blenkay

not sure if anyone can help me.. but my dog ( a lab retriever)  has mass cell tumours, he had an operation to remove two of them 3 months ago but now have spread to the lymph glands.

my vet is giving him presodine which makes him thirsty and hungry yet when he tries to eat he can only take in small amounts at a time.

his behaviour has changed some what to the point he seems depressed although he still does try to make an effort to play a little now and again.

he had two large lumps around the throat area and his breathing is extremely shallow and his stomach extremely swollen and tender. with lumps internally.

last night he came to bed with us which he has never done before as he knows not to come upstairs unless invited.   he lay on the bed just looking at us both as if to say something was wrong. 

do you think he meant something by this as it is totally out of character for him.   do you think its time to let him go as im worried he is now starting to suffer from it ?

kind regards michaela
Quote 0 0
Mac
Hi,

First, let me tell you how sorry I am to read of this situation - my family lost a beloved dog in November 2009 of what we believe was metastized cancer (spindle cell) which resulted in numerous and violent seizures - she passed away at home two days later.

I don't think anyone can be in a position to tell you what to do, but some things I would think about:
---how much of your dog's daily habits and activities have been affected?
---does your dog have the basis bodily functions (eating and drinking, being able to go to the bathroon)?
---evidence of pain?  Can the pain be controlled?

These are things I would consult with your vet on - try to understand the tradeoff between making your pet as comfortable as you can vs. his prognosis and level of suffering.  Understand what options you have, and at what cost to your pet.

I will be thinking of and praying for you...
Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
I'm so sorry to hear about Max's condition.  There is a health forum here if you think it might help to ask some specific health questions there.

We are going through the final stages of life with our 16 & 1/2 year old cat, T.J., who is the Heart of My Heart (I always tell him that).  It's so hard to know what to do from day to day.  In our case, I can feel T.J.'s will to live.  it's still strong, in spite of at least 2 seizures/strokes that can't be diagnosed and chronic renal failure.  I suspect he had another episode one last night when I wasn't in the room with him.  He is terribly weak and wobbly today. I've learned that the wobbliness doesn't go away.  It just gets worse with each event, but he continues to enjoy the little pleasures life has to offer.  He still has his appetite, and he still loves his cuddle times.

I know that when the time comes for both of our beloved best friends, we will know it.  We will see it in their eyes when they're ready to let go.  Until then, the best we can do is love them and protect them from harm.  Hold them close, take pictures, and give them all the TLC they need while they are here. My heart is breaking a little more each day, and I know yours is too. 

One thing you might want to consider is acupuncture to ease any discomfort.  I've heard of many cases in which it really did wonders for them.  It's not in our budget right now, but I'm thinking of starting up a fund to collect donations for T.J.'s care.  When the time comes that he doens't need care any more, I will donate any unused funds to a local Vet-related charity that covers free vaccination, spay and neuter clinics, and other vet care in depressed areas in our state. They are T.J.'s regular vet clinic, and they always need donations to carry on with their charitable work.

Get in all the hugs, ear scratches, tummy rubs and treats you can now.  And take pictures.  Even though this is such a sad time, you will be glad to have those pictures later on.  One last thought: T.J and I made his paw print impressions last Sunday.  I will finish the piece by painting it in his coat colors.  I am so glad to have his part of the work done now, while he's still with us and enjoying being pampered and coddled.  I used a medium called Delight (TM) Molding Medium.  It's unbreakable and very durable, and extremely easy to work with (non-toxic, too).

You and your sweet Max are in my thoughts and prayers.

My heart is battered and bruised, but I will not let it break. It holds such precious cargo, I must protect it now. (Susie Squillions)

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Quote 0 0
blenkay
Thank you Susie and Mac for for your kind words at such a difficult time.
mac -  Max has his good days and bad but still enjoys his daily walk although one leg tends to drag if we go to  far so we limit it now to his comfort zone. he still has control of his bodily functions although they are alot more frequent and he is constantly running in to let me know he needs to go out.
he is on steroids and anti hystimines which are keeping his pain at pain for the time being.  he has brightened up a little bit again since my post which i am so relieved as i really dont want to say goodbye just yet.  your words have helped me a great deal.

susie. - we are spoiling him as much as we can and he is getting away with so much as i want to enjoy every last minute with him however long that is.
it is a good idea to pictures etc as i would like to remember him as he is now befores he gets worse.

the slightest thing that seems to cause him distress causes me distress too.  it breaks my heart to seem him reduced to this. he has been and still is an amazing family pet.  my son has grown up with him.  (my son is 10 and max is 9 and we had him from a pup) and he will be greatly missed.  thank you for your kind words they mean a lot and it halps to know i am not alone in my thoughts.

as for further treatment, the vet has told us there is nothing more they can do as the op although they removed it all was too little too late as it had already spread to his lymph glands so all we can do is ensure he is comfortable.

i will pray for TJ too

kind regards michaela
Quote 0 0
blenkay

Sadly we had to have max put down on Wedsnesday evening.  The cancer had spread to his Spleen and he was starting to bleed internally.  God bless Max. Sleep well.  Love you always. You were the most Loving and loyall dog anyone could wish for, you will be greatly missed and will always be in our thoughts

kind regards michaela
Quote 0 0
nicokudo
Max's mom,

I am so very sorry to hear that you had to say good-bye to your precious boy.  His beautiful body is renewed and the cancer no longer hurts him.  He is happy and healthy and playing with all of our precious babies. 

Grieving is a bumpy journey, but your special boy will stay near you to help you through it. His love will protect you during the days that seem almost impossible to bear. 

May you find peace that he is not really gone...he has just walked on ahead of you in a journey that we will all make one day.

Karen

Karen,Kudo and Nico's mom
Earth mom to Marco and Bella
Quote 0 0
blenkay
Thank you Karen for your kind words.
i get peace from knowing he is no longer in pain but i miss him sooo much. 
kind regards michaela
Quote 0 0
PoohtsMom

I am so sorry to hear of your Max passing. Take comfort in knowing he is cancer free now and surrounded by the love you gave him. They remember the love. I know they do.

Quote 0 0