Kimcarlson1974
Hello....on August 28 I took my Jack russel /daschund mix Emma in for a spay. She was 1 1/2 years old and around noon I got the call. She had gone into cardiac arrest at the end of the surgery. She was revived after 7 minutes but was in a coma like state. So we immediately drove to our vets office. I was shocked by what I saw. My baby girl who was very energetic and was so exited to be going on a car ride that morning, was laying there lethargic. Her tongue hanging out. Her eyes were open and blinking but not moving. The vet let me hold her and warned me she may become “vocal”. She did at one point while rearing her head back and peeing all over me. Then she quieted down. It did seem at one point she knew I was there because she responded to me petting her. At that time the vet said he thought she had a 30% chance of not coming out of it. We left to pick up our sons from school and returned. When we seen her next she had completly changed. She was still blinking her unmoving eyes and laying on her side but her legs were in a constant running motion. The motion did slow when I petted her back and spoke to her in her ear. And she even scooted a little towards me. And then she became vocal again and the vet came in a sedated her. He told me I could take her home but advised I leave her there and he would put a camera on her so he could monitor her from his home and we could see how she was in the morning. However I got a call around 7:30 pm saying her condition had worsened. He had actually taken her home to his house to care for her and her running motion was worse and she pulled out her IV. He suggested she be euthanized. All I could think of was her suffering. So I allowed her to be eusthanized. It’s been over a month and I can’t stop wondering if I made the right choice. I miss her so much and I don’t know how to move on. And the saddest thing is we just got a new puppy a week before she died to be playmates. The new puppy Annie is so much like her and is the same mix and I love her a lot. But Emma and I had a very special bond. She was my soul puppy. She helped me feel better after I was finished with my cancer treatment. I still cry over her loss. She was my pup pup. She slept with me. She rode with me. We had our walks. She did a cute little rooo howl. She even picked out what dress she wanted to wear when I held two up. She got so excited over those clothes. Lol. I pretend with my family that my heart is ok but it’s breaking every single day. I’m devastated. I don’t think I will ever be over her.
Quote 0 0
William
I’m so sorry for your loss. This story had me in tears. Please post a picture if you are up to it.
I had a purebred daschund I know that “ roo roo “ bark.

Don’t hide your grief and sadness. Don’t pretend you are ok. It’s not healthy for you. Grief is a part of life we all experience. You are a role model for your children in how you deal with it. Generations before us never talked about this process. We need to voice ourselves.

I’m so sorry for your loss.
Kim
Kim
Quote 0 0
gizmomybaby
Am so sorry for your loss of your sweet Emma & so young too , Its a heavy pain in your hart to lose a fur baby , I lost my boy gizmo over 9 weeks ago and Il never get over it . Its the worse pain ever , that must have been so hard for you to watch . I make out to my family am ok but inside am broken unfixable, this is the best place to be on here you get alot of support and read about other peoples fur baby's and theyr loss . Its a love & bond that never dies , you just miss theyr character,them greeting you coming in the door with unconditional love , they never let you down & the love you feel for them is out of this world. Am so sorry for the hard time you are going through I know how you feel its crushing . Sending hugs & prayers for you Annemarie x
Quote 0 0
Jairbear
I am so sorry to hear about your poor little girl. I can't even imagine going through something so traumatizing. One of my hardest things is knowing that my boy died out of the blue way too early, in the prime of his life. It seems so unfair for such beautiful, loving creatures to go so long before their time should have been. I agree with William that you should own your pain and it doesn't matter if other people don't understand it. I've gotten some funny looks when I burst out crying but I don't care what they think. If they love you, they'll understand and help you slowly learn to live with your grief. I don't think anyone ever gets over their beloved furbaby, but we can learn to keep moving and share the lesson of unconditional love that our animals taught us.
Kristen
Quote 0 0
Kimcarlson1974
Me sweet Emma Lou. The picture of her laying was the last pic I took of her at the vets office.
Quote 0 0
Kimcarlson1974
William. Your baby was so cute.
Quote 0 0
gizmomybaby
Shes absolutely beautiful x
Quote 0 0
Ollies_Grieving_Mama
What a cutie pie! She looks really sweet.
Ollie's Grieving Mama
Quote 0 0
Kimcarlson1974
Thank you. She was the best!
Quote 0 0