DebbieD
Some of you may recall my speaking about how much Misty loved swimming and training for water rescue tests.

Her sister, Makai, has never been very fond of it, even watching her sister so keen on swimming and requalifying for her junior water title in 2008. It was a tough summer, training Makai and knowing how much Misty would've been thrilled to be a part of it.

We recently went to our club's water test (both on Saturday and Sunday - 2 chances). On the Saturday test Makai came very close to passing and I was very happy with her effort. On the Sunday test (and we lost Misty on a Sunday), we finally got this elusive title that I've been training with her for 4 summers. As Makai was towing me back to shore on the last exercise, I was full of so much emotion. It's not that it felt like a sign, but this was the site where Misty got both of her titles. It felt more like she was watching over and maybe giving her sister a little push to do what we all knew she could. And I was so proud of Makai. Very conflicting emotions. I've attached a couple shots of her doing 2 of the required exercises. Thank you Misty - Mommy thought she was doing better but has had a hard week - please know I don't want you to be upset and I want you to be enjoying yourself - you deserve it.
Quote 0 0
donnalee

Oh Debbie, that is such a cool thing you do with your babies!  I can certainly see how you'd be hit with all kinds of emotions....it stirred my emotions just reading about it.  I'm sure she was there with her sister pushing her along.   I know you are proud of both of your girls and what fine girls they are.  Thanks for sharing a great experience!

Quote 0 0
tikibarb
You must have been so proud.  Both you and Makai worked so hard and finally you are rewarded.  I am betting that Misty put her two cents in and helped Makai. Would you like me to include one or both of these pictures on Misty's quilt?  I haven't started it yet but will be soon.  I am finishing up Jasmine and Maddie's.  Halfie is next.  I think you are #4 on the list.  Not sure when I will get them done.  Shooting for before Christmas.  
Barbara Lyngarkos
My Beloved Ted 8/7/2005 - 7/7/10
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/TED001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
DebbieD
Thanks. I felt badly that during Makai's proud moment I was also upset about Misty. I had tried that AM to push it out of my mind that it was 10 weeks from losing her and had done a pretty good job as it was early and I was nervous. As she was getting through the exercise we had missed the day before, one of the judges (who I know and who has Makai's brother), said 'you know what today is, right?' and it was all I could do to get through the rest of it as we still had 2 more exercises to finish.

Thanks for the idea on the quilt Barb. I thought about it and I think I'd like to keep it just Misty. I have a pillow my mother made me after my Gwen passed and it's just Gwen, and a picture of she and I. Did I send you the picture of Misty and I after she got her carting title? We both look SO proud in that shot and I wouldn't mind having that one. Let me know if I didn't send it and I'll get it to you.
Quote 0 0
donnalee
Of course, everybody is different, Deb, but for me 10 weeks was a pivotal point in my healing.  It is almost as if I remember that point.  You know, how everyone talks about the smiles will out weigh the tears at some point?  For me, I think I started smiling genuine smiles again at 10 weeks.  Still had tears and certainly sad moments (still do sometimes at 5 1/2 months) but that was about the time when the smiles started coming easier and the tears started to decrease.   I hope things look up for you too after 10 weeks. 
You know, the memories are bound to keep coming back at specific reminders like the water rescue tests and it's probably inevitable that the emotions will flood you.  But, it's all a part of grieving and healing and you are doing so great.   
Quote 0 0
judylinn
omgoodnes. what a beautiful baby. I would be so proud too. Im sure misty was there giving her encouragement the whole time.  I would have felt the same as you, sad, but proud. It doesn't take anything away from Makai...its all love, coming from the same heart.
thanks for sharing the pictures. I love seeing other peoples babies!!
Quote 0 0
DebbieD
Thanks so much. I was especially proud of her because I know she's not really that thrilled about the water, but she finally did it for me! Yes Donna, you're right about how certain things can trigger the emotions.

Judylinn, I like how you put it - 'its all love, coming from the same heart'. I'm so grateful for Makai at this time.

I had a trigger this week that took me by surpise. I met a friend for lunch to catch up. As we were talking, she asked how my 'girls' were. As we talked, I realized I hadn't sent her the e-mail that told my friends what happened to Misty. My eyes were so full of tears that I had a hard time looking at the screen and must've missed her. So I had to tell her the whole story and wasn't expecting it. Luckily she's a huge dog lover and understood.
Quote 0 0