Starsmom_0204
Hello Everyone

Today was the hardest day for us. Our beautiful girl star only 8 years old, had to be put to rest due to mammary gland cancer....inflammatory carcinoma is what they told us. From what I researched, it is the most aggressive malignant tumor to be had.

After returning from vacation back in August, we noticed a lump the size of a walnut. Considering she had just undergone a full physical 2 weeks erlier, we were unsure of what it was, so we made an appointment with our vet. 4 days later, the day of our appointment, the lump was now the size of a lemon. Our vet wasn't hopeful that it was anything but cancer so the biopsy was performed, got the results on Monday and star was seen by the surgeon, and had her surgery 2 days later. The surgeon told us she made the margins as wide as she could, deep/lateral tissue looked good. We were thrilled and hoped this was the last of the cancer. Several days later, the surgeon calls to tell us there is evidence the cancer infiltrated stars lymphatic system and chemo was strongly suggested. We decided that since the chemo would only prolong the inevitable, the fact that they told us the chemo could damage her heart and given the aggressive form of cancer, we would keep star happy and comfortable and not go the route of chemo. We were told we had about 2 weeks left with her.

Fast forward two months, star was still eating, drinking etc. We found 3 additional lumps and after consulting with our vet, we put her on anti inflammatory meds and would continue to monitor her. She never gave up and was such a fighter. It was only the past two days she began to have problems going up and down the stairs, wasn't as playful, and her stomach began to weep from the inflammation of the tumors. We made arrangements to have her put to sleep so our girl would not suffer. Last night would be our last night together and as i lay next to her, she crawled up next to me and began licking my face. I knew then I was doing the right thing for her and she was telling me it was ok. At 830 this morning, our beautiful girl passed peacefully in our arms. I am heartbroken and miss her so much already. I know it's only the first night, but I am sick over her loss.

I know in time, my own time, it will get easier I have a very supportive family and great friends...but all I really want is my beautiful girl here. Thank you for taking the time to read our story. I am hoping by talking about it, it will help ease the pain over the loss of our beautiful girl.

RIP my precious Star
Quote 0 0
MurphysMom_0831
Star's Mom,

I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl Star. She's such a pretty girl, and I'm sure my Golden Retriever, Murphy, was waiting to welcome her to the Rainbow Bridge this morning. He has been there since June 18, the saddest day of my life. You have come to the right place. We all understand the heart wrenching pain you're going through and how incredibly difficult it is to make that dreaded decision. I still want nothing more than Murphy 4-1/2 months later. I write to him here every night and it does help somewhat. The pain hasn't gone away but it's changed somehow.

Know that your sweet girl Is free to run and surrounded by the love of all the furbabies who have gone before her, just waiting for the day you join here for eternity. Again, I am so sorry for her loss.

Blessings,
Murphy's Mom (Kathryn)
"Sometimes there is a dog who is so special, he is able to wrap himself so completely around your heart it is impossible to tell where you begin and he ends."  For My Beloved Murphy, 08/31/2004 - 06/18/2014

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MURPH121/Resident.htm

http://s327.photobucket.com/user/kathrynbrown1626/library/?sort=6&page=1
Quote 0 0
hinhan0748
Starsmom_0204 wrote:
Hello Everyone Today was the hardest day for us. Our beautiful girl star only 8 years old, had to be put to rest due to mammary gland cancer....inflammatory carcinoma is what they told us. From what I researched, it is the most aggressive malignant tumor to be had. After returning from vacation back in August, we noticed a lump the size of a walnut. Considering she had just undergone a full physical 2 weeks erlier, we were unsure of what it was, so we made an appointment with our vet. 4 days later, the day of our appointment, the lump was now the size of a lemon. Our vet wasn't hopeful that it was anything but cancer so the biopsy was performed, got the results on Monday and star was seen by the surgeon, and had her surgery 2 days later. The surgeon told us she made the margins as wide as she could, deep/lateral tissue looked good. We were thrilled and hoped this was the last of the cancer. Several days later, the surgeon calls to tell us there is evidence the cancer infiltrated stars lymphatic system and chemo was strongly suggested. We decided that since the chemo would only prolong the inevitable, the fact that they told us the chemo could damage her heart and given the aggressive form of cancer, we would keep star happy and comfortable and not go the route of chemo. We were told we had about 2 weeks left with her. Fast forward two months, star was still eating, drinking etc. We found 3 additional lumps and after consulting with our vet, we put her on anti inflammatory meds and would continue to monitor her. She never gave up and was such a fighter. It was only the past two days she began to have problems going up and down the stairs, wasn't as playful, and her stomach began to weep from the inflammation of the tumors. We made arrangements to have her put to sleep so our girl would not suffer. Last night would be our last night together and as i lay next to her, she crawled up next to me and began licking my face. I knew then I was doing the right thing for her and she was telling me it was ok. At 830 this morning, our beautiful girl passed peacefully in our arms. I am heartbroken and miss her so much already. I know it's only the first night, but I am sick over her loss. I know in time, my own time, it will get easier I have a very supportive family and great friends...but all I really want is my beautiful girl here. Thank you for taking the time to read our story. I am hoping by talking about it, it will help ease the pain over the loss of our beautiful girl.

I was so sorry to hear of your loss. I understand because yesterday I lost my Shunka. He was 11 years old and so healthy. He was funny, quirky and a giant in a tiny body. We found a lump about two months ago but it appeared to be a hematoma. The vet drained it and all was well, or so we thought. Three weeks ago the lump returned and grew so quickly and aggressively that there was nothing we could do. It was inoperable. We made the most of our last two weeks, going on hikes (him in a stroller I bought as it was hard for him to walk), drives (he loved to drive the car...sitting in the driver's seat) and just hugging him and telling him what he has meant to me. Yesterday we went to the park early in the morning, climbed the monkeybars and watched the ducks on the lake. I told God that Shunka was  a light in this world and that I knew he would light up the next world too. At 9:55 AM my little guy passed from my arms to God's. I believe that each day I will begin to remember more of the wonderful times we had and the pain will become less. I believe that someday my house and my heart will not feel quite so empty. I believe that you too will begin to heal and will move from deep sorrow to incredible joy that this wonderous little creature was entrusted to your care. Your little girl is undoubtedly playing with my little boy over the bridge. They will be there waiting patiently for us. I believe.

Shunka's Mom

Quote 0 0
MattiesMom10
Star's Mom,
So sorry for your loss :( As I know how hard it is. Star is over the Rainbow Bridge making all kinds of new friends. Running, playing and doing what she enjoys. Will keep you in my prayers as I do a lot of fur parents.
Have a blessed day
God Bless
MattiesMom
Forever a paw print on my heart
Susan Turner
Quote 0 0