of days have been very difficult. Coco came to me in a dream last night and I was petting her and it was very real. I woke up and soon realized it was a dream and I burst out crying. My husband spent the next hour trying to calm me down and although he knew it was going to be a tough week he told me that I cant keep doing this to myself. He tried to comfort me and I love him for that. Right now it is all way to intense for me to say too much. I told Coco  many times in the past couple of weeks not to worry about me and that I would be O.K. I prayed over her and told her that I loved her and her heavenly father loves her. I told her this up until she took her last breath. She was a strong dog and we both handled a lot of pain in life together. I just want Coco to be at peace with where she is at. I feel that she wants me to take a rest from it all and be warm and comfortable for a while. I am suffering a lot and must take it somewhere. I am sure that somehow this kind of suffering serves to make one a better person. I must admit that I do not see the forest through the trees yet. I suppose that grieving is a process and I am certainly not an expert in this.
Quote 0 0
Wilkie
Thinking of you today when I lost one of my darling kitties.

God bless and take care of yourself.

Wilkie
Quote 0 0
ahartofilis
Thanks Wilkie, I also have 2 cats, Siamese brothers that I adopted about a year ago. They are a real comfort to me now. I am sorry for the loss of your kitty and I send you my heartfealt condolences. God Bless you as well!! Andrea
Quote 0 0
ahartofilis
I want to say good night to my beloved Coco. Tonight was first time I came home from work and you were not here to greet me. The house was quiet although my husband and daughter were also home. But you were not there waiting at the window wagging your entire body and meeting me at the stairs with excitement and kisses. It was really hard for me and of course I burst out into tears again. My husband says whats the matter? I said I hate my life right now!! I found something else to pick on and calmed down by feeding the cats Ben and Vadie. They are good for me now. Two brothers that I adopted from a sad situation a couple of years ago and they seem so content to be here now. But Coco was my love for 10 yrs. and nothing can take her place. Ben and Vadie need my love and they will get it but don't think that for a second that my love is not there for you Coco. I will always cherish the years I had with you!!! I want you to be at peace and happy. You were the best dog that anyone could ask for. I will never forget you. I just hope that I gave you a good life as I did the best that I could to keep you happy. You deserved it!! May our heavenly father be with you now and give to you whatever I could not. I will always love You!! Mom
Quote 0 0
loft2111
I remember the day I came home from work after my Little Man had passed, as I was walking to the front door I was crying, knowing I would not be seeing his beautiful face looking and waiting for me and his excitement to see me when I walked in.  I will never forget the firsts. The first morning without him, the first dinner without him, the first day back at work without him and so on.  I still have his wet nose marks all over my doors and refuse to clean them, its been 10 weeks for me. Your grief will take time to ease, you have to be kind to yourself and allow yourself to go through all the emotions.  You will receive signs from you Coco and they will comfort you.  Thinking of you.  Little Man's mom
Quote 0 0
ahartofilis
L.M.s  Mom, Thank you for youre thoughts. I am learning that I need to get comfortable with my grief because its not going anywhere. Coco was my first dog. I always had cats and have 2 now. I adore my cats but the relationship that I had with Coco was different. She was my love for 10 yrs. All of those years were mostly good healthy years for her until about 2 months ago when she developed a severe limp from the bone cancer. It broke my heart to see my beautiful dog who would walk a mile a day with me not even be able to walk a few houses down the street without it being too much for her. Then I had to keep her drugged up on painkillers just for her to be somewhat comfortable. She really hated the Tramadol as it is a bitter pill and would smell it out of anything and refuse to take the pill or the food it was in. So it was hard for me to control her pain. It was a relief to end her pain and suffering but that was replaced by the grief. It has been a really hard week for me I must admit. There have been so many emotions to deal with from guilt, to anger, but most of all I am extremely sad about loosing my Coco. It is difficult to deal with all of these emotions on a daily basis. Coco gave me so much during her life with me. I want to honor her the best way that I can, she deserves that. Thanks for listening, Andrea 
Quote 0 0
ahartofilis
Today is the first day that the sun has been out in quite a while here in the northeast. Even though it is quite cold out I want to venture outside to take the walk that Coco and I would take every day together. It will be the first day for me to do this but I feel that I must do it. I will let you know how it goes. I also printed up some pictures of my last day with Coco, I will try to figure out how to get a picture up for you all the see my beautiful chocolate lab. I purchased some cards for Hallmark and perhaps over the weekend will write a personal note to each of the neighbors that had a relationship with me and Coco. I feel that it is only fitting to let them know about her and also that I am thankful to the time  they spent with Coco and me!! That is going to take some effort as I have a list of at least 10 neighbors within the area that we walked that knew us!! Coco was such a social and loving dog, After all she was a LAB, O.K. she was half lab, half pointer, and had a very unique personality. She always wanted to chase anything, squirrels, rabbits, and cars!! I could never quite break her of the habit of wanting to chase down a car that passed by so she would often do a spinning thing when the car came by and try to lunge at the car when it passed. It was often very comical to see but it really did take a lot out of me to hold her back at times. I tried all kinds of things to break her of this but I hated using a choke collar. She hated it too and would sit and refuse to move when I used it on her. I tried a spray bottle with water but after a few times she did not care if she got sprayed and just kept on doing what she had to do. She would actually crouch down on the ground the way a cat does and wait for the car to come by. I spoke with dog trainers who said that this was a very difficult thing to break as she is a hunter, sporting dog, the pointer in her and this is what she feels she must do. Its her job sort of speak!! Anyway she did calm down through the years and I can tell you I developed some pretty strong arms!! Somehow I found a way to manage her but I was the only one in the family that could or would walk her. When I had to have surgery about 3 yrs. ago I could not walk her for a few weeks. My dear brother in law took the job and although he loved Coco dearly he would say that she is a crazy dog!! What can I say, I was good at loving and spoiling but not so much the training. I would not change one day of it!! thanks for reading, Andrea
Quote 0 0
loft2111

We would all love to see pictures of Coco, she sounds wonderful.  My LM was very calm, he never acted like a dog due to his background.  I remember a vet telling me I should train him, so that he can learn to sit, stay and other commands.  At that point he was old and I liked him the day it was.  Their cute quirks make them who they are so why change it!  One of the hardest things after he passed was seeing all his friends walking and knowing that we could not join them.  It took me about a month before I was able to venture outside with my neighbor and her dog (LM's GF) we walked the same path we would everyday and talked about his memory. 
Take care and looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Quote 0 0