samj530

On Friday 8/20 I lost my little baby Dahlia. My husband & I can't have children, so we have our Maggie (yellow Lab, 3 yrs), Lucky (Vizsla, 1 yr) & Dahlia (APBT, 10 wks). I had to work that day from 8am-Noon. I didn't want her to get in trouble while I was gone, so I put her in the outdoor kennel with toys, some food to snack on, a big fresh water bowl, plenty of shade & a blanket to lay on. I got home by 1pm, it was about 80F degrees. She was used to being outside with the other dogs, so I didn't think anything about it. I got home, let her out of the kennel, she went potty then followed me to the patio. I washed out the big water bucket & refilled for the dogs. She got a drink then went out to play with the big dogs. About 10 minutes later she came in & whined to be put on my lap. She seemed tired, so I let her take a nap on my lap. About 30 minutes later, she seemed warm, like she had a fever. I took her temp. It was 103.7. I know that some dogs have a normal temp of 102.5, so I wasn't too worried. I gave her 1/4 baby aspirin & cooled her down with a wet washcloth. My husband got home a few minutes later. I explained what was going on. He went to pick her up & she was drooling (she never does) and her eyes wouldn't focus on him. He gave her to me & called the vet. At this point I was frantic! We took off to the vet & arrived in less than 10 minutes. They took her in immediately. When they laid her on the table she basically collapsed. Her temp was up to 106! They rushed her back to a cold water bath. The vet came back about 30 min later to tell me to go home. She would have to stay at least overnight. Basically there was nothing else they could do until the blood work came back. We went home. 2 hours later the vet called. After the bath she had perked up, but crashed soon after. There was nothing they could do for her. She was cyrying out in pain & her pupils were pinpoints. She couldn't be touched, because she was in so much pain. They asked to euthanize her immediately, they didn't even want to wait to let me see her or be with her when they did it. I broke down, but gave my permission, then rushed to the vet's. The vet talked to me when I arrived & explained they didn't know why that it had happened, all tests were normal or negative. So I took her home to bury her. By this point I was inconsolable. My baby died & I couldn't do anything for her. She was in terrible pain. She just a little baby! How could this happen? I don't know how to deal with her loss. I can't seem to quit crying. I feel like I failed her. If I had given her a cold water bath at home, could I have saved her? Is there anything else I could have done different that could have made a difference? Her welfare was in my hands & I failed.

Quote 0 0
nicokudo
I am so sorry that this happened to your precious baby girl Dahlia.  She is you little angel now and will be with you always.

Thinking of you and the rest of your family.

Karen
Karen,Kudo and Nico's mom
Earth mom to Marco and Bella
Quote 0 0
harvey
Dahlia is precious! I am sorry for your loss and can only imagine the pain. I wish I could say why .... but we don't have the answers for these situations. Just know your baby knows you love her! They know. She is fine in Heaven. 
Quote 0 0
tikibarb
What a beautiful baby.  I am so sorry you are in such pain.  We all have regrets and tend to play the "what if" game.  I feel confident that your beloved Dahlia would not want you to blame yourself.  Our beloved furbabies want nothing more than to make us happy, not sad.  You gave Dahlia good care I know you would have done anything else necessary to keep her safe had you known something was wrong.  We just don't know why these things happen.  Please visit Ted's site.  You may find some comfort there.
Barbara Lyngarkos
My Beloved Ted 8/7/2005 - 7/7/10
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/TED001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
samj530
Thank you for the support. I really loved Dahlia. She was something special. The minute I saw her I KNEW I had to have her. My husband didn't want another puppy, much less a Pit Bull. By the first night, he was hooked. Tonight I caught him crying in the shower. It is so hard to see a man cry.

tikibarb, You have a baby named Dahlia, too? Ted's site is beautiful, I bet you miss him dearly.
Quote 0 0
dde9227782

Samj I  am so sorry to hear about your loss easpecially hearing that she was still a puppy.  I don't understand why the vet would push to ethuanize her when all of the blood work came back negative.  Did they at least have a huntch of what could've been the problem, other than heatstroke (although she wasn't outside that long or in excessive heat). Also it's messed up that they couldnt wait for you and your husband to come and say goodbye.  I know that what if's and maybe if can't help you right now.  However, you have a right to advocate for Dahlia and voice your opinion about how you were treated.  I think that this (not being able to say goodbye) is what hurts you the most. I wish you and your family all the best.  Sept 8 will be 3 months that my baby is gone.  I can't believe its 3 months already.

Quote 0 0
judylinn

I am soooo sorry for the loss of your baby. how awful and at her baby age. my love and prayers are with you.

Quote 0 0
samj530
Darlene, I'm sorry for the loss of your own baby. I'm sure that every day of the last 3 months have been very tough for you.

I am starting to question the treatment.  Could they have given a painkiller to see if she could pull through? The vet said she was behaving strangely, like she had a neurological problem. I will never know now, but it happened so quickly & I didn't want her to suffer. She was only 10 weeks old...

Quote 0 0
tikibarb
Yes, Dahlia was adopted by my 20 year old son about 8 weeks before Ted died.  She has been a real comfort.  He is expecting to move out at some point and wanted a companion of his own.  

We can't second guess our decisions.  We do the best we can with the information we have at the time.  It is natural to question the decisions we made and the decisions of others at these times. Maybe you would feel better if you took her records to another Vet and got an opinion.  I hope you feel better.  My thoughts are with you.
Barbara Lyngarkos
Quote 0 0
samj530
Every day it has gotten easy to think about my little Dahlia without crying. My beautiful & wise sister in law reminded me that God sometimes needs some of His furry creations to come home earlier than expected. My faith has really been a comfort these last couple of weeks.

Thank you all for posting your support when I needed it so much!

I would also like to tell you all about a wonderful addition to our family this week. In memory of Dahlia, her breeder allowed us to adopt Camellia her little sister! They have very different personalities, but having a warm needy puppy to snuggle with has really helped.

Again, thank you all & God Bless!
Quote 0 0
judylinn

Im so happy for you. Camellia, what a wonderful name!

Quote 0 0
Shadowslove

Samj, thank you for piosting that comment about God bringing home some of the furry little ones earlier than expected.  I have been struggling with why my sweet innocent baby was taken from me; we'd only had her one month to the day and she was only 14 weeks old, sweetest little girl I'd ever had the pleasure to call mine.  Thinking that maybe God needed her to be held by a little kid or something in heaven makes me think maybe she's happier up in heaven and maybe God knew how unbelievably sweet and affectionate she was that he could use her spirit to help.  Thank you for putting this thought in my head.  I pray that this continues to get less painful for you.  God bless.

Quote 0 0
samj530
Shadows- I'm so sorry to hear about your little baby. I think it is very hard losing one so young because we are left wondering why they weren't able to have a chance at life before they were taken from is. My  sister in law is the sweetest, kindest woman I have ever met. She has a faith that is unshakable in the face of any hardship. Thankfully she has helped me deal with our grief over our loss of Dahlia. Remember that God loves you & is watching over your baby right now! God Bless!  
Quote 0 0
nicokudo
So happy to hear that you are doing a bit better.  Congratulations.  And on top of it it's Dahlia's sister.  Could be a sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinking of you.

Karen

Karen,Kudo and Nico's mom
Earth mom to Marco and Bella
Quote 0 0
tikibarb
Congratulations on your new baby.  I am sure that Dahlia is looking down and smiling that her sister was so lucky to have you for a mom.  It is very healing to have that needy little mop to hug isn't it?  I am happy that things are getting better for you.  Sometimes we just don't have the answers and faith is what we have to fall back on.
Barbara Lyngarkos
Quote 0 0