meginG
I lost my angel, Stella, on the first of this month. She was only three, she had perfect health, a loving family, lots of friends. It wasn’t her time, nothing prepared me for her death. It was sudden, it was unfair, and it hurt.
She was an inside kitty, she was small, dainty, she couldn’t survive outside. One night I was staying at my boyfriends, I came home the next night and I was told to go to the bathroom and see Stella. Nothing prepared me for what I was going to see. What I saw was my precious, beautiful, healthy cat broken. She was beat up, traumatized. She had gotten outside, I thought maybe one of the dogs chased her and she was traumatized. She jumped off the bathroom counter, and fell. She fell on her face and ran to find a place to hide. At the time, her injuries weren’t known, it was 11 at night. I didn’t know what to do, I talked to her she seemed like she needed the night to recover. My family said she just needed to lick her wounds and she would be more active in the morning. Everyone was wrong. The next morning, she was not better. She hadn’t eaten anything, hasn’t drank any water. She was in pain, I was at work. I didn’t know anything, until my mom called at 10 and said she needed medical attention. The emergency vet refused to see her, so I watched her overnight, praying she could just make it till the morning for me. Begging her to drink water, begging god to give me the chance to get her help. I just knew if I could get her to the vet she would be alright.
I woke up in the morning and found maggots on her, she wasn’t covered in urine and feces. She was uncomfortable, but she was fighting. She wanted to live, she wasn’t ready. I got her to the vet that morning, they put her on a feeding tube, an iv, gave her hydrotherapy, shaved her and they were going to keep her overnight. They said that after she got rest, I could pick her up in the morning and it would be alright.
I got a call at 7 45 that morning saying she didn’t make it. Her wounds were not from a dog, but from an opossum. They were deep wounds, and there was on on her butt that was very deep and got infected. The infection got into her bloodstream and she passed away that morning.
The vet did everything they could do, but did I? I feel so guilty about everything, all I feel is guilt. If I had been home the door would have stayed shut and she would have been safe, if I had gotten her to the vet sooner she would still be alive. I didn’t get to say goodbye. I had to leave to go to work before they took her to the back to get looked on, I got off after the kennels closed so I couldn’t go see her.
The last thing I said to her was “I love you, I’ll see you later angel.” I told her it would be okay, and it wasn’t. My last memory of her at home is her covered in maggots in my bed and me trying to get her to drink water. I hate that this happened, I hate she had to go like that. She wasn’t ready, I wasn’t ready. She had so much life, she was good. She was the sweetest soul I’ve ever met, I loved her more than I can ever express and I wish I could change it but I can’t. I would give anything to see her one last time, to tell her how much I love her, but she knows. I know she knows, and I hope one day we can be together again.
Megin and Stella against the world. 💕
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Megan I’m soo sorry! What happened was not your fault. Living in a multi family home with a beloved pet is everyone’s responsibility to be responsible when they are at home so please don’t blame yourself. You tried to get her to a ER Vet and I can’t think of a reason they wouldn’t see her but you had no choice but to wait until morning. For maggots to be visual I wonder if she gotten out days before you saw them. I’m so glad the Vet did what he could to give her a fighting chance. Once septicemia happens it’s very hard to recover.
Megan I know she knows you love her. You are her Mommy and she’s your lil angel who will ever be close to you with her sweet little Stella spirit. Her last memory of you in life here was of you lovingly caring for her and comforting her. I’m sorry this hurts so much I understand how your heart feels shattered and the memories of finding her in the bathroom up to the call from the Vet are the most pain you’ve endured. You are surrounded by understanding people here who will share in your pain and not let you feel so alone,,,,,
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0