dlf5482
Hi, I'm new to the website.  A month ago I had to put down my beloved dog, Rocky.  I have had her almost my entire life and it feels like I have lost a part of me.  I have an assignment for my English class to write about an event in my life that made me realize something about life, society, or relationships.  I want to write about my dog's death and how powerful relationships can be between people and animals.  The first half of this essay will be a narrative on my dog's death.  This essay means a lot to me because its about my lost best friend. I want to really capture how I felt and how much she meant to me.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I will never forget her face that day. She was anxious, yet serene. No words needed to be spoken because as I locked my eyes into her big brown eyes a thousand words were exchanged. I clung to her ever so tightly, I could have held her forever.

Sitting in the waiting room I observed all the other patients and their family members. Some were happy, some sad, but no one, I thought, could possibly feel the monsoon of emotions I was feeling. We were almost immediately called back to a room. The room was so impersonal, empty white walls. Every second felt like an hour, but it was still not enough time. The doctor came in and very straight forwardly told us the news. It sounded like he had said it a million times before, “she doesn't have much time”. My whole self screamed of agony, nothing has ever hurt that much. I was crying so badly I felt as if my tears were going to flood the entire building. I could have been shot at that moment and it would be a relief from the state of my wretched heartache. The thought of having to say goodbye to her felt like someone had torn open my chest with their bare hands and ripped out my bleeding heart. I want to scream, vomit, something to alleviate the pain of having to knowingly part with my best friend. I had never known a world without her company, and I was about to be forcefully thrown into one. She was everything to me. She was the one who always provided me with strength, now I had to be strong for her.

I would have given anything to go back to the days when she was full of energy and life, but as I came to realization with my nightmare, she was old and suffering. My body quivered as I held her for the last time. I kissed her forehead, my final dreadful goodbye. A part of me left with her that day and this void in my soul will remain until we meet again. Until then she will be forever in my memory, my best friend, my dog, Rocky.

Quote 0 0
siah
sorry about your loss rocky.. we all know how tough it is to lose our best companion.. and we know exactly how you feel.

i read your comment for the school assingmnent and i am touched by it and i think you will touch other ones by it.
wish you the best and good luck

shawn 
Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
I am so sorry to hear about your loss.  Everyone here understands the depth of your sorrow now.  Bless you for loving Rocky so well, and for giving her the gift of assisting her on her final journey.  You released her from her suffering knowing your own would just begin.  There is no greater gift of love in this world.

The excerpt from your essay is beautiful and so very touching.  You're so right ~ there are no words to express the emotion we feel when we say goodbye to our best friends, but you have come just about as close as anyone I've ever known. 

Let the essay flow to your memories of Rocky's youth, and the love story that the two of you wrote together.  Start at the beginning and bring it up to the first paragraph.  Do your editing and paring down later.  Writing will be such a therapeutic thing for you.  I can tell.  The tears will flow while you write, but you will also feel gratitude beginning to flow through you.  It's such a gift to be able to touch on those feelings of thankfulness in the midst of our grief. 

Some day down the road in your healing, Rocky will arrange a meeting between you and another dog who desperately needs to know the kind of love that she knew with you.  Rocky did her job perfectly while she was here with you.  She taught you about love and commitment and true friendship.  She taught you what it means to live in a state of forgiveness and compassion.  She taught you how to wake up and greet a brand new day with joy, and to welcome the wonders that lie ahead.  She wants you to put those lessons into practice as soon as you're ready.  She will be the one to decide when that moment is, and you will feel her paw in it when the time comes.  Right now, though, it's time for you to reflect on the love you shared with Rocky.  It takes time to get through the early dark days following our goodbyes, but you will make it through.  You had the best teacher in the world,  Just because she isn't with you physically any longer, she's still right there by your side, guiding you all the way along your journey.

You and your sweet Angel Rocky are in my thoughts and prayers.

My heart is battered and bruised, but I will not let it break. It holds such precious cargo, I must protect it now. (Susie Squillions)

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Quote 0 0