Kayhanton
I had to put my dog to sleep yesterday and the grief and guilt I’m feeling is unbearable. I rescued Cheeko from my daughter’s friend’s family who didn’t want him anymore. Cheeko had been locked in a bathroom, not house trained at all and he was almost 2 years old. The day I picked him up, the owner’s boyfriend had bathed him and I witnessed him kicking Cheeko down the stairs. I thought to myself “you are going to be given the best life ever!” Cheeko became my best friend and I use to call him my boyfriend. At the age of 4 years he began to have health problems. I took him to the vet and found out he had lung disease, an enlarged heart and an enlarged liver. I went home with medication which seemed to help. A year later, he began to have sever diarrhea which continued on until the day he died. The vet and I tried every medication, every diet to get it under control. Cheeko had every test that could be done and they all came back perfect. We came to the conclusion that this was Cheeko’s new normal. About two weeks ago and the age of 10, Cheeko began having accidents of in the house which he hadn’t done since we first received him. I took him back to the vet. They again did some test on him and sent be home with an antibiotic for his diarrhea. He continued to have accidents in the house and I noticed on Sunday that there was blood in his urine. I also noticed that he was straining to pee and was dribbling. I made an appointment yesterday again at the vet because I thought he had a UTI. After an x-ray and getting a urine sample I found out he had kidney stones. I was given two options. I could allow him to have surgery and there was a very slim chance he would survive because of his lung and heart condition or have him euthanized. I loved him so much and I knew if I got a phone call saying he didn’t survive surgery, I would never forgive myself for putting him through that so I chose to have him put to sleep. I’m now going through the “What if’s” and “did I make the right decision?” I’m absolutely riddled with the feeling of guilt even though I know and saw the pain he was in. My heart is absolutely broken by the loss of my beautiful dog and I honestly feel I’m falling into a huge depression. Any words of advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
I’m so sorry. But I’m so happy you took Cheeko into your home and heart and showed him what it was to be loved and truly cared for. You were his angel, he’s yours now. There are not words to take away the pain your in. You loved him and he loved you unconditionally the loss is huge. What you did for him is also huge and those ties will never be broken. His physical presence is gone and you will forever miss him but that bond you share will keep you close always,,,,,
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
Kayhanton
I want to thank you so much. You have no idea how much I need to hear that. My heart is so broken and the pain is so raw that it actually hurts to breath.
Thank you again for what you wrote.
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Karen no one should go through this alone. The pain and flood of emotions are just to strong. These are our babies. If they had 2 legs we’d be given so much latitude. In every sense of the word they Are and the pain is no less. Many of the others here have never had those lil human babies, I have. And I know if the pain of losing a child is worse I couldn’t make it. Sadly not everyone can understand that. But here you will find so many caring giving souls who even though they to are deeply missing those babies will still reach out. We know. We get it.
I’d love to see a picture of Cheeko,,,,,
Quote 0 0
Rookiesmama
Kayhanton,
I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to Cheeko, but I'm so glad he found you. ❤ It's clear he was very loved! Thinking of you and sending you a hug!!
Quote 0 0
Kayhanton
Thank you so much. Big hug to you too.
Quote 0 0
Kayhanton
I have attached a picture to my original post. This is one of my favourite pictures of him. He was young and in perfect health. My daughter had put an angel costume on him for Halloween.
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Aww I told you he was your angel!! Do I say handsome or adorable? He’s both🐾❣️
Quote 0 0
MAlcindor
Kayhanton, I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved Cheeko. He was so lucky to have found you, you gave him so much love and care and you made sure you made up for the first sad years of his life. I'm sure he loves you for loving him and taking care of him the way you did. Saying goodbye to them is never easy and the pain I'm afraid will be with us forever. Sending hugs your way and again I am so sorry.
Quote 0 0