Alexa29
It's been more than fifteen months since my furbrother Schatzy passed away, and almost a years since our fursister Khali left us. We decided to adopt this cute girl who had been rescued by a relative, and though she had everything, she was also being bullied by another dog in that house. She's been with us for almost a year now and since the beginning it seemed like we would have a lot of trouble with her, because she was too strong and too nervous, and she is also a grown dog who livedthe last two years at my relative's home. She destroyed everything, she seemes so unhappy we even thought she wanted to go back to where she came from, but we didn't want to give up and we also lost all kinds of communication with this relative, we kept here, in spite of our gut telling us to send her back.

We've had very good times. She likes to jump into my bed and just lay there for hours, at my feet. I let her, because she is so sweet and she has been through such horrible situations, I want to give her all the love she hasn't known, but everytime I do, she reacts a little too nervously and poof, the magic's gone. Just a few minutes ago, I was trying to kiss her when she moved her head so strongly, she hit me and my lip started to bleed. I burst out crying because this kind of behaviour makes me miss my fursiblings even more. I feel frustrated, sad and I just don't know what to do.

I know I am wrong, because I constantly compare this girl (Nala) to my babies now in Heaven and that's not fair, not healthy at all! I don't know if I got to used to the calm of having two elderly dogs or if this girl in particular has too much energy, but sometimes I get so mad at her because she is everywhere, sometimes making me trip over her, instead of just being calmly in her seat or by the grass. I don't seem to be able to train her, maybe I just feel like there's nothing more to do, as she came trained and grown up.

Can someone help me? I love her, I truly do. I love watching her sleep in peace and just being so spoiled like she never was beforem but some days I just want her to be more like Schatzy and Khali...
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
you know hon i think you hit on something when you said "i don't know if i got too used to the calm of having two elderly dogs".  you were also used to the routine that came with your two older dogs and frankly a young one who has spent time in bad situations can be a handful.  but, you do see the sweet side to her and no matter how much we wish new fur-babies can be just like those we miss, none will be identical just as even twin humans have even small differences.  it's this individuality that makes each of us have our own personality and the same is true with our fur friends.  i'm guessing nala comes from a home where she didn't receive that much individual love like hugs and kisses (and oh those are two things that i too miss so much from my dear roxie girl) and sounds to me like she has the ability to get used to all the love you can give to her.  who knows hon, nala may become more like your schatzy and khali when she is older.  but oh she sounds like she has so much exploring in this life to do and she is excited to be about it.  if you have a Petco or petsmart near you they offer training classes.  just a thought and my guess is that once nala knows in her heart that she has a forever home with you and that you are able to love her as she is (ya good and bad - she's not an aussie, is she?  lol) and with obedience training and walks you will find you have an extraordinary friend and companion.  many many hugs.
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
Alexa29
Thanks JerseyNonna. Thank you so much. After 16 years of not having a pup, it's easy to forget how they need to explore so many things. At the age of three, Schatzy liked so much taking long walks and meeting new friends. On the other hand, Khali hated being with other dogs and liked the comfort of her bed. I guess I need to find out what Nala likes and needs. Schatzy needed some sense of adventure, he even traveled by boat once and he enjoyed it so much, while Khali needed to feel safe and secure. Maybe Nala just needs some fun. She is a very sweet and surprisingly smart dog. We used to say there was no smarter dog than Schatzy, because he was incredibly smart (and funny, and sweet, he was the best dog we could have ever wished for) but it seems we're in for a surprise with Nala.

I thinkg we are stuck, pitying her for her past and for not being appreciated in her former house. But I also think there is still a hole in our lives and in our hearts that no dog can ever fill. And I have to learn to live with that, as I let Nala have her own place. It's by far not the same. I was a teenage when Schatzy and Khali came. Now I am an adult and so many other things have changed. But I was definitely much closer to Schatzy, there's no use in pretending otherwise. And all he taught me will forever be in my heart.

I may be too depressed for a lot of things that have happend in my life recently and without my best partner in crime to help me go through this, but one thing he taught me is unconditional love, so I believe he would want me to love Nala as he taught me to.

Thanks again and a big hug for you!
Quote 0 0