Happys_Dad
Happy was a birthday gift back in 2007 hence the reason for his name Happy. We were I separable. He went everywhere with me. I took him for walks and rides in my truck. He slept in bed with me as well. The last couple of weeks have been tough. It appeared his breathing was getting difficult. We took him to our regular vet and had tests done. His blood work was fine and ex-rays came back normal. The vet put him on an antibiotic. Two days later there was no improvement. He was larthgic and hardly ate. By weekend he was struggling to breathe so I drove him to 24 hour emergency vet hospital. They couldnt find anything wrong but gave more antibiotics in case there was some type of infection. Brought Happy home. The next couple of days were heart wrenching as I watched him struggle to breathe. Our vet now tried steroids which wasn't working. I had to make a decision as his oxygen level was dropping rapidly. On thursday 12/14/17 i said goodbye and made a selfless decision to end his suffering. I asked the vet if I was making a right decision before the procedure. She said yes. I keep beating myself up thinking we missed something and could have treated him. I still don't know what was causing his difficulty breathing. Dearest Happy. I love you so much. The past 10 years were amazing.
Quote 0 0
Sampson
Happys_Dad, Please accept my deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved Happy. If Happy was finding it hard to breathe, lethargic and not eating much, I would say there was a huge problem. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what the specific diagnosis is although it would give you more peace of mind but you knew your boy was suffering and you did what was best for him. Give yourself a big pat on the back for putting Happy's needs ahead of your own. You released him from his suffering and that took a lot of courage. It was really an act of selfless love. I know how it feels although it's been almost 2 years since I lost Sampson. I remember well the pain and all of the questions we ask and torture ourselves with but you did the right thing. Don't doubt it. Take Care.
Sam
Quote 0 0
nosunshine
My condolences too on the loss of Happy. I think his name was awesome and I also think it lived up to the life you provided for him! It's so hard losing him I really do understand. I lost my little Shih tzu a short time ago and my life as I knew it has stopped. Hang in there Happys_Dad!
Sharon
Quote 0 0
Pawsitively_Heartbroken
There are no words for the loss you are experiencing, and I'm so sorry that you lost your sweet boy. Life gives us such wonderful gifts, like 10 years with our beloved counterparts. But in the same breath life can be so cruel, because 10 years will never be enough. You have to know, however, it's not your fault! Things happen that are out of our control, and unfortunately sometimes the reasons are never explained to us.
Happy has found a peaceful place without pain. Remember the 10 beautiful years you shared and try to smile when you can. That's was your sweet boy would want to see.
Quote 0 0