Lavendar
I was so sure I was going to do the right thing when the end came for my kitties (Fuzzy 16, 2014, Buddha 17.5, 2015). Mainly because in my young, naive state when they were kittens, I didn't believe any amount of pain is acceptable for an animal.  It seems though just about everyone here, feels the complete opposite.

GRAPHIC CONTENT:
Here is a link to some footage of fuzzy during an 'episode'.  The vet(s) diagnosed a chronic intestinal condition but was stable and made us wait 3 years after onset and was so thin and seemingly starving from meds by the time it was not in her best interests to continue.  They occurred at least daily to every few days and at the end looked uncomfortable all the time.

My one wish is that I had the guts to take her to every vet (hollistic too) and spend any amount,  but the bills were already too much.  Into the $1,000's.

When her brother showed the same signs, I couldn't imagine putting him through the same thing and he had other issues that were getting worse, and said goodbye.  It's been 5 months and will never feel I did the right thing.

What would you have done?

And by all means comment on how goregous she was. 

Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
Everyone here does NOT disagree with you.   I agree with you completely.  In my opinion YOU DID THE ABSOLUTE RIGHT THING and YES she was absolutely gorgeous.   When I got my Molly as a puppy, I promised her I would NOT let her suffer.  She had a stroke at Thanksgiving and while it was FAST it was HORRIFIC. We had a perfectly normal morning with a nice walk and lunch and then suddenly she was out of control.  She was so frantic there was no comforting her or whispering in her ear. Apparently she had gone blind instantly.  I had to BEG the Vet on duty, new to us, to give her something to calm her down enough for me to even think and TRY to say goodbye to her, but I doubt she even heard me.  She was 14, which may be old for a dog, but not old enough for ME.  My calico kitty lived to 20 and I hoped at least that for Molly.  I had to let her go because it was the right thing to do for HER. 

Don't let anyone tell you that you did the wrong thing.  I doubt anyone here would judge you for your actions.  I have found this to be a very accepting place no matter what course of action they chose to take for their own pets.  I am sorry you have been through this and I understand completely what you are going through right now and it HURTS.
table.JPG 
janice
Quote 0 0
BSmith1199
I agree completely.  When my Dax was diagnosed with CRF (chronic renal failure) I researched it and what I found convinced me to promise Dax she would not go through the final stages of that disease.  Do I second guess myself about it?  All the time, but I know in my heart I did the right thing for her.
They give to us unconditionally.  They deserve the best we can give them.  That final decision is hard.  Very hard, but it is in their best interests, not ours, that we make it. 

If you truly love them, then you have to do the right thing for them.

Read my story about my Dax and see if I waited too long.

I am sorry for your losses, and as long as you believe you did the best thing for your friends, then you did.  It is that simple.
Smokey (1959-1959, car), Prissy (1966-1968, car), Tina (1955-1974, old age), Rags (1976-1980, stolen), Dax (1999-2015, my choice, due to renal failure), Shelby & Jag (2015)

You only think you are training them.  When they are gone, you finally get it.
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
((((lavendar))))  when it is our individual companion's quality of life in question (bad days vs good days, pain vs none) our hearts tell us what path we should tread and so every individual will have their own reasons for whatever decision they follow.  i have always chosen quality of life to be the basis for the ultimate decision in the end and even when i know I've done what is right for my pets my heart has broken apart as i held them and watched them go.  please never allow another to force their opinions on you whether it's regarding your pet or your life in general.  as adults we all possess the free will that God gave to us and whether our choices are right, wrong or totally inconclusive it is our right to make our decisions.  the one bad thing with bringing home littermates is that there is always the chance if one comes down with a disease, fault or illness then others from the same litter have the chance to develop the same at some point.  this is one reason why reputable breeders do an absolute insane amount of research into their lines, pedigrees and what has shown up through the years.  many go as far as to eradicate the disease from their bloodlines and these breeders should be given kudos to for their shear dedication to the breed they are devoting their lives to.  look into your heart and i believe you will find that you did what was best for your fur-babies.  you know, even if you take extraordinary means or have thousands or tens of thousands of dollars to spend, sometimes it is just our companion's time to pass and this is how it was meant for them to leave this earthly life.  rest assured that now they are young, healthy and whole again and waiting for you when it is your time to cross the bridge.  many many hugs!
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
Nothing to possibly add to that wonderful reply JerseyNonna.  That was so well said.  Couldn't agree more.

Just wish that time was longer, like a parrot or a turtle maybe.
janice
Quote 0 0
Lavendar
Thank you everyone,  many healing vibes to you and yours.  My vet was particularly hesitant with her brother, which I knew going in, making the after math so much worse.  As he was dying she talked about getting more cats.  Normally I would want to smack someone who did that, but as a vet I gave her pass for all she must see. 

I do take solace that here brother never saw it coming and went so peacefully.  I suppose a lot of it is my ego that's hurting. I created them by throwing two cats in a room and felt ultra responsible for their quality of life. I moved into a studio with great sunlight and an enclosed backyard and wouldn't move because of them.   I never thought a vet would allow this kind of thing to continue and talk me out of ending the suffering, sentencing us to endure for years.  I will never understand why I didn't study up on their sickness and hollistic methods,  so unlike me, I usually don't take no for an answer.  I guess I was more selfish than I thought, and wanted to believe I didn't have to let her go and didn't want to find out otherwise. 

It will be into retirement before I have pets again,  but they are going to benefit from all this. 

Be kind to yourselves.
Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
Retirement brings its own set of problems.  I am there now and feel that any pet I get will OUTLIVE me and then who will take care of them.  I have no one to do that and believe me that is a worry.  When we take these babies into our lives, we MUST provide for them and if we aren't here to do that-----who will?

Seems like nothing is easy anymore is it?
janice
Quote 0 0