AmyLyon
My precious Piper passed 4 yrs ago yesterday She was my emotional support friend she was everything to me a doorway to the outside world. Since her death from cancer it’s been so lonely more anxiety. She always alerted me to my anxiety calming me staying with me until I was good. She was my best friend. My therapist & doctors want me to get another dog I feel like I am letting Piper down if I do. Do u think it’s ok for me to get another partner?
Quote 0 0
Darleen
Hi AmyLyon,  I am so sorry for your loss of precious Piper.  I absolutely think it is time to reach out and find another dog for your emotional support.  Your beautiful Piper loved you and would want you to love and cherish another dog.  Please go find that special dog that I know Piper will guide you to.  My precious chihuahua Sambucca went to the Rainbow Bridge on 1/19 on Friday.  I am so emotionally broken.  He was only five. He died of kidney failure from an unknown cause.  I am taking one day at a time but it is so painful.   Darleen
Quote 0 0
Chinadoll
Amy, I can feel your love for Piper in all your words, she filled a void, a need and became your wonderful heart dog. You will not be letting Piper down if you get another fur angel, she knows how much you loved her, how much you relied on her for support, she was blessed to have you and you were blessed to have her. If you feel like another dog would help, I  think Piper would be the first to say 'I love you, I understand, I want you to be happy again'. Blessings to you and prayers.

Darleen, I'm so sorry for your loss. I am praying for comfort and peace for you. This is a long journey with many waves of griefs, but eventually, it will become a little easier. Your memories of Sambucca will be more about the happy times and the deep love you both shared. Blessings.
Charlie
Quote 0 0
carmens_mom

Hi AmyLyon,
When you have a friend as special as Piper, the number of years without them don't always ease the sadness.  I think we develop a "new normal" as we know we will never be the same person without them.  I so agree with Darleen when she says that Piper would want you to love another dog again and I too think Piper will help you to pick out the perfect one. A very kind woman posted this on the forum yesterday and it might fit this situation exactly.  She didn't credit the author but I think it's beautiful

“A SECOND DOG”

Sometimes I look for traits in you

of another dog you never knew;

A dog who loved me all her/his days

and understood in special ways.

But that's not fair to you, you elf.

You're not a substitute, you’re yourself.

You've eased the loss, soothed the pain

and tugged my laughter home again.

Yet pup, at times the tears may start

when your eyes recall her/him to my heart.

You'll never lack for love it's clear.

Because of her/him you're twice as dear.

Wishing you comfort and peace always

My warmest regards,  Carmen's and Gigi's mom - alicia
Quote 0 0
normsmom
What a beautiful poem, Carmen's mom! And Amy, as others have said - Piper loved you so much and would want you to have the comfort that comes from the unconditional support of a dog. She will definitely help you to pick the right one. Wishing you so much peace and comfort during your grief. I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Piper. 

Heather
Quote 0 0
springacres
Amy, you are absolutely NOT letting Piper down by getting another dog.  Talk to her if you feel able, explain you're not replacing her and never will, but that you need another dog in your life now that she can't provide you with the services you need.  You can even try asking her to send you one if you think that might help.

Maria
Callie - my dog daughter
Tigger & Katrina - my angel kitties
Quote 0 0
AmyLyon
Darleen I am so sorry your baby passed. It’s a heartfelt hole it’s so horrible the feeling to have. Your in my heart & mind. Pass Love & Light to you. Thank you for your words I am looking for another friend.
Thank you all much appreciated & I am sure Piper will guide me. She is always with me spiritually I feel her all the time. She isn’t with me physically but in my hardest days she is spiritually I feel her!
Quote 0 0