Doxiemom
My Bailey crossed the bridge two days ago. He was 16 and yes it was his time but I feel so sad that I could have noticed the extreme weight loss in the last few weeks and spared him some suffering. I miss his presence next to me. I would be grateful to hear from those who have recently had to help their babies cross over. I am absolutely traumatized by the entire experience .
Quote 0 0
Lana
Hi Doxiemom,

Sorry to hear of you loss of sweet Bailey.  Most of us here have just suffered terrible losses such as your own.  Zoey, my 16 year old Pappillon died of cancer about 4 weeks ago and yes, it was her time also.  I know what you mean about missing them next to you, missing them everywhere.

The bright side is that I still had Binx, 14 and one or her puppies from the only litter we let her have.  Well, I thought we doing just fine just the 2 of us and my husband when he was home (he travels during the week).  That is until one week ago today.  Out of the blue Binx started breathing heavy.  It would come and go, but something wasn't right.  I called my vet however, he closes on Wednesday at noon, who knew?  So I waited a little while and things go worse, so I took her as an emergency to a nearby vet where they put her on oxygen.  An x-ray showed fluid in her lungs so they gave her lasix and we crossed our fingers.  Binx died 30 minutes later.  The vet thinks a valve in her heart ruptured.

So, here we are on this forum, devastated and trying to make sense of it all.  Trying to somehow feel better.  You will find wonderful people here, some new to loss, some trying to still cope with older losses that still feel new.  My take away from most is that time will help.

Good luck to you my friend, we understand how you feel.

Quote 0 0
Mazz
Hey love I feel your pain my baby girl smokey was put to sleep just yesterday and I’m struggling to cope without her :( she got poorly very fast and it’s so sudden that she’s one day here and the next not , she was in a lot of pain with her liver so it was best for her but I’m struggling to come to terms with it so I totally understand where your coming from sending lots of love xx Mazz and smokey xxx
Quote 0 0
Doxiemom
Thank you both for your concern. I miss him more than I can say!
Please accept my condolences on the loss of your babies. We are all together here in spirit. Your stories are familiar but also different. Bailey was pretty good until very recently . I didn’t notice the weight loss until last week when he had a seizure . By Sunday night he had stopped eating completely. I am devastated , my best friend for sixteen years !
Quote 0 0
pannklaus
Our sweet baby Lenny cat crossed the bridge several months ago at age almost 16, He had a long period of recurring illness followed by periods of good health made possible by  medication. Then the meds stopped working.  It was almost certainly cancer which is the usual eventual outcome for his disease.  We and our very sensitive vet ended his suffering and he peacefully went to sleep.  My initial feeling was relief that he was no longer suffering.  Then came the terrible grief which  everyone here writes so much about.  Everything seemed empty and hopeless, there were reminders everywhere and nothing could make the grief go away. The support of the many kind people here was helpful but we are still going through the grieving process. I can function on a daily basis and there has been improvement from those first terrible days but there will always be a missing hole in my heart for Lenny.

I am sorry for the loss of your precious Bailey and understand what you are going through.  You can stay in this forum as long as you like and write whatever you feel.  We can't make the grief go away but we can go through the grieving process with you.
Patsy
Quote 0 0
Doxiemom
Thank you and please accept my condolences on the passing of Lenny. I can understand completely how you felt directly afterwards . I walked out into the parking lot with my daughter and son in law and I started shrieking . I couldn’t stop. I am calmer today but it’s only the fourth day. It’s only today that I am able to straighten out my house and wash his blanket . I still expect to see him in his usual spots , my cat Charlotte has been more attentive than usual. Thank you and I will keep in touch with all of you here.
Quote 0 0
Doxiemom
Mazz your cat was so very beautiful. I know how much you miss her. Lana I don’t know how you survived one tragedy after another. My heart goes out to both of you,
Quote 0 0
connerc

As for the weight loss, the vet said that's a sign. Tiffany had a good appetite, yet in the last 7 weeks, she lost a lot of weight. Being with her all the time, you don't notice it right away.
Quote 0 0
Doxiemom
connerc wrote:

As for the weight loss, the vet said that's a sign. Tiffany had a good appetite, yet in the last 7 weeks, she lost a lot of weight. Being with her all the time, you don't notice it right away.
Quote 0 0
Doxiemom
Connerc this is exactly what happened with my boy. He ate well until a few days before he crossed but had been losing weight for some time, actually 2 pounds in two months which is a lot for a pup who never weighed more than 11 pounds over the course of his life.
Quote 0 0
I_Will_Love_You_Forever
Doxiemom wrote:
My Bailey crossed the bridge two days ago. He was 16 and yes it was his time but I feel so sad that I could have noticed the extreme weight loss in the last few weeks and spared him some suffering. I miss his presence next to me. I would be grateful to hear from those who have recently had to help their babies cross over. I am absolutely traumatized by the entire experience .

Hi Doxiemom,

I am reading now about Bailey. I'm sorry for your loss.  Do you know what happened to Bailey?  He must have been a mini, I read you said he didn't weigh more than 11 lbs.  I had a dapple who lived till 16. He was a little bigger than a mini, he was 15 lbs.  He had diabetes before he passed.
My recent loss was different. He was very young, 6. It wasn't an illness. This one is hard for me to accept.  

I wish you peace and comfort.
Parker's Mom
Quote 0 0
Josephine
Sorry for your loss, it’s the hardest pain I ever had loosing my Sandy over month now. She was just over 7yrs. 😢So I understand you pain. Think of your good time and things you did. I found it hard and upsetting but it helps. 💜
Quote 0 0
Canotgrieve
The pictures of your babies are adorable. Such precious ones. It is so heart breaking. My Christopher was 16 but his loss was sudden. That day was the hardest thing we had to do. I feel for you and your pain. It is devastating. Give yourself permission to grieve. In time it will get easier. But you never stop missing them. My precious Christopher crossed over almost 6 months ago. It still hurts. We all know what you are going through.
Quote 0 0
Living_with_tragedy
Hi Karen - Doxiemom,

Charlie may be sensing the loss and over time it may be confusing. I see it in my 2 dogs. I am sure they wonder what happened and why is it different.  My Beagle, Leroy is taking it harder. They were best friends from the start. In my posts you can read about when I first got them and how they bonded. I wrote it a little over 2 weeks ago.  I was asking my dog or someone above to send me a sign he was here or around. I read about signs. It took a while, but I think he's been here in a form of a Cardinal or the Cardinal was here sending his message. You'll see it in my posts. Maybe something like this could happen for you if you ask for it and keep and open mind. 

Yes, the heat is unbearable.  Did you get your house up for sale?  Where in Jersey would you be going? I feel the same way about the memories in my house. Yes, I know how hard it is. I struggle because he should be here. I still deal with guilt. 

Keep in touch,
~ Parker's Mom

Quote 0 0