Joytrujillo
5 weeks have gone by since I put my best friend down. I think that maybe this was premature of me to do . Maybe he had a little more time , I don't know .. but one thing for sure is that I feel completely devastated inside. I miss him more and more everyday and the thought of him never coming back makes me feel twice as bad. I have been having dreams of my baby and I wake up really upset when he's not there . M y dogs death has affected me more than some family members . He was such a huge part of our lifes for 15 years . I can handle the pain I feel anymore , I pray it gets better in time
Quote 0 0
Ozziemom
Joytrujillo sorry for your loss they where a very important part of our life 15 years is along time to have spent with your furbaby everyday will be different lots of ups and downs do you have Any surviving pets? It will take some time i know the pain is overwhelming one day at a time we all are going through it and it isn't easy but talking about it and not holding any emotions in will help. They say it will get easier with time and it's hard to see that now but we will get through it...
Quote 0 0
Kaddagh
I'm so sorry for your loss 😞
I too hope it will be easier in time
I said goodbye to my boy kaddagh 5 Days ago and I am struggling with the what ifs and should ofs and as you said above I feel like did I let him go too soon .. or is this all a normal part of grieving for a Euthanized furbaby x it's 10 years since I lost my childhood dog and time did help I hope it will help again this time x

Just know your furkid will be smiling down on you while waiting at the bridge 🐕

This poem helped me when I lost my dog Paddy x

I Haven't Left At All

I saw you gently weeping as you looked through photographs
You paused for just a moment at one that made you laugh;
But as you turned more pages the tears began to flow
You whispered that you missed me but I want you to know;
I softly licked those stinging tears that down your cheeks did fall
I want to help you understand I haven’t left at all.

On those days that you are overcome with sorrow, pain and grief
I rest my head upon your leg to offer some relief.
When you take our walking path I’ve seen you turn around
Because I know you surely heard my paws upon the ground.

At night while you are sleeping I snuggle at your side
You stroke my fur as you touch that place where I used to lie.
You said it’s just your heart playing tricks upon your mind
But rest assured I’m really there, my spirit’s left behind.

I know your heart is hurting; it’s like an open sore
You think my life has ended and you won’t see me anymore.
But for those of us bound tight by love, death is not the curtain call;
It’s really the eternal beginning that waits for us all
So, dear Master as you live your life I patiently await
For us to be together when you pass through Rainbow Bridge Gate x
Quote 0 0
Joytrujillo
Ozziemom wrote:
Joytrujillo sorry for your loss they where a very important part of our life 15 years is along time to have spent with your furbaby everyday will be different lots of ups and downs do you have Any surviving pets? It will take some time i know the pain is overwhelming one day at a time we all are going through it and it isn't easy but talking about it and not holding any emotions in will help. They say it will get easier with time and it's hard to see that now but we will get through it...
Quote 0 0
Joytrujillo
Thank you, no , he was my only pet. I feel so sick about it after a month. I guess my guilt for having him put down is the hardest. He had no idea that I was going to do that to him and it kills me inside looking at his face for the last time. He was a huge part of my life and it's lonely without him. I went to the shelter to look at possibly getting another one and I just cant , no one can compare to him. Maybe someday. I'm thankful we have support here!
Quote 0 0
Ozziemom
Joytrujillo wrote:
Thank you, no , he was my only pet. I feel so sick about it after a month. I guess my guilt for having him put down is the hardest. He had no idea that I was going to do that to him and it kills me inside looking at his face for the last time. He was a huge part of my life and it's lonely without him. I went to the shelter to look at possibly getting another one and I just cant , no one can compare to him. Maybe someday. I'm thankful we have support here!
Quote 0 0
Ozziemom
I know the guilt I too had to put Ozzie down and he nor I expected it I didn't expect it to go that way unfortunately we are left with that decision and when it's unexpected it is difficult I have a hard time letting go of that dreadful night and I try to tell myself that I made the right choice for him but it comes back every now and again to haunt me. I only had Ozzie too and life so far has changed so much it's very lonely days where I just don't know what to do with myself and the time. I would like to get another but when the time is right you will know let your heart tell you when
Quote 0 0
Joytrujillo
Ugh,I feel just like you. It is so hard right now, I'm thankful I have someone to talk to about this because I don't know what I would do, I was told by friends and family that he was only a dog and they couldn't understand why I was so devastated. I told them , he was with me for 15 year, I found him abandoned at Whole Foods at three weeks of age, I had to bottle feed him, he was like a child to me . Some people are so cruel to make comments like that, I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you
Quote 0 0
Ozziemom
It is hard your friends and family will not understand the depth of your devastation because they didn't know the bond you and your furbaby had and never experienced that kind of bond and the life and purpose they provide to us. People can be very rude and people will not understand no matter how much you try to explain I recently wrote a letter to Ozzie on the forum we will never get over it we get through it it doesn't get better it gets different and as we know it's different I find I am always trying to stay busy especially at home it's tough not even sure how I do it some times to be honest I cry everyday and that's ok we need to do that 14 and 15 years is a long time to care and love no matter what anyone else thinks only you understand that love it will be tough Bless you Joytrujillo for rescuing your precious furbaby at only 3 weeks you saved him he truly was like a child Ozzie was mine too I totally understand and living alone makes it harder cause we always had someone to come home too and now it's empty I am here for you
Quote 0 0
Joytrujillo
Ozzie is such a cute name! What kind of dog? Yes let's keep in touch, I could use someone to talk to every so often
Quote 0 0
Ozziemom
Thank you his name suited him he is a shih Tzu tell me about your furbaby if you don't mind sharing I would love to hear more about him
Quote 0 0
miztina249
Joytrujillo wrote:
5 weeks have gone by since I put my best friend down. I think that maybe this was premature of me to do . Maybe he had a little more time , I don't know .. but one thing for sure is that I feel completely devastated inside. I miss him more and more everyday and the thought of him never coming back makes me feel twice as bad. I have been having dreams of my baby and I wake up really upset when he's not there . M y dogs death has affected me more than some family members . He was such a huge part of our lifes for 15 years . I can handle the pain I feel anymore , I pray it gets better in time

I'm so sorry Joy, I am going through the same thing. I'm still a bit in shock over how fast things went, now I feel guilt that we acted too soon. The only thing that comforts me even a tiny bit is that we probably spared him suffering. He was starting to suffer and his problems were not going to be fixed by surgery, yet he needed surgery...Our vet said it was a very real possibility that he could die from the surgery...We kept hitting the same wall. He was sick with multiple things, he was getting old at almost 14 and he was behaving like he was in pain and distress and also a bit senile. We made what we thought was the best decision. I let my Husband be the ultimate decision maker for some reason he was more bonded to Polo than he probably is to me! He seemed so certain, now he has the same guilt as I do. When we talk about it we both agree we did the right thing, but still can't feel at peace with it. It is a horrible feeling and creates a lot of anxiety.

I know what you mean about his death affecting you more than the passing of family members. Some people might find that odd to say (we probably won't find any of them here), but it is true for me as well. I've lost my father and brother, but this loss has leveled me. Relationships with humans that we love are complicated, our relationships with our beloved animals are pure 100% unconditional love, always reciprocated...How are you going to top that?
Quote 0 0
Joytrujillo
My baby was the most awesome dog ever! We had such a great and loving bond since I found him abandoned at wholefoods when he was 3weeks old! I'm not sure how someone could drop a sweetheart like that off all alone. I guess he was meant for me, thank you god! He would go everywhere possible with me and my kids. Camping, boating, fishing, the parks, coffee runs, vacations , everywhere but my work. We loved him so very much and he had such a unique personality. He loved fruits and vegetables, so we would sit and eat those together, small amounts for him though. He was such a good dog, never peed or pooped in the house , he would jump on my bed if I was asleep to let me know, lol, he was a little mischievous when he was a pup.. we went to the park one day and he pulled out a rose bush from the roots and ran though the park with it! Oh my gosh, I was embarrassed. He loved to lay outside in the morning and watch the birds. He also liked to watch the lizards climb up the wall outside . I have a ton of great memories with my sweetie. Wish he was here... i am so happy I have a place to share with others who are going through the same hurt as me.. my baby was my best friend, we shared good times and bad times,!he was the shoulder I cried on when I was sad. What a great gift from god....
Quote 0 0
Joytrujillo
Thank you! I feel like we all went through the same stuff. I'm sorry for your loss
Quote 0 0