Lynx2019
 Monsieur Clyde Le Chat (or just Clyde) went over the Rainbow Bridge some time last night or early this morning. When I said goodnight last night I asked him to go peacefully in his sleep and for once he might have listened to me.
 Clyde was not really my cat but he definitely took a piece of my heart with him. When I moved into my house over seven years ago he just walked into the house like he owned the place. Unfortunately I already had three cats of my own who were already stressed out from the move and wanted nothing to do with him.
 He very politely asked to go back out but showed up on my back deck most nights for dinner. A few weeks later he brought a "friend" with him to dine. Then his friend brought her three kittens to join the festivities. Long story short I had Clyde and then the kittens neutered when they were old enough. Never did catch Mama...
  I'm convinced that Clyde was someone's house pet who left him behind. He was a polite and affectionate gentleman who knew his house manners. And boy did he love those kittens! I had never seen a male cat "kittensit" or protect kittens so fiercely. During Hurricane Sandy in 2012 I brought the kittens, then about six months old, into the house. They are still with me; they never wanted to go outside again.
 Clyde had an adventurous and tough life outside. Several times he showed up and had obviously been in a fight. Once he had several puncture marks on his back. It looked like maybe an owl had its talons in him but that's only a guess. I begged a friend to take him to the vets since I had no transportation nor money. We couldn't find him though and I thought he had gone off to die somewhere in the woods. A week later he showed up like nothing had happened.
 Fast forward five years and many adventures later. He had not shown up for several days. This was not all that unusual; I'm pretty sure that one of the neighbors was also feeding him. Then one day he came crawling towards the house, obviously sick. His face was covered with dried mucous and he was having trouble breathing. Once again, I had no money for the vets and had tapped out all of my friends. I brought him into the house and everyone said goodbye.
 I cleaned him up as best as I could and tried to make him comfortable. However, the next day he was weaker and I knew that I too had to say goodbye. I wrapped him up in a blanket, at this point he couldn't ever stand on his own, and took him outside on the deck. After a while I went inside to get a cup of tea. When I came back out he was gone! The blanket was there but there was no Clyde in sight. I searched the yard and the woods but couldn't find him. This time I was sure that he'd gone off to die...
 Three days later as I was sitting on the deck thinking about him he came crawling out of the woods, emaciated and weak. Half way across the yard he collapsed and I ran to get him. I brought him into the house where he ate and drank a little. Gradually he gained weight and his health improved. I then informed him that he was now an inside cat no matter what he or any of the other cats said!
 Fast forward again, this time two years. Yes! Two years later!! He began losing weight again and was very lethargic. He was having a hard time making it to the litter pan; I cleaned up many of his "almost made it" attempts. Once again I wrapped him in a blanket and took him out onto the deck. He tried to make it down the stairs towards the woods but was too weak. I brought him back inside and settled him as comfortably as possible. That brings us back to last night...
 Thank-you Clyde for the almost eight years I knew you. Thank-you for the kittens: Funny Face, Lorelei, and Damian who are now seven years old! Thank-you for your love and affection and for the miracles of not dying sooner. Thank-you for being Monsieur Clyde Le Chat.

Vivian J. Ezro
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
Thank you for sharing a wonderful story about sweet Clyde. Clearly he was a very special cat and very much loved.

My condolences,
Jan
Quote 0 0
pannklaus
Clyde was an amazing cat who had at least nine lives and maybe more.  His survival instincts were impressive and the story of his life is fascinating.  I am sorry for your loss but glad that you had the years together that you did--and that you now have the "kittens" because of him.
Patsy
Quote 0 0
Lynx2019
Thank-you both for your kind words and thank-you to everyone who read Clyde's story. This is the third cat of mine that's gone over the Rainbow Bridge this year and I am devastated. Although two of them (Clyde and Zirconium) were technically stray cats it still breaks my heart that they are gone.

Lynx was sick and I finally got the money to take him to the vets this past May. When the vet said he had an inoperable mouth tumor and should be euthanized immediately I was flabbergasted to say the least. He was almost eleven years old and I had him since he was a two month old "feral" kitten.

Lynx was that special companion type of cat. He came when I called him and was always ready to play or be loved. When I took out his brush he would come running and dive underneath it. He curled up to sleep with me at night and always purred us to sleep. If I was crying he licked the tears from my face and stayed with me until I stopped. I still haven't and probably never will get over the shock of his not being there.

I'm afraid that my reaction at the vets was not very pretty. I screamed his name and laid down on him sobbing my heart out. He started purring and brushing under my hand to be petted. I ran out of the vets office and ran until I couldn't run anymore. When I went back I went back in the vet said that she could give him some pain medication if I wanted to take him home for a day or two but I didn't see the point.

Lynx behaved like a gentleman until the end. He was calm and loving as I held him and they put the needles in. He looked somewhat curious and surprised but was immediately resting peacefully and eternally. I had him buried at my nephew's house because I couldn't afford to have him cremated.

I still have Lynx's litter mate sister Kalie (Kaleidoscope Kat) and his half brother Josh (Joshua S. Cat) plus Clyde's three progeny and three other stray cats that found their way into my house and my heart. The house should still feel crowded but it feels empty without Lynx.

Vivian J. Ezro
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
Vivian,
I am so sorry to hear about Lynx. My Jagger also had a tumor in his mouth. I took him to the vet every 6 months but it did not matter. They gave him some medication but when it did not help the vet wanted me to bring him in immediately for euthanasia. It had only been a few days. I took care of him for a few more days but he was suffering so I made that final, horrible decision.

I still have Tiger but I miss Jag. I love Tiger but I feel guilty that I don't feel the same for him.

You are wonderful for caring for so many cats. Even if you don't have a lot of money they are better off. Sometimes people spend thousands on a pet and it doesn't help.

Jan
Quote 0 0
Lynx2019
Jan,

And I am so sorry to hear about Jagger. I know what you mean about feeling more strongly towards one cat than another and feeling guilty about it. I try my best not to play favorites but it happens...

I've well earned the "Crazy Cat Lady" label in my neighborhood. When some of the stray cats started turning up sick or dead I brought as many as I could into the house. Thank goodness the landlord has rescinded his original limit of three cats...

I have spent thousands on cats that did not survive and I have loaned money to people for vet bills who never paid me back.

However, one of my neighbors paid a $2000 vet bill for one of my cats that had a urinary tract infection that required emergency surgery. He is doing well but there is no chance of me paying the neighbor back anytime soon. She knew that though and couldn't bear the thought of him dying. So there are still some good people out there.

Vivian
Vivian J. Ezro
Quote 0 0