Author   Comment  
Lucys20Mom

Reply with quote  #1 
My 20 year old cat Lucy has cancer.
it is at the end, i have to do something to end her pain, not sure i can do it,
need guidance
Baileys_mum_01

Reply with quote  #2 
I feel your pain.  Saying goodbye is the hardest thing we have to do.  There is a poem called the last battle, I read it every day.   It has me in tears but helps me realise I did the kindest thing for my beloved Bailey.  I let him go because I loved him so much and knew he was in pain.  I remember him whilst he was still eating, drinking, wagging his tail and enjoying walks.  He slowed down alot towards the end and was very tired.  Even though it was so hard to let go, I feel I did it at the right time for him, before he suffered anymore pain.  No one can make that decision for you.  I remember my friend (who lost her baby a few months ago) telling me you know in your heart when the time is right. No matter how much guilt I feel I know deep inside it was the right time for Bailey.  He was surrounded by the people who loved him and I am so grateful that we got to be with him. It is so hard to say goodbye to someone who has been a huge part of your life for so many years.  We never forget them and the love we have for them never dies.  I will pray for you and your baby.  Please come back here.  Everyone is so supportive and they understand how we feel.  I love and miss him every moment of every day but I know he is at peace.

You are in my thoughts.

Bailey's mum

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BAILE344/Resident.htm
Lucys20Mom

Reply with quote  #3 
Diana,

thanks so much for your thoughts,  i have made an appointment for tomorrow at 12:15............
She was not breathing very easily this morning (the cancer is in her mouth and therefore her right side of face is getting larger by the day) so that has sort of pushed me.   she of course is still purring whenever I pat her, poor thing, but is stuffed under a bed today so i am assuming she is trying to hide.

my husband and i will be with her and it is after vets hours so there is no one in the waiting room.
I will look up the poem.

thanks
Susan
Baileys_mum_01

Reply with quote  #4 
Susan,
I will be thinking of you tomorrow.  Cherish this last day.  I took lots of pictures and Bailey had lots of extra walks during the last few days before we said goodbye.  My son stayed up all night with him that last night.  I slept for a few hours because I was exhausted.  We found out he was very sick on the Monday and said goodbye on the Saturday.  My boys came home from university for a few days in between exams.  They were with me when we said goodbye.  I am glad you will have someone with you.  I know how hard it is to decide when the time is right to let them go.  It is the kindest thing we do for them and we do it out of our love for them.  This place has been a tremendous comfort and support for me.  There are alot of people here who understand.  My boys have gone back and the house is so empty.  If you want to talk afterwards I am here for you.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Diana x

Bailey's mum

Lucys20Mom

Reply with quote  #5 
i just spent the last hour digging a hole in the lilacs for Lucy.
she hasn't been out from under the bed all day so i guess she is not feeling good
getting to the appointment tomorrow is not going to be easy.
please lord, just take her tonight so i don't have to do this!
Baileys_mum_01

Reply with quote  #6 
You and Lucy are in my thoughts especially today.  Please don't feel you are alone.  We are all here for you.  It is the hardest thing you have to do but you do it out of the love you have for them.  Treasure  your memories, you had twenty amazing and wonderful years together.  She will always be with you in your heart.

I will say a prayer for you.

Bailey's mum

livcyxingfoe

Reply with quote  #7 
i just spent the last hour digging Aion Gold a hole in the lilacs for Lucy.

Reply with quote  #8 
I lost my cat to cancer on November 21st. She died on the way to the vet's office in my car. She had good blood work the week before, but started to go downhill after the visit to the vet.  By Wednesday, I held her in my arms for an hour as she was having labored breathing.  I think I was in denial.  I thought this was just a flu or something.  By Thursday morning, she was just lethargic on the kitchen floor. I went to work, hoping that she would be alive when I got home.  Then I would take her to the vet at 5 pm. Well when I got home, she was laying on the bathroom floor, still breathing.  I put her into the carrier, and she was very weak, but I didn't know what else to do.  About halfway on the way to the vet, I knew she was gone.  When I got to the vet, he opened the carrier and I was in tears because I knew she had passed.  The vet checked her out and said, "she's gone, Deb." Since then I have been angry at myself for not taking her in earlier that day to shorten her suffering.  I did not know what she went through while I was at work and I think she waited for me to come home to say "good bye."   The vet said she had a tumor in her right kidney, which probably metastasized quickly.  She had no symptoms except drinking a lot of water. So I would tell you that if you can, don't let your pet suffer. Take them in early if you know he/she is terminal. The journey of grief is inevitable. My heart feels like it's been torn out. I don't know if I'll ever be the same. But I am very thankful for the memories and the fact that she had very few illnesses over the fourteen years until now.  My last can lasted 17 years, and I thought Jody would have a few years left. But it didn't happen. I will try to navigate through the grief by joining a support group next week.  Maybe you can find a pet loss support group in your area to ease the pain.  Don't get a new pet until you are absolutely ready. Take care, and I will keep you in my prayers.

Attached Images
jpeg 381A0006_(1).jpg (160.19 KB, 4 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.