nancy326
Hi Everyone, Today is my first day with this forum. I had 2 shelties, and 4 weeks ago my blue merle Bella suddenly passed. I'm so sad and wanted to reach out to try to find some answers. My Bella who passed was bit between her shoulder blade by my yorkie mix about 1 1/2 years ago. She was immediately treated with  antibiotics it was cleaned out but on and off it would heal, scab and go away, come back etc. She was seen several time for this and finally about 8 months ago the vet put her under anesthesia removed the infected area stitched her up and she healed beautifully. As time when on about 4 months ago I noticed the area was red and a scab was forming right on where the incision was, brought her back the vet said that maybe one of the sutures didn't heal properly and poked up through the incision and it re-opened. Again she gave her the 2 week antibiotic injection it began to heal. A month went by and I noticed the scab was still there brought her back and the vet lifted the scab and it was really infected again. She took a sample this time as she couldn't believe why it wasn't healing and sent it to the lab. Meanwhile, she put her on Cefpodoxime 100 mg once per day. Results came back that she had 2 bacteria infections which this drug was recommend and also called for amoxicillin 250 mg twice per day which  was 5 weeks ago. She was doing fine we would walk every day she weight was good and she was eating fine. So she had been on the first antibiotic about a week and amoxicillin for 2 days. Four weeks ago today she didn't want to eat so I called the vet and she said her belly might be upset due to antibiotics for me to boil her Hamburg and rice mixture which I did and she ate it. That night she was panting a bit but was walking and  everything seemed ok. The next morning I woke up she wasn't barking she went outside to go potty now was walking slowly. This was about 7:30, she would not eat or drink. I immediately put her in my car drove her to my work like we usually did and now in a matter of 30 minutes she could not get out of my jeep. I picked her up put her in her bed called the vet and was leaving to go there and she went unconscious, we were speeding to get to the vet and she passed 5 minutes before I got there. I asked them to look at the wound and it had healed and looked great. Please can someone share an opinion is this a complete coincidence that this happened in 45 minutes she went from walking in the yard to passing away. I didn't want a autopsy as I didn't want to put her through that but they feel it was either a hemorrhage to her brain or her heart and wasn't related to the wound. The vet also feels it could have been a stroke.   Could someone please give me their opinion? Sorry for such a long message but I wanted to make sure of all the details. Bella was only 8 1/2 years of age. I had her cremated and now have just great memories but I struggle with this as was this something that could have been prevented? I'm just heart broken. Thank you. Nancy
Quote 0 0
Jimbo106
Very sorry to hear about Bella. Sounds like you DID try everything to prevent her passing. Infections can hide for a long time and can be hard to eliminate. It also could be a sudden allergy to an antibiotic. Since you did all you could, try not to dwell on the "why". You kept going to the vet to try and find the problem, many times, and did not give up.

Blessings to you and Bella.

Jim
Quote 0 0
Dalidog
So sorry to hear about Bella.  You did all you could do.  It sounds like it could have been a sudden allergy.  My Dali left me 2 weeks ago.  She had been to the vet the day before for a respiratory infection.  She was walking and happy.  They injected her with an antibiotic and prescribed pills.  The next morning she just died.  I think it was her heart or an allergy.  Nothing we could do.  I know how it feels to feel hopeless and heart broken.  My prayers are with you and Bella as we all try to come to grips with the sudden loss of a family member who knows nothing but love for us.  God Bless you

Dali, as much a daughter as any human...  pure love
Until we meet again

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/DALI003/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
nancy326
Thank you for your kind words, its so hard, I called the vet as now that I have had time since her passing I have questions.  I asked her if the infection had anything to do with her passing and she said absolutely not she would have shown signs such as vomiting, etc.  She also had been on those meds before so she would not have had an allergic reaction.  She feels it could have been a stroke.  I just wish I could have closure to understand.  Thank you.

Nancy
Quote 0 0