molly

My 9 year old basset hound passed away just yesterday and I am just devastated. I feel so lost without her. Back in january, she was diagnosed with complete heart block so she needed a pacemaker. I went ahead with the surgery and she turned into the miracle dog -- she was like a puppy again. But then 2 nights ago, she started having trouble breathing and was coughing. I was up with her all night. Took her to the cardiologist the next morning (thought maybe the pacemaker stopped working or something) and it seemed she had a blood clot in her lung most likely. She got worse within an hour -- coughing up blood. She was suffering and nothing could be done for her. I thought for sure once she got the pacemaker, she would be with me at least another 3-5 years --but then she starts having other problems. THis is my first dog of my very own and i had her for 9 years. Horrible, just horrible. I loved that dog  so much.

Quote 0 0
judylinn
I am so very sorry for your loss. I understand the horrible pain of loss that you are feeling. Maddie was my first dog as well. It sounds like you did all you could for her. My heart hurts just feeling your pain about her. Just let the grief out, those are all tears of the love you shared..and the releasing will really help you.
Know that you have understanding and support here. We will be with you to walk this journey that is so difficult. My thoughts and prayers are with you.  Judylinn
Quote 0 0
heartsick
It really is devastating and I am so sorry you are going through this. I lost my Bear who was also my first baby. I have not slept without him for nearly fourteen years. Everyone here understands how you are feeling. I am divorced now. When I was married I buried my son. At that time I became a Certified Grief Counselor. This helps me not at all with all of the pain of grief. It is the LOVE that is the most important thing. She knows you LOVE her asw she LOVES you. When someone we love dies we don't stop loving them. LOVE never dies.
We are all here for you.
Please feel free to contact me in any way you wish whenever you wish.
Again I am so sorry for your loss.
Susan(heartsick)
Quote 0 0
julieandfurbabies
I am so very sorry for your loss of your beautiful basset hound.  Like you, Judy and Susan, Gemma was my first dog .... my first born and the pain is unbearable when they have to leave.
Please know that we are all here for you and we feel your pain.
Big hugs xx   
Love Julie x
Quote 0 0
GingersMommie
Molly - I am so sorry for your loss.  You have come to the right place. All of us here  have been though much of what you have and understand your grief.  I lost my precious Ginger 10 weeks ago after going through heart failure and multiple other problems. We do our best for our babies, and sometimes our best is just not enough. We always lose them too soon no matter how long we have them. Your baby is now free of  her problems and can forever run and play with the other furbabies at the Bridge. She is now watching over you as you did for her.  Take care of yourself.  We are here if you want to chat.
Quote 0 0
julieandfurbabies
How are you today Molly? We've been thinking of you. Here is a poem for you...I hope it makes you feel better x

I'm Still Here

Friend, please don't mourn for me
I'm still here, though you don't see.
I'm right by your side each night and day
and within your heart I long to stay.

My body is gone but I'm always near.
I'm everything you feel, see or hear.
My spirit is free, but I'll never depart
as long as you keep me alive in your heart.

I'll never wander out of your sight-
I'm the brightest star on a summer night.
I'll never be beyond your reach-
I'm the warm moist sand when you're at the beach.

I'm the colorful leaves when fall comes around
and the pure white snow that blankets the ground.
I'm the beautiful flowers of which you're so fond,
The clear cool water in a quiet pond.

I'm the first bright blossom you'll see in the spring,
The first warm raindrop that April will bring.
I'm the first ray of light when the sun starts to shine,
and you'll see that the face in the moon is mine.

When you start thinking there's no one to love you,
you can talk to me through the Lord above you.
I'll whisper my answer through the leaves on the trees,
and you'll feel my presence in the soft summer breeze.

I'm the hot salty tears that flow when you weep
and the beautiful dreams that come while you sleep.
I'm the smile you see on a baby's face.
Just look for me, friend, I'm everyplace!

Author Unknown

Love Julie x
Quote 0 0
molly

thanks everyone for your support. It has been 4 days now -- some moments are easier than others. have any of you gotten a new puppy yet? I am thinking about getting another basset hound in about a month. I live alone and work from home, so it is horrible having an empty house.  I miss my basset so much.

Quote 0 0
heartsick
Getting another puppy is a great idea because you have so much love to give and would be a wonderful mom - HOWEVER, please be aware that at 4 days after loss you are not emotionally in the right place for another little love until you grieve your precious lost baby. What often happens - though subconsciously- is that when the new puppy does not act like the lost baby people get angry at the new puppy. We all grieve at a different speed but FOUR days is not long enough to grieve a love like you've had. I know how much you miss your baby. I miss my Bear with every single fiber of my being every single second of every day. The one thing that burying my son and becoming a Grief Counselor has taught me is that we need the time to grieve because no living being can be replaced. We are all attracted to our own specific types of furbabies. If the new one arrives before we have grieved for the lost one we may get angry and mourn and hurt even more because the new one is not our lost baby. Olease give yourself enough time to grieve your loss so that you will be able to make the most of your new life with you rnew baby. Speak to your vet, a pet bereavement counselor, or someone who has been through it before you make any permanent decisions. I am saying these things - not to hurt you- I promise - but to try and take care of you because I care about you very much.
My Love to You,
Susan
Quote 0 0
Lola12
My baby girl Lola passed away yesterday morning at home in my arms. So Sad. No words to describe her kindness. She loved everybody.
Quote 0 0
Lola12
I Love You Lola forever and ever🌸
Quote 0 0