tdmurph
I lost my springer spaniel Murphy of 11 years on Memorial day.  He has been sick for about two months.  He got sick about 2 weeks after I had him in for his yearly, which was all good.   We took a picture of him on his last day alive with the kids, knowing he was coming to the end soon.  I am having a hard time thinking I should have done more.  We went to the vet a few times after his sickness but the medicine did not seem to help.  I have a hard time coming home after work because he would always be waiting on the deck to see me pull up in my truck to grab the mail.  I look out in the back yard hoping to see a quick glimpse of him knowing he is in a better place.  This is my first time ever posting to anything, I do not even do facebook (if I do not make sense).  He loved to go for rides and go hunting.  I am trying to remember the good times.  He would following me everywhere when I was home.  He was an awesome dog and my family says I should start with another dog, but it do not feel the same way, at least not yet.  It seems so hard to have the same love for a new dog without thinking of him, plus going through the training again.  Murphy had full reign of the house with a dog door so he could be outside or in.  I know he loved us to.
Quote 0 0
Moxie
I am so sorry to hear this and I understand when you say you are having a hard time thinking you should have done more. I lost my Golden yesterday and think the same thing. I should have done more. Have spent a lot of time beating myself up. I am doing the same things that you are. It was hard coming home today and not hearing that tail thumping when I came in or having him follow me from room to room. I only hope my feelings of not doing enough will lessen. It is so very painful right now. 
Quote 0 0
ebbsmom
I'm sure Murphy loved you immensely-- I know Ebby did.  I also know that my decisions and what I tried to do to save her were the right thing to do.  But missing them is something else entirely.  My thoughts are with you.
Love you to the moon and back....
Quote 0 0
tdmurph
I am sorry for your loss also.  It is good that you will have her ashes.  I did not have the guts to take my dog in after it died at home.  I called my Dad Tuesday morning and all I could say is "Murphy's died".  I could not say anything else so I hung up.  He called back in a few minutes and talked to my wife, later he came over to take my dog in.  He is my other great hunting partner at 70 years old, and had a lot of respect for Murphy.  Murphy use to lay his head up on the center console in between us as we went on our trips.
Quote 0 0
tdmurph
It is coming up on a week now without Murphy.  It does not seem like it is any better.  The times I am away from my house, like work or kids softball, I seem to forget but then I see other dogs out for walks or at the softball field I feel bad.  The worst is coming home and being at home (he was always waiting on the deck looking for me to come home).  I try not letting my kids know that I am still sad.  I keep looking out in the back yard and park to hopefully just see a glimpse of him for a few moments that he is in a better place.  I wish everyone on this site to see the glimpse of there pet, we all seem to need it.
Quote 0 0
loveourdaisy
I had three Springers and after each one it was very hard.
I heard them moving around downstairs for quite some time.
And I did catch a glimpse of Daisy about six weeks after.

You and Murphy have a special bond. That is why you feel the way you do.
I learned that we make an agreement with each other when we have this 
kind of bond about how we will physically part one day.
But only physically.
Everything you did for him was exactly right.
His energy is always with you when you need him . . . forever. . .

Quote 0 0
tdmurph
I am posting for my dog, Murphy that I cannot get over the times we had together.  I will never forget you.  I read a lot of post where people have been going for a long, long time without there pet.  Is there anyone that got a new pet, helps?  My family wants a new dog but I do not know if I could ever love them as the same as Murphy.  I brought up Murphy with a 3 year old, now I have a 13 and 9 year old girls which have a lot of activities.  I would feel like I am not able to give a new dog the time as I did Murphy.  They said they would help, but I know how the puppy love for kids can go away quickly.  I understand that they know Murphy was basically my dog (I fed him, walked him took him hunting with me and my father).
Quote 0 0
tdmurph
murphy.jpg 
Quote 0 0
tdmurph
Here is the last picture of Murphy, 1 day before he died with my kids.  We had a feeling this was his last day, he was not eating, still drinking some water.  I hope to see you again because I miss you so much.  The days that have passed by have been getting better, but coming home and not seeing you waiting has been really hard.  It is hard reading all these stories of so many people so lost without our pets.  I hope some day we will all get to see our so much loved animals.
Quote 0 0
Kristy
I just recently had to go thru same with my almost 15 year old. Mine had been gradually decreasing for awhile. Each time he would get better but it was never like he was b4. U did all u could. It's not fair to them. Just remember they are better now. Trust me it hurts us though.
Quote 0 0