Ann13
I’m having such a hard time with the loss of my cat of 18 years. The hurt is unbearable and I can’t stop crying. I loved him so much and miss him terribly. Anyone there who can give me any advice😂
Quote 0 0
PipersMother
Hi Ann, I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet cat.  Eighteen years is a great long time to be together.  I lost my Miranda cat at the age of 22 just last week, one week ago today in fact.  It's so hard when they are old because you begin to think they're going to live forever. 

I often called Miranda "Timex" because she took a licking and kept on ticking.  I also used to joke that she was going to outlive all of us, and that 100 years from now she'd be telling her new mom stories of yesteryear.  As pets age and grow with you, they become such an embedded part of your life and your family.

Although I have found a place of peace and acceptance about Miranda's passing, I still miss her greatly (times infinity) and I really don't know what to do with myself.  I'm Miranda's mom (and Piper's mom too; she died 10 months ago at the age of 11).  But now she's not here, so who am I?

I don't know what the best advice is to give you, other than just take one hour at a time, one day at a time. Remember the best of times with your kitty and know that he loved you. 

One of the hardest things about pets dying is that nobody but the owner/family seems to care.  There's no funeral, nobody stops by with a casserole.  There's no announcement in the paper and long-lost acquaintances don't come calling.  I felt so sad for Miranda that her death went unnoticed, even by her vet who didn't send a card or flowers or anything.  I found it helpful to have a little memorial service for Miranda, just by myself. I made it up as I went.  I even ordered a beautiful bouquet of sympathy flowers to be delivered.  The flowers weren't for me, they were to honor Miranda and to mark the occasion of her passing.  I felt that after 22 years on earth, she deserved a beautiful bouquet of flowers to acknowledge her time here.  The bouquet is sitting on the table in plain view and I have a framed 8x10 photo of her sitting right beside it.  It might sound crazy to a lot of people, but these things helped me tremendously.  It helped me to make the statement to the world that she was here and she was (and still is) very important.  

I wish you peace and comfort as you grieve your kitty.  In time, it will come.
Quote 0 0
ourwonderfulkitty
Ann, my thoughts are with you.

We lost our wonderful kitty one week ago and its as unreal now as it was then, and even more so in some ways,
since had to get back to doing all the other things that need doing but am so empty inside - and thats ok with
me to feel that way and am encourage by others on the forum that it is.  Am finding it helpful also to talk
with the pet loss support lines and read articles such as found on this site.

The practical side of me says yes it was the right decision to let her go, based on the health issues
and lots of reading to understand that, rather then believe the vet.

But the emotional side, and perhaps this is me being selfish, i don't know, just can't imagine being without her 
and might say sometimes why did we let you go, when we know that it was the right thing.  

But in any case, no matter what situation would have happened that would have not let her be with us anymore,
it would still be strange and unreal and so sad, and again I accept that these are normal feelings.

sorry to ramble on here.

Ann, again my thoughts are with you.

Quote 0 0
Sil
Ann13, PiperMommy, Ourwonderfulkitty,

My heart breaks for your losses.  We love and will love our fur babies always.  And, yes their passing might go unnoticed  by "other" people, but never by their "humans".  And, WE their humans - mommies, daddies, etc -  honor their time spent with us doing whatever feels comfortable.  We their humans, understand the pain, the emptiness, the loneliness, feelings of not feeling "complete", the hollow space in our hearts.....I could write and write.  I just want to say, you have the right to honor your beloved pet by doing whatever feels right.....I bought myself a special bracelet with stones with my fur baby's eye color.  Sol (which means sun) said good bye, July 17, 2017, I'm planning to wear this bracelet on July 17, 2018.

Again, I am truly sorry for your loss.  Hugs
Quote 0 0
Ann13
Thank you so much to everyone. It really helps to know that people feel the way I do. I know it will get easier and I’m hoping the hurt and empty feeling will get smaller with time. I wish you all peace and so many prayers to you all. This is really a great help. May I ask if anyone got another kitty afterwards.
Quote 0 0