MB
Over a month ago, I posted about losing my almost 15 year old cat Little Bit to cancer. What I haven't been ready to post about yet was that a few days later, I was browsing Pet Finder, and fell in love with a kitten.  I just knew that she was supposed to be with me.  I put in an application and went to pick up Daisy, when I got to the shelter, they brought her up to me and I found out she was only 5 1/2 weeks old.  I had warning bells go off in my head, but they assured me that she was weaned.  I brought her home and we really bonded.  She helped me so much in those few days to heal from losing Little Bit.  Unfortunately I woke up on the 4th day and she had vomited and wouldn't eat.  By the time I got her to the vet, she was having seizures and her body temp was too low.  We had to euthanize her just one week after Little Bit.  I can't begin to describe what that day was like.  As hard as it was to say goodbye to Little Bit, we got a year after the diagnosis and I can take comfort in knowing that I didn't let her suffer.  I wouldn't wish watching a sweet kitten suffer from seizures on my worst enemy.  I still have nightmares sometimes.

Daisy:

Daisy.JPG 
My vet told me that she was too small to be weaned.  I was so upset with the shelter, I felt like they could have waited another week or two and it might not have happened.  I was so mad at myself as well.  I wish I had known then to try syrup to get her blood sugar up.

As sad as I still am over Little Bit and Daisy, I ended up adopting Lucy from that same shelter later that week.  I had seen her before I fell in love with Daisy, and I just kept thinking about her and knew I couldn't leave her there.  She was 9 weeks when I adopted her and then a few days later I got her a friend - Gracie.  After losing two so close together, I really needed to adopt two, and it helped a lot.  I'm still so sad over losing Little Bit and Daisy, and I still play the "what if" game in my head, but these girls are so sweet.

To end on a positive note, I'll share Lucy's adoption story and some photos.

I was actually on my way to adopt Gracie at a different shelter, because I was nervous about getting another pet from the first, but on my way, I kept thinking about Lucy, and her shelter was actually on the way so I decided to just stop and see how I felt.  When I got there and went down to see her, she reached out and grabbed me from inside her cage, so I decided to take her out and hold her.  She was so sweet and started purring immediately - there was no way that I could have put her back.  They weren't even open for adoption that day, but I think because they felt bad about Daisy, they told me to take Lucy up to the office to see if they could make an exception.  When we got to the office and they confirmed that it would be OK to adopt her, Lucy must have realized that something was happening because she just started bouncing off the walls because she was so excited.  It was very sweet!

Lucy:

Lucy (2).JPG

Lucy & Gracie:

Lucy & Gracie.JPG 
Gracie:

Gracie.JPG
Quote 0 0
Molly_Beagle_Mom_4ever
MB, First I want to say how sorry I am for your loss of Little Bit and Daisy. After losing my almost 17 year old beagle Molly, I know how very difficult losing our best little friends is. It's heart wrenching. Losing Daisy was very traumatic, but it may have actually been a blessing for her to experience your love for those last few days. Very difficult for you, but a blessing for her.

I'm so happy for you finding Lucy and Gracie. Love from our pets is the greatest, most unconditional love ever. I hope you find much peace, healing and happiness in loving them. You're a wonderful fur mom for giving all of these babies a great home. Little Bit and Daisy will remain close by, wrapped around your heart, and will continue to share their love with you too.

Molly's Mom...Dawn
Love you infinitely our little Molly. Forever and ever XOXO
Quote 0 0
MB
Hi Dawn,

Thank you for your kind words.  The vet said she probably would have died at the shelter as well so it does comfort me to know that she knew love and life outside of a cage for a few days.  She was so happy!  It comforts me to think that maybe Little Bit is looking out for baby Daisy.

I hope that you are able to find a new friend to help you cope with the loss of Molly when you are ready.  I knew about Little Bit's cancer for a year, so I had a lot of time to say goodbye and knew that I wouldn't be able to go long without a furry friend.  
Quote 0 0