mpc
Hi,
My beautiful angel baby Daisy passed away on April 22--one week ago today. My heart is broken. Here's my story. I've had pets all of my life, but Daisy was "the dog." The one that stole my heart forever, and I told her so. We got Daisy for my (now 18 year old) daughter when she was in 2nd grade. Daisy was mine, though. Actually, I was Daisy's . . . that's an even truer statement. She chose me. She never ever left my side. She was a Cockalier (Cocker and King Charles). Her fur was so soft. She was the kindest, most loyal angel. She had congestive heart failure (CHF) and had been on Vetmedin and Enalapril since January 2019. She was doing really well, but chased a squirrel the first week of March. Only chased it for about 10 seconds and fell. She had had a really bad night the night before. It was the first and last time she had coughed a lot all night long and couldn't get comfortable. She and i didn't sleep. On the couch together, but no sleep. Then she got a burst of energy first thing in the morning when I took her out in our yard to go to the bathroom. Chased that squirrel, and collapsed before my eyes, and I thought she was dying. My husband drove and I held her while I cried and told her that Grandma (me) loved her, and would love her forever, and more. I was thinking this was it. Well, my Daisy was put in the oxygen cage for around five hours, and I picked her up later that night. The next day, we saw a cardiologist who pretty much confirmed she had chf. He gave her 9 months - two years. i thought no way two years! I knew she'd been through a lot in just the last year, but she was good. Another pill--diuretic. Well, this kept her alive and happy. She was doing really well. She ate the chicken I made her. I still took her on short walks. She was loved and she knew it. Her tail wagged. Fast-forward to last Tuesday, early evening. She started breathing weird. She was lying down, and I could see her chest going in and out--like never before. i recorded her and asked my cousin if this was "it," or if this was how her dog had been towards the end (meaning when she started getting worse, but still had time). She had lost a dog to chf. My cousin said that her dog was like that towards the end, too, but that as long as Daisy was still eating, going to the bathroom, etc., she still had life, and that I should call the vet in the morning. Well, Daisy couldn't get comfortable that night. I tried the couch, her bed, the floor . . Finally, she started to cough. It was 1:15 in the morning. My husband drove,  and I held her. But i didn't think this was it this time. i didn't say goodbye. I talked with her and kissed her, but I didn't say goodbye. I handed her over to the tech and just after doing so, the door shut in my face, and I read the signs on the door--saying that unless it was a critical situation or euthanasia, pet owners couldn't come in (due to Covid). So the vet calls me (my husband and I were right outside the doors) around 25 minutes later to tell me that Daisy was resting in the oxygen cage. She said she was at 90 percent oxygen, and she needed to be at 95, 98. I asked if this was it, and she said that she had seen many worse cases. She told me let's see how she responds to the oxygen. She asked me to bring Daisy's meds in the morning. I got so happy! I told my husband. So we both figured, Ok, oxygen cage, and we'll pick her up in the morning. FF one hour later when we had paid and were just driving off. The receptionist came running out and said that the vet needed to talk with me. I told her Ok, let me get my phone. And she said, NO! You need to come inside and he should too. We ran to the door crying thinking Daisy was dying, but it was worse. Daisy had died. They were doing CPR. Daisy didn't make it. I didn't get to be with my angel during that one hour when she was fighting for her life. She died alone in the oxygen cage. She had a heart attack. What hurts the most (of course-along with her being gone) is that I was not given the option to hold her and say goodbye OR to even choose to euthanize. I pray she didn't suffer. We were told it was very quick. I asked for the medical records yesterday--and then read them. My angel was not at 90 percent oxygen. She was at 89 percent (considered life threatening!), AND had a "weak pulse." So my question is why weren't my husband and I offered the opportunity to say goodbye. How was this not considered critical? My angel was 11 1/2 years old. RIP sweet baby. Grandma is so terribly sorry you died alone. It was the one thing I didn't want. I will love you and and miss you forever, but you will ALWAYS be in my heart. We all do what we think is right, and in the end, sometimes things just happen--out of our control. Will never ever be forgotten. RIP my sweet angel. Thank you for all the unconditional love you gave me--every day you were alive. I love you.
Daisy 042020.jpg 
Mary
Quote 0 0
Monroegirl
I'm so sorry for the loss of your Daisy; she is precious! You're right about us doing all that we can do and some things being out of our control. She knew how much she was loved. (((Hugs)))
Quote 0 0
mpc
Hi Monnie's momma. Thank you so much. I'm going to read about your baby now, too. I'm sorry for your loss.
Mary
Quote 0 0
mpc
Thank you, Andrea. Hugs.
Mary
Quote 0 0